Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Away From The Range For A While

38superman

Yesterday I shot my first match in three months.

This was not by choice, I was a victim of circumstance.

I usually shoot two or three local matches per month plus live fire practice.

So after a layoff of several months I was really concerned that it would be like starting over.

However, I was surprised to discover that I basically picked up right where I left off.

My first couple of stages were a little shakey but overall I had a pretty good match.

I know that a lot of clubs shoot outdoors in climates that don't permit year round shooting.

I always thought that would be a great disadvantage but now I'm not so sure.

I wonder how long you can stay away from the range without some sort of decline.

And once done, how long would it take to "scrape off the rust" and get back on your game.

I know that some top competitors say taking breaks away from shooting is a healthy thing.

My question is: How long is too long?

Tls

Edited by tlshores

I can lay 'off' Sportsman's Team Challenge for up to 4 months with out much problem.

But I used to put in lots of time. So ware I fall back to is not too far. I will start to train three to four months before Nationals. with the other part of the year on shooting other games that kind of cross over.

Now I have to "Not Shoot Shogun to keep from getting bord with the target presentation.

I am by no means a "top shooter" but I'll toss in my 3 cents.

I find that a break forces me back to the core fundamentals. All too often we pick one or more "things to work on" and this can become distracting.

I have never actually planned on taking breaks but the past couple years it has worked out that way (thanks to colds, flu, work, etc). Never took more than 2 months away so can't say any further out than that.

One thing that I find reallllly helps me get back into the groove when I return is to spend some time doing Matt Burkett's "Timing Drills". This reaquaints me with the pistol and how it handles. I try and do this the day before or even the day of my return. I find 50 - 75 rounds does it.

For the longest time I used to live-fire at least every other day, but found myself becoming bored after half an hour or so. So I scaled back to live-fire once or twice a week and now feel like I'm actually doing better.

We might go 3 weeks to a month without a match and I find that it actually helps me to keep my batteries charged. I can go into a match cold after a 3 week lapse and feel as comfortable as when I last shot.

The key during a break is to keep familiar with the very basics. I dry-fire everyday, even if it's practicing a draw for 2 minutes.

However, I was surprised to discover that I basically picked up right where I left off.

My first couple of stages were a little shakey but overall I had a pretty good match.

Well, tl, since you and I went head-to-head in the Point Series and at several major matches last year . . . and you took a few and I took a few . . . and your "short" layoff does not seem to have had any negative effects . . . I think you need more rest.

:)

My bout of burnout lasted about 10 months and I came back and placed where I always place after one practice session. I would think you'd have to lay off shooting for a couple or 3 years to really "lose" anything.

Jd45,

I did not dry fire but I did have a couple of short live fire practice sessions.

Mostly I have been setting up a new gun, load developing, and hitting the gym pretty hard.

I've only been in this game for about two years and burn out is not an issue with me.

Just the opposite, I can't get enough.

David,

A new season is upon us.

Buckle your chin strap, cause I'm gonna be fired up and ready.

Shoot straight and best wishes.

Tls

David,

A new season is upon us.

Buckle your chin strap, cause I'm gonna be fired up and ready.

Shoot straight and best wishes.

Tls

Bring it on! (And I mean this in the most friendly-competition, you pushing me and me pushing you is the best thing we can do for each other, spirit)

I think shooting is just like every other sport. Before shooting and before tracking my car, I was a 1 handicap golfer. I've played about 10 times in the past 4 years and I probably averaged around 78 per round. (short game goes to crap without practice.)

I bet TGO could take a 5 year hiatus and with a couple weeks of practice, get fairly close to where he was before the break.

I have thought about this a lot lately and I think it breaks down into two categories.

One is the mental game.

The other is the physical game.

I think the mental game stays with you.

Once you learn technique it isn't something that just goes away.

I think what happens in your physical game simply depends on your conditioning when you return.

Once upon a time I taught marshall arts. I gave it up almost 20 years ago.

I still know the techniques, but I could not execute them very well.

This is because I'm no longer in the kind of physical condition that it requires.

In short, I still know karate but probably couldn't do karate.

Some of what we do is what trainers call "muscle memory" that comes from repetition.

I suspect that after a long layoff it returns rather quickly with a little work on drills.

I'm starting to believe that even an extended layoff wouldn't affect you much.

In fact I think you might even come back stronger, depending on whether your conditioning had declined or improved.

I hope to avoid long layoffs in the future but if they happen, I don't think I'm going to worry too much about it.

Tls