Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clean Powder

Clay1

So I thought I did my research and settled on Vihta Vuori Oy N320 for a powder to match my Zero 147 grain JHP. I shot over 10,000 rounds of Blazer 115 grain ammo last year and had ZERO problems with it. It shot well and was exceptionally clean.

My specific load is 3.4 grains of N320 under a Zero 147 JHP with a Fed primer. I find this dirty. Not just a little dirtier than the Blazer but my cleaning frequency is about doubled. I specifically choose this powder over 231 and Titegroup because I was looking for a clean powder. I thought of N310, but liked the added safety of the N320 with the 147 vs the N310.

Is it my load or rather my expectations based on what I use to shoot?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick - I found my load of 4.2 grains of TG/125 grain Zero JHP to be cleaner than Blazer. Due to my military training, I rarely go more than a couple hundred rounds between cleanings, so the search for a perfectly clean powder hasn't interested me that much. Plus, my 9x19s (Beretta 92 Brigadier and CZ-75B) are stock, and have more generous clearances than raceguns.

You might want to back off 10% on the charge and substitute Fed 200 primers, and see where that leads.

Thanks for the response RevChuck. I loaded and chronied some at 3.3 and that gave me an average of 873 fps out of the G34 for a powerfactor of 128.331 with the stock G34 barrel. I went to 3.4 to get it closer to the 130 pf mark.

I was actually wondering if the load was so mild and that is what was causing more residue. I shoot 3 times a week, 150 - 200 rounds at a time, so I usually clean my gun two or three times a month. These days, I have to clean it once a week. I usually clean it one session before a match. I clean, then shoot a practice session then go to the match. I don't like to tear it all apart and shoot a match without shooting it some. It probably doesn't matter but I did have a problem once that was my fault. I put the slide stop spring in wrong and had problems. I wouldn't want to find that out at the match so this is my routine.

Interesting to hear about your Titegroup experience.

Rick

FWIW - it seems like some powders like to be burned in certain quantities at certain pressures in certain cartridges. N320 in my .40 loads is about as clean as it can get, while Titegroup was also clean, but seemed slightly grittier. Both were a lot cleaner than Blazer stuff, for me. In 9mm, w/ 147s, you may not be creating enough pressure to fully nuke the N320 - and a double base powder may well be the ticket.

I was actually wondering if the load was so mild and that is what was causing more residue.

I had the same problem when loading N320 in my light .45ACP loads. In my experience, N320 doesn't work so well with really light loads.

I was actually wondering if the load was so mild and that is what was causing more residue.

I had the same problem when loading N320 in my light .45ACP loads. In my experience, N320 doesn't work so well with really light loads.

N320 has the "I'm a bigger man than you" complex. The hotter the load, the better the burn.

Might have to try some N310 after all. I bought 4 pounds of N320 which should equal over 8000 rounds. Should be done with it before the end of May and I might spring for just a pound of the 310 to try.

I could bring the power factor up some more and see what I get. Again, the 140 pf of the Blazer round isn't missed. I have shot about 1500 rounds of the Zero 147s in the last few weeks and like them alot.

The stuff meters wonderfully through the Dillon powder measure so I am not as concerned about fluctuating weights of powder being thrown.

Rick

Rick, I too tried 320 with this bullet, and didnt like the residue compared to my VV310 load. You might try a different primer as well. Sounds hokey, but I know that in .45acp I got another 20fps with WLP versus FedLP. That might help the burn....DougC

FWIW - it seems like some powders like to be burned in certain quantities at certain pressures in certain cartridges. N320 in my .40 loads is about as clean as it can get, while Titegroup was also clean, but seemed slightly grittier.

Between Titegroup and N320 I found N320 to be cleaner at the same power factor for my .40 200 gr FMJ. I'm switching to 180 gr and will be interested to see the result. I don't see a lot of difference between the "feel" of the two loads and Titegroup is a lot cheaper, but I don't like the additional residue.

N320 has the "I'm a bigger man than you" complex. The hotter the load, the better the burn.

This has been my experience also with 320, heavier charges burn very clean, light charges leave significant residue. When I was shooting 9mm I used 310 with 115/125 heads and the 310 burned clean (like 320 in .40 maj) and accuracy was very good from the load.

I know that 310 is VERY fast and it is best to check the VV published load data as I have seen case rup[ture/seperations in 9mm/310 with unpublished (from Laupa) loads.

Edited by Crusher

Doug, it is funny that you mention primers. I just bought 2000 of the Fed SP to begin with to try them out. My Glock is running a reduced striker spring and while I have never had a failure to fire because of a light primer strike with the Blazer, I saw that at nationals in Production the Fed primer was the number one choice and tried it. I will be buying some more primers today and will give the Win primers a try with the N320.

Thanks for the help guys, it's really nice to have such a wonderful resource as my buds on the BE forums to push me back in the right direction if I get off course.

Rick

Crusher, N310 with a 147 grainer is not a published load and neither is N320 with a 147 grainer. Published loads start at N330 with the 147 grain pill.

Crusher, N310 with a 147 grainer is not a published load and neither is N320 with a 147 grainer. Published loads start at N330 with the 147 grain pill.

Yes I know, I never used 147 when I shot 9, 115/125 only with 310 (I found the lighter heads to be more accurate in my gun), now I do .40 with 180 gr heads and 320 that one isn't published either. In both cases I did/do load to a longer OAL than factory specs.

I haven't played much with 320, but I noticed that even fast 310 gets dirtier and the velocity variation gets wider with lighter loads. Loaded hot, it burns real clean and consistent. This is in .45, but I'd think the trend would hold true in other calibers.

i just started using titegroup in my 9mm's, and i have to say i am pretty impressed, my cronographed deviation was 9fps on ten rounds

using rainier 124 grain bullets

4.4 grains where hitting 1125 =139pf

4.3............................. 1100 =136pf

i have some 4.2 loaded, and will test them tomorrow, recoil on those where very nice and soft

Guys ,

Just my 2 cents worth.If you want a good powder for 9MM .Try N330 instead of N320, That is all I use for 9MM and I have had great experience with it,(using it for 6 years now).

I shoot 3.8 grs N330 andhave found it to be very clean and shoots very nicely ,And a very accurate load.

Jeff

BTW ,this load is use by a lot of shooters in GSSF ,It started out as a secret load ,but got out .Just ask about any hardcore GSSF shooter about it and I bet they use it.

Edited by ghost21