Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Left-handed Shooter

splashdown

I have a friend that has a little HK4 in .380 that he's looking to sell so he can get a larger caliber for home defense and to break into Production division.

What do you lefties shoot and why? I'm wondering what pistols have ambi or reversible mag releases. Those I know of are Berettas, HK, SW99/P99, SA XD. Any others? He's handled my guns (Glock, Beretta, HK P7) and I don't think he's too excited about any of them. The mag release on the glock cuts into his hand. Not sure why the Beretta doesn't excite him much. Do the CZ 75 series offer ambi controls?

Help me get a new shooter started in USPSA.

thanks

splashdown

I have a friend that has a little HK4 in .380 that he's looking to sell so he can get a larger caliber for home defense and to break into Production division.

What do you lefties shoot and why? I'm wondering what pistols have ambi or reversible mag releases. Those I know of are Berettas, HK, SW99/P99, SA XD. Any others? He's handled my guns (Glock, Beretta, HK P7) and I don't think he's too excited about any of them. The mag release on the glock cuts into his hand. Not sure why the Beretta doesn't excite him much. Do the CZ 75 series offer ambi controls?

Help me get a new shooter started in USPSA.

thanks

splashdown

not a lefty ... but if I was him i would shoot an 9mm XD in production ... they are coming with 3 high caps and a holster for like 500 or so ... get a mag carrier and your shooting ...I would get one more mag also...they feel and shoot about the same left or right.

I'm a lefty also.

Don't worry about the ambi controls..using your trigger finger to actuate the mag release is very effective and doesn't require a grip shift.

I shoot a Glock 34. The mag release does bite at first but wears down over time.

If you choose a 1911, go with a King's Ambi thumb safety.

Good luck!

coming from a lefty who's been shooting in a right handed world for a while:

I wouldnt really worry about controls...shoot what is comfertable to you, and dry fire, dry fire, dry fire....

i wouldnt use your trigger finger to release the mag, IMO use your middle finger, to me it allows you to get every thing back on target faster, dry fire practice will help you work your muscle memory in and make it second nature. Work on limiting extra movement to a minimum.

being left handed has many advantages in action shooting..... :D

Edited by Airic

What others have said about the mag release and controls.

If there is a range near by that rents guns, have your friend try out CZ85, Sig 226, S&Ws, USPs and what ever else they have to offer that is within his budget in addition to your battery to see what works for him.

Also figure on needing at least 5 mags and holster so set aside some of the $$$ for accessories.

coming from a lefty who's been shooting in a right handed world for a while:

I wouldnt really worry about controls...shoot what is comfertable to you, and dry fire, dry fire, dry fire....

i wouldnt use your trigger finger to release the mag, IMO use your middle finger, to me it allows you to get every thing back on target faster, dry fire practice will help you work your muscle memory in and make it second nature. Work on limiting extra movement to a minimum.

being left handed has many advantages in action shooting..... :D

use your left hand pinky...

Just kidding. Bottom line is you can use index, middle, ring finger as long as you are:

1. safe

2. comfortable

eventually, you'll find your sweet spot. follow what you feel and think is best for you.

I shoot 1911 type pistol and use my left hand trigger finger to release mag.

But! my mag relaese button spring is 'tweaked' real light that my average reload

is sub 1.0 sec.

In out-of-the-box pistol, it might take me longer to do that. I might even use a different finger or technique to drop my mags.

+2 on dry fire B)

If your friend wants to shoot production the 1911 platform is obviously ruled out. Most polymer guns these days are lefty-friendly, including the Springie XD, Glock (he can soften the sharp edges on the mag release), S&W M&P, CZ, etc.

BTW, as a lefty, he will want the mag release on the left side of the gun -- where it already is. Your friend should go to a gunshow and start pawing a lot of guns. It won't help him decide what he likes the most (only live fire works for that), but it will help him rule out what he doesn't like. He may end up going through a lot of guns before finding one that he can live with. At least in the gun world, first impressions aren't always lasting impressions.

