Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody Own A Dillon Sl 900, Shot Shell Reloader

I was perusing the Blue Press today, and I was eyeing the SL 900.

Clickey this, if you haven't seen it before:

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?...1&cookieClean=1

I think it only does 12, 20 and 28 gauge.

Figuring that most people would just go to Wal-Mart for 12 and 20 gauge shells, which price out around 4 to 5 bucks for a box of 25 (Winchester double A hulls), it just doesn't seem that the SL 900 would be cost effective to have in those 2 gauges.

For 28 gauge, I'm not so sure. I haven't really priced them, and I don't know if Wally World actually carries them.

Also, I'm not all that educated on the various versions of trap and skeet that may require competitors to have a 12, a 20, a 28 , and .410 shotgun. I know there are some makers out there that sell one gun with 3 or 4 barrel sets.

It just seems to me that the most expensive trap/skeet ammo is going to be in 28 and in .410. Consequently, it would, at least to me, make the most sense to make a machine(s) for those two gauges.

Anyhoo...I'm starting to ramble here. I'll have to do a search for trap/skeet/sporting clays forums and then do a search for the SL 900.

Thanks,

Chills

P.S. For now, I am saving my 12 gauge AA hulls, even though I don't have a reloader for it yet.

Buyer beware at Wally World. Rifle ammo is crap! Turn up the speed on those presses and drop Q-C this is a Wall Mart run! There Remington firearms line is Remington's economy grade! Your local gun shop can't and won't carry that line, it is only available to Wall Mart! Call Remington and ask why what you got at the Mart is crap chances are they will tell you, they did me!

Chills,

Years ago I used to reload shotgun shells. I was a teenager and it was alot of fun and occasionally I would have one of those "pffftttttt" sounds and I would have to turn the barrel down to roll the shot out of it. Reloaders have come a long way in the ensuing years and I'm sure if Dillon makes one, it is the best.

For economy, it would depend on what you are doing. For me, Wally world has a box of 100 field loads for $15-16 that run almost without fail in my Benelli. I don't shoot skeets or those other aerial targets so the break even point is something I have no knowledge of.

But... If you are wanting to customize your particular load for your gun... then reloading is the place to be. One of the neatest aspects of reloading is making a cartridge just for my gun.

I have a 16 guage single shot that was the first shotgun I ever had. I have to keep my eyes open for shells as a lot of places only sell limited stock. One day I may have to reload if I want to shoot it.

FWIW

dj

I had two (2) Dillon SL900's and couldn't get either one to run on a regular no hassle basis...both were back to Dillon (great customer service) twice. And the guy I sold them to still has trouble.

I bought two MEC 9000H hydraulic presses (well two presses and one pump) they run great and I have had no trouble.

I love my Dillon 550/650's but I think they missed the boat on that SL900.

Just my .02

I have the SL900 with the 28 gage convertion as well. it is very nice. = I do not shoot 4,000 match targets now so it is gathering dust. just like the hangun you can 'tune' a load to the gun and target type. I shot mostly a 15/16th oz load and a 1-1/8 9 shot load for close targets.

The 28 gage was ware the lager savings comes in with 1/2 to 5/8 loads. The lead is the most exspensive part. to get "hard shot" it went over $17 & $18 a 25bl bag.

At discount stores the shot is not normaly 'hard" and 28gage amoe is at $6.50 and over per box = $65 a case

The National event had to be shot with factory amoe = I did not like the Factory amoe.

two of our ranges in San Antonio closed so I drifted away and back to just handgun.

Unless you want to 'make custom" loads for your guns the factory stuff is more cost efective.

If you have an overand under with a tube set for sub gauges thin the press is a good Idea.

I used to get lead 250 to 500 bl at a time to keep the cost low. You only get 340 rounds out of a 25 bl bag of lead. a bl of powder = is only good for about 500 rounds and good wads are close to $7 a hundered.

I would trade off my sl900 for a 1050 if I could keep from having seperation disorder.

Ah..Thanks for the honest replies everyone. I did a search on some shotgun forums. I found some mixed reviews about it.

The one die hard supporter of the Dillon SL 900 also included a pic of his reloading bench. Well, he had two 1050's already setting on it in addition to his SL 900.

I heard some mixed comments about the Mec 9000 loaders too.

The main thing everyone came back to say was that you could buy two Mecs for the price of one SL 900.

I just imagine that Dillon isn't selling too many of 'em. That's all.

