Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Stock Master Xtreme in CO?

I see on the USPSA Approved Production Guns list that Xtreme models were approved in April 2024, however the Stock Master Xtreme seems to be missing even though the regular Stock Master is listed and several Xtreme models are explicitly listed. Does anyone know if this is an oversight, or is there some legitimate reason why the Stock Master Xtreme is not on the list?

Agree with Yagi, you should be good to go.  Local Tanfo sponsored GM shoots the same setup and goes to all the big matches without issues.  Also what I'm working on transitioning to from a Shadow 2, just working out the kinks with magazines and such now.

2 hours ago, fbzero said:

Agree with Yagi, you should be good to go.  Local Tanfo sponsored GM shoots the same setup and goes to all the big matches without issues.  Also what I'm working on transitioning to from a Shadow 2, just working out the kinks with magazines and such now.

That's good to hear, thanks! I'm in the same boat, currently running an S2 but looking to make the switch. I have a Stock 2 OR but not a fan of the optic mounting system. I'm planning to run an optic on a dovetail mount on the SM X initially, and then assuming I stick with the Tanfo I'll probably end up sending it off to Patriot Defense for milling.

On 7/12/2024 at 12:13 PM, cpekz said:

That's good to hear, thanks! I'm in the same boat, currently running an S2 but looking to make the switch. I have a Stock 2 OR but not a fan of the optic mounting system. I'm planning to run an optic on a dovetail mount on the SM X initially, and then assuming I stick with the Tanfo I'll probably end up sending it off to Patriot Defense for milling.

Patriot Defense is who did my milling and that of the local shooter I referenced; They are great to do business with.  I actually ordered my Stock Master Xtreme from them and just had them ream the barrel and mill the slide for the optic before they even shipped it.  The larger frame fits my hand better than the S2, but more importantly, it points more like a 2011 to me.

My main problem has been an issue with the large frame magazines turning into salt shakers on me.  Seems once the follower goes under the vent ribs on the magazines, two rounds can get stuck side by side in those tubes.  I got the Patriot Defense K9 baseplates and replaced the Hennings I tried first and seem to be having better luck.  One thing that seemed to help is taking the Grams followers and bend them so they point up more than how they come, and then back and to the left.  Getting 22+1 now and haven't had one go salt shaker on me yet.

2 hours ago, fbzero said:

Patriot Defense is who did my milling and that of the local shooter I referenced; They are great to do business with.  I actually ordered my Stock Master Xtreme from them and just had them ream the barrel and mill the slide for the optic before they even shipped it.  The larger frame fits my hand better than the S2, but more importantly, it points more like a 2011 to me.

My main problem has been an issue with the large frame magazines turning into salt shakers on me.  Seems once the follower goes under the vent ribs on the magazines, two rounds can get stuck side by side in those tubes.  I got the Patriot Defense K9 baseplates and replaced the Hennings I tried first and seem to be having better luck.  One thing that seemed to help is taking the Grams followers and bend them so they point up more than how they come, and then back and to the left.  Getting 22+1 now and haven't had one go salt shaker on me yet.

I get 24 in my tanfo mags.

Been having weird similar issues to you with my CZ p10c though. Ended up using the grams 13 coil springs. Those mags only ever got 23 rounds and still do with the 13 coil spring, and feeding is way stronger.

7 hours ago, fbzero said:

That is the fix and if you switch to rune followers there are less issues.  The profile of the Grams contributes to the flipping sideways.  

This has been discussed in several threads.  

BTW I purchased PD K9 base pads but I prefer the Henning spring loaded stop over the screws to keep them on the mags.  Both work fine.  

My ultimate fix was just buying MBX mags. All but one ran 100% out of the box. I had 6 of them. Little bit of tuning on the one mag and it ran 100%. 

On the ones with the JB Weld every so often the JB Weld would come off and cause a cluster of a mess. 

Thanks for the info everyone.

On 7/13/2024 at 2:48 PM, waktasz said:

I get 24 in my tanfo mags.

Been having weird similar issues to you with my CZ p10c though. Ended up using the grams 13 coil springs. Those mags only ever got 23 rounds and still do with the 13 coil spring, and feeding is way stronger.

What setup are you running for 24 in a large frame Tanfo out of curiosity?  Reliable?

One thing that Henning told me in the past and i still do to all my mags is make the grams follower lean to the right. 

On 7/16/2024 at 1:48 PM, SuperKing said:

Does anyone have a pic of the rib fix for the mags? I am having a hard time understanding this even with the links.

Follow the line of the rib downwards.  The problem is where the ribs end the tube gets wide enough that two rounds will sit side by side.  You can paper over it with spring & follower tweaks, but sooner or later it happens again because geometry.  If you take away the offending geometry, problem goes away.

I start with both sides on just the back rib.  You may not even need to do that much-- it could be enough just to disrupt the abrupt transition.

img1-1.jpg