Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Stars...whos And Why?

Brazos

Our club bought the MGM star. Very durable, easy to assemble and transport. The legs are the only shortcoming, squared tubing that once it gets shot up, doesn't do a good job of holding the thing up. Replace it with black pipe..

about 550 shipped to your door.

An original TX Star from Ashton (IMO the best-- I give it props for the best plate attachment and coolest looks) is one-person portable, but heavy and not fun. I think the MGM may be a small bit lighter, but I've never tried to carry one of those.

Terry Ashton's Texas Star is the only one available with optional springs and plates suitable for use with .22lr. The center is drilled so that 2,3,4,or 5 arms can be attached for variety. As was said at the start of this thread... "There's really only one".

Edited by bpowe

Terry and Linda get my vote. The Texas Star is quite durable. Our club still has the original one. Yes, you saw it first at San Angelo Gun Club.

Ditto Shred's comment.

Mike's star has it's place. It is made of rifle-grade steel...soooo for a real challenge, how about rifle star at 100 yards. No, we haven't done it...yet. Mike demonstrated again how much class he has when he designed his version of the star. He called Terry and Linda to ask permission.

Either one will serve you well. I do, however, like the attachment system in the Ashtons' Texas Star a little better.

Liota

I'd like some feedback on who you all thinks makes the best Texas Star, and why its the best.

Which do you use at your club and what do you feel are its stengths and weaknesses?

Thanks,

B

Do they make one that doesn't spin? That would get my vote. :)

-Cuz.

The original is the best and Terry and Linda are great people to deal with. River City bought one with the clip system that holds on the plates like MGM uses. I don't know if it was made by MGM, but they're not happy with it. It spins slower than Terry's does and the clips started to wear out almost immediately.

As a disclaimer, I think MGM makes super products and Mike is a great guy to do business with, but I think Terry's original Texas Star is the best. For all our other steel though, we buy from MGM.

A Texas Star that doesn't spin? Can't help you there, but ask Terry about the Star with the pulley and drop weight (like a Windmill) on it...or ask about the "double Star" (two Stars on the same shaft)...

A