Chills

Chills;

Before you drop the bucks on a shotshell reloader, I suggest you take a look at this thread. For the 1000 rounds / year of shotgun I shoot it doesn't pay to reload.

If you want to cost it out, I used this shotshell reloading cost calculator. For components I used my local reloading supply guy, e-reloading.com.

But if you've got your heart set on reloading shotshells, there's some good links in the above thread for alternatives to the Dillon.

Over the years - from 900 owners, guys I've sold 900's to, and Dillon Precision, I've gathered a little feedback on the SL 900.

It isn't a "plug and play machine" - by any means. You need to be the kind of guy that can notice subtle details and make very subtle changes/modifications to get it dialed in. If you are that person, and you stick to one kind of hull, especially AA's, it will work great - much more efficiently than any other machine on the market. Especially in 12 ga. I've also been told that the 900 works best in 12 ga., next best in 20, next in 28... and it couldn't be made to work in 410. From other feedback - I think most shotgun reloaders work best in the larger gages. As well as if you always use the same brand of hull.

be

I've been reloading with a 12 ga. MEC Grabber 76 for over 25 years. It's solid, reliable, and at my reloading volume (1000-1500 / yr.) I have no issues with it. If I wanted to load multiple gauges, I'd just buy X number of Grabbers. From what I've read of the SL900, it's probably a great deal when set up for the same gauge/load. Like my 650, changeovers are likely a pain, and long runs in a given load are necessary to justify both that and the initial cost.

have a SL900 and love it! I bought it when they first came out (waited about 6 months for it). I shoot 200-300 rounds a week. If you are going to use it for Trap or Skeet it is a great machine.

1000-1500 rounds a year probably won't justify the cost of the SL900 and you won't develop the "feel" of the machine. If you do go with the Dillon here are a few things that I have learned.

Pick one type of hull/powder/wad & Shot combo and stay with it. I use Win AA hulls Clays powder and Duster wads. If you use multiple types or brands of hulls and vary loads you will drive yourself nuts trying to tweak it for every change.

It does not like shot sizes larger than 6. They tend to get stuck in the funnel portion of the shot drop tube and usually drop right after the shell plate rotates.

Only loads 2 3/4" shells

If your familiar with or own a XL650 it is the same basic platform, but most of the small parts do not interchange.

If you are going to use anything but a single piece wad (shot cards, buffers, spreaders etc) buy a single stage press.

Wad height is critical on the SL900, it is adjusted on the station that inserts the wad, specs are in the manual.

If you are going to load multiple gauges, I load 12 & 20, it is a good way to go.

About a year or two ago, Dillon replaced the crimp starter and final crimp dies on my 12 ga head with a newer style. The new dies made a tremendous difference in the machine.

If you load 20ga a small shim washer between the shell plate and the bolt head will keep the ejector wire from catching on the shell plate and spilling shot from the uncrimped shells.

If your shooting trap or skeet the new Bio clay birds are harder to break than the old ones. If you get a chance to walk downrange from a trap you will find a lot of unbroken birds with holes through them. They were hit but didn't break. Those low ball shells can cost you a match.

Edited by calhunter

Oh man change the hull and your dead in the water. but I do love my 900

On my P/W I switch between different hulls and wads all the time I reload Estate, Federal Top Gun, Win AA, Rem STS, Fiocchi, and Cheddite (aka, Kent, Ballistic Products Multi-Hull and some others) I also use about 6 different wads including spreaders with posts in the center. They all load 100% with no adjustment of the press except for the wad height and that would go without saying, due to the fact that you really want to have the wad tight against the powder in the hull, as this give the best ignition of the powder.

Scott

Oh man change the hull and your dead in the water. but I do love my 900

On my P/W I switch between different hulls and wads all the time I reload Estate, Federal Top Gun, Win AA, Rem STS, Fiocchi, and Cheddite (aka, Kent, Ballistic Products Multi-Hull and some others) I also use about 6 different wads including spreaders with posts in the center. They all load 100% with no adjustment of the press except for the wad height and that would go without saying, due to the fact that you really want to have the wad tight against the powder in the hull, as this give the best ignition of the powder.

Scott

Yeaa Welll ....but is it Blue? :P

For those interested in the SL 900, there is a display model for sale at a discount through the shop that was previously owned by Phil; Shooters Paradise in Virginia. I believe its in 12 gauge WITH the case feeder. That is ALL the info I have; if you are interested, don't reply here or to me, but rather call the manager directly: Jime Rowe: (703) 491-4867. Thanks, D.