Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Traveling thru ban states or flying

I am going to go to some bigger matches in 2025.

These would be 3 gun matches

So please advise.

I live in a free state, and some of the matches might require me to drive thru a ban state.

Have any of you guys ever had problems like this?

I have heard that FOPA would not protect you from a state law in a ban state.

In terms of flying with a AR, shotgun, Glock, and all the gear and ammo, is that even possible?

Depends a bit on which "ban" state.  Some are bigger PITAs than others.  Check out some of the JFK experiences to see how that goes.

55 minutes ago, shred said:

Depends a bit on which "ban" state.  Some are bigger PITAs than others.  Check out some of the JFK experiences to see how that goes.

That's why I always flew into Philly amd then drove to NJ or NY

A group of us just went through that driving from NC to DE having to go into MD. We made sure all guns were in locked cases in the bed of the truck. All ammo and mags were separate, some even put that in locked cases. As long as everything is locked and separated and not in the passenger compartment you should be good to go.

Maryland is not a problem. 

If driving you're fine basically everywhere except NYC if you keep stuff locked and out of the passenger cabin. FOPA only protects you if you are on a direct route. No stopping for anything except gas. Not even lunch at a diner. 

I typically avoid ban states on my route. I'd rather detour a bit and pay for things like fuel, lunch and goods in free states. General rule of thumb, if they don't want you there because of your freedom, don't go there and make everyone's life easier 🙂

Flying is fine if you avoid the problem airports like NY. I typically drove for 3 gun due to the massive amount of gear 3 gun required. Some TSA folks don't really know what the rules are but if you arrive extra early it's usually not a problem. Just be polite and they usually just want to get on with their day. 

The only "issue" I have ever has was Minneapolis.  They always opened my locked cases (with me standing there), but it was because they want to see and touch and talk guns.

The last time I flew out of Tampa they wanted me to pick up my gun and show them it was empty. I told them no. With these type of people it helps if you open the case and the slide is locked back, or better yet, removed from the gun. You shouldn't have to do this but the understanding of TSA rules combined with airline policies varies greatly between gate agents.