Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2024 IPSC Rifle World Shoot

We had a couple local guys do pretty well!

Kyle Litzie won the Semi Auto Open Division and the USA team got gold! Kyle has been a top performer in 3 gun and just keeps getting better! And, he is a real nice guy!

image.png.7e163403699f0676594c5596d5489d3a.png

The other dude is William Paolino who was on the Gold-winning Super Senior Team! William is a long-long-long time Norco Running Gun shooter and 3 Gun competitor. (But, he is nowhere near as nice as Kyle 😉 )

image.png.991f921121dc27e370c95ad3958eaaa9.png

Well Done, Gents! :cheers:

4 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

... Living for the past 12 days without even being able to find a chili pepper has taken a toll on my soul. 

Strange.... Chili isn't exactly traditional in the country, not to speak about the Oulu region - but I'd have thought that at least bigger supermarkets like Prisma or Citymarket would have "fresh" (imported) chili in their vegetable sections.

On 8/10/2024 at 4:22 PM, shred said:

I heard @Darqusoull13 was there too.  Match Report! 

Alright so, finally back in Texas and I've had 2 burritos and about 20 tacos. I have enough hot sauce and queso flowing through my veins that I'm a functional human again. 

First and foremost, the match staff really deserve a massive amount of credit for making this such a well run, fun event. This gets brought up often but the RO's and staff make the match. If they are fun, friendly and polite folks will have a good time. These were the best of the best and it was very much appreciated. 

The facility was absolutely unreal. Some of the bays were 600 m long and 100 m wide with 30 m tall berms. Unbelievable and they had enough bays that they could have hosted 2 matches at the same time. The road ways between areas were all PAVED and the bays were proper rock / gravel with drainage. It rained the entire week before and traction was excellent as if it hadn't rained at all. Check in, vendor areas and match admin were all centrally located. There was plenty of PAVED parking. 

The match ran ahead of schedule. The Finns are apparently known for their schedules and, as a MD myself, I could tell they included time for weather delays or unforeseen conditions. As it happened, we had sunny weather, highs in the 70's and smooth sailing. 

The event aspects, opening and closing ceremonies, flags on display throughout the match etc. were all extremely well planned, well done and fun. 

The stages were quite good although some of the short courses could have used a bit more technical detail. I will say the long range was very well done. They used electronic scoring targets which DRASTICALLY reduced time to reset for RO's. Those targets were amazing as you could see your hits in order as well as any misses. Falling steel was well integrated and the long range in general had some technical details that if you knew how to shoot, you could rack up a LOT of points. That's pretty important in a rifle match in my opinion.

I'd say 80% of the stages really uniquely tested several rifle skills at a world level. There were only 2 carnival stages, a running "moose" and a floating boat. Otherwise I very much enjoyed the stages and the focus on accuracy IPSC is known for. 

Am I glad I went? Heck yes. It was an amazing opportunity to represent the USA on a world stage. I made a ton of new friends and got to hike some very interesting country. Most importantly, I realized the shooting community is the same everywhere. It's a bunch of awesome, trustworthy people that enjoy having fun shooting guns. 

If you want to listen to an extended commentary on it, Aaron Hayes and I had a chat on TSM last night. 

Video Link

14 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

... They used electronic scoring targets which DRASTICALLY reduced time to reset for RO's. Those targets were amazing as you could see your hits in order as well as any misses. ...

I'm told that the electronic targets recorded, on one occasion, two consecutive hits "in the same hole" at 353 meters (or thereabouts). Lucky for the competitor. I doubt a RO or RM would have believed it if scoring a conventional paper target.