Coming from a lefty... I shoot a Glock and wouldn't think of recommending anything else at this point. Aside from the fact that it's a great gun in MANY respects, since the safeties are internal (or in the trigger), this means that it all works for me without any effort on my part. The controls for mag release and slide lock are also manageable with the index finger; I haven't tried the mag release with the middle finger, but I can certainly see that as workable, especially if you built the habit up early.

Years ago when I was investigating different guns, I did the rental thing at an indoor range, and one thing I noticed was the lack of brass bouncing off my forehead (or down the back of my shirt, or down the front of my shirt, or stuck on top of my safety glasses!) while shooting the Glock, which tends to eject more to the side than straight back, which would be over a righty's shoulder. Of course, this was back when I was shooting in a Weaver stance. Having switched to an isosceles, I don't think I've had that issue since.

Regarding the mag release cutting into his finger, there's two solutions: 1) you're probably using the extended release from a G34/35, which can be very easily swapped out for the shorter release from the G17(ish) models (these are dirt cheap, btw, and legal to swap in production as long as they're made by Glock); 2) you can take a bit of sandpaper and sand the sharp edges off, which worked for me. The short version: get the standard sized release and sand it to comfort. Alternately, there's a fair amount of aftermarket releases available, but they won't be legal for production.

Another option might be the new Smith and Wesson M&P. I haven't seen one or even heard of anybody shooting one yet, but from the ads it sounds like it's fully ambidextrous, and the swapable grips sounds cool as well. I think H&K's are also fully ambidextrous with some modifications.

Maybe it's an urban myth, but I've also heard that if you contact Glock, they sell left handed models, but they have to be special ordered. I have no idea what would be entailed in this--or even why it would be worth the hassle--but if your friend is really into it, he can investigate the possibility.

Lefty here.

I agree with the above comments regarding ambi controls. With the exception of a slide safety for the right handed thumb (1911 traditional safety is a good example, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to operate with the left hand) all the other "right handed" controls are typically pretty easy to operate with the left index finger.

I would suggest SA XD or the Glock as a good starter gun, simply because they have a minimum of controls to manipulate and they happen to both be cheap, yet very good, pistols. But, as with all subjective things, YMMV. If your friend likes CZs, or 1911ish pistols, he will need to find one with an ambi safety, or have one added.

On a side note- I own a couple XDs, which have an ambi mag release, and I use my index finger to drop the mag. It may be habit, but I do feel like my index finger reaches and engages the release more quickly than my thumb.

Edited by baa

If you're looking for a Production / Carry gun, heres what comes to mind.

I prefer the extra power of the 40 over 9mm for a self defense weapon.

A 5" tactical model XD 40 with minor loads would be fine in production.

It has the advantage of an ambi mag release which gives him some options on the controls.

Load up some high cap mags with full power ammo and it's bad guys beware.

If your friend prefers a 1911 style pistol he should consider a Para LDA.

Go to a gun shop with an indoor range that rents guns.

He should try a wide variety of makes and models then go with what feels most comfortable.

Tls

Southpaws Rule

Edited by tlshores

Lefty here. Cannot comment on the competition element as I am a serious newbie, but I will say that I swapped my Beretta over to lefty and I engage the release with my thumb with consistent results. Not fast, consistent. Unfortunately with the Beretta v. Glock or XD you have to deal with a not so good trigger. The Glock and the XD are much better IMO. when I have the extra cash, I will be swapping over to Glock or XD, or maybe to .45 class.

James

I'm left-handed. Shoot a G34 in Production, just got a G35 for Limited.

I dump mag with middle finger, too..... and find the Glock about the easiest to use for me. I had XD's for a while, and they were fine, but ended up with Glock and haven't looked back. YMMV.

Mike

Thanks for all the replies. I know what you're all saying about dumping the mag with the strong side middle or index finger. I'm a righty and reversed the catch on my Berettas and I'd use my strong side middle finger as well. It's totally comfortable to me. He'll just have to get used to it I guess :lol:.