Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Stop

Ignatz

Most pistols for precision shooting have trigger stops that allow for no back travel after the hammer or whatever releases. Why don't revolvers have set screws for a trigger stop? And in action shooting does a trigger stop hurt your scores? Thanks

I've seen lots of trigger stops throughout the years. I had one on my older revolvers where the gunsmith drilled a hole in the trigger and inserted a set screw with a rubber back so that I could pull almost through the action but then have a slight pull against the rubber for the gun to go off. Worked great for slow fire and did a remarkably good job in USPSA shooting long ago. Now I've found it is better to pull straight through without staging and the trigger stop isn't needed. I just get off the trigger as fast as possible after the shot instead of letting the trigger hang there.

Most N-frames actually have an internal trigger stop.....it's that pin that rides inside the rebound spring. Only problem is these are never fitted correctly for DA shooting (properly fit for DA, a trigger stop will actually disable the gun's single-action capability). For years, I have made and installed my own internal stops from drill rod, it's time-consuming to get it right, lots of trial and error, disassembly and reassembly.

Some guns seem to have more noticeable backlash than others. In my hands, a little trigger overtravel doesn't bother me a whole lot as long as the cylinder locks in nice and early, with what I call "plenty of pre-time." When timing gets iffy, I seem to notice backlash more, I suppose because I'm still cranking the cylinder around on its axis. (Torque, baby, torque.....!!)

I never cared for the rubber-tipped stops designed for use in "staging" the trigger PPC-style, like AZshooter I like to roll the trigger right on through with no hesitation.

Trigger stops are for accuracy games like PPC. I have one on my PPC gun, but only really use it for the 50 yard line (almost everybody shoots double action at the 50 yard line these days, even though it's the only place in the course of fire that you're allowed to shoot single action. The double action has a better suprise break). At 25 yards and in I pull straight through the stop. I set my stop real light so you have to work to find it. Trigger stops just seem to get in the way at IPSC speeds, and besides, one more thing to go wrong.

Only you can be the judge of whether or not a "stop" is effective.

I use one and it stops at .020" after the hammer release. Basically, you dont really feel the break.

I feel the same trigger tension through-out the pull without that last second "jerk" when the hammer falls. It gives me better sight control and a slightly shorter trigger travel. I dont have the need to "pull through" beyond the release. With practice you well develop an instinct of where its at and muscle memory will kick-in and get your finger in-and-out with a smooth rhythm.

Give it a try!!

I personally wouldn't speed shoot without one !!!

Dan......

Edited by D.carden

Dan, a stop that is adjusted to halt trigger travel after the hammer release is just fine.

But some guns are set up with rubber-tipped screws, silicone, pencil erasers, or whatever, for the purpose of actually slowing the trigger pull just before the hammer release, to aid in deliberately "staging" the trigger (pulling quickly through most of the trigger pull until just before the hammer break, then slowly and deliberately squeezing off the shot). Some of the PPC guys like this concept, but it's pretty much BS for what we do.

Edited by Carmoney

Mike

I believe I saw one of those at A2.

Yeah, the "soft" staging version is a definite no-no for speed shooting.

Ignatz didn't mention the soft-tip version only an over-travel stop.

Hope this clarifies things for him!!

Edited by D.carden

I never understood the function of a triggerstop. The hammer release is what makes the shot, not the moment after the trigger pull (over travel). To me it always looked like the trigger stop could actually throw your shots off, because any flaw in trigger control during the over-travel phase would be directly transferred to the gun.

But I'm prolly just a dumb SOB ;):D

Spook.

I hear ya man.

We all take a different road here.

To me, with excess over travel, I feel a loss of control.

I even installed one on my Glock (i know i should'nt be using the "G" word here) because the over travel was throwing my shots off, "BADLY".

It staightened things up real nicely. :D:D

Randy puts those pencil tipped stops in, at least mine. Works ok, doesn't ding the frame. Clark will put a solid one in, will scar the frame but works good. I always worried the internal ones would stress the Rebound Pin at speed.

I like them so it removes the possibility of SA (forces me to concentrate on DA). Plus, I always felt that without the Trigger Stop the Recoil tended to cause lateral shot dispersion when shooting odd positions, weak hand or if you had a bad grip.

Staging the trigger in IPSC/Speed Shooting is not considered a good thing. But, I noticed in one of the Shooting Shows of JM at the IRC that he did "STAGE" the trigger, at least on one stage.

Staging the trigger seems to give me a different POI, or maybe I'm just jerking when I try to stage.

But, in the end it's what works for you. It's not needed unless you think so.

But, I noticed in one of the Shooting Shows of JM at the IRC that he did "STAGE" the trigger, at least on one stage.

Not to imply that JM didn't stage his trigger, but one of the things you will notice is that his cylinder is turning as soon as the shot breaks while he is transitioning to the next target. That cylinder has to turn to shoot. If you wait to pull the trigger until you have your shot lined up it's almost like a standing reload.

FWIW

dj

The course I saw I am sure was the Far to Near? with 50 yard shots. He had an obvious fast/steady pull then would hesitate, noticably, and squeeze the shot off. He did all six shots of the string that way.

It was interesting in that his pull was the same, release and next shot pull, as normal then he would freeze at that last moment.

I've actually had better groups if I don't do that. Usually it's a sign I'm not confident in my trigger work. Or I've been working on new loads and "worrying" about groups.

Not that JM would EVER worry about his trigger work.

Staging the trigger is a great way to pull out a little more accuracy, especially on tough shots. In PPC most guys have the soft rubber stops specifically to aid in finding the spot right before the hammer falls.

With practice you can train to find that spot very quickly, almost to the point where observers wouldn't notice it. I believe Jerry uses this technique on occasion, if you watch his video he mentions something to this effect.

Another trick I learned in PPC was to over insert your finger into the trigger, so that a large portion of the tip (with my finger the crease of the joint rests on the left edge of the trigger) is on the trigger. When you pull the trigger the tip of your finger will contact the rear of the trigger guard at the sweet spot right before the hammer falls.

Again, most of this stuff is useless for IPSC, but it doesn't hurt to have some extra tricks up your sleeve, especially learning how to find that sweet spot quickly when you're shooting 25 yd plates...

Not that JM would EVER worry about his trigger work.

I think Jerry worries a great deal about his trigger work, that's what makes him so good ;) .

What dajarrel X2.

In Jerry's video he refers to "staging" as "prepping the trigger" he also refers to keeping the cylinder moving from target to target.

He says that this prepping technique is to smooth out the transition from target to target and not move to a target with a "dead gun." This section in the video was all about the wise use of time...

All I can say is from personal observation, (RO'ing at the IRC) that Jerry's "trigger prepping" technique works for him. He is accurate and fast. (very close grouping of shots)

BTW: Even Jerry get the occasional B zone hit.

Personally, I never felt a difference using or not using an over-travel stop. I try to release the trigger as soon as the shot breaks. I have also become more conscious of "keeping the cylinder moving" from target to target. My overall accuracy has improved. I now have alot less spread shots.

Just me,

Renny