Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beyond Fundamentals Book Question

chickenfried

Hey guys,

Have Brian Enos' book on it's way, also some Matt Burkett videos and With Winning in Mind. Just wanted help to put my mind at ease.

The Enos book is around fifteen years old. Are the info/techniques written about still applicable? It seems like the sport would have changed a lot in that time span.

The info in BE's book is absolutely still relevant, I picked it up last year and IMO it's a must read for anyone who wants to improve. I took a lot from it and in fact its back on my night stand again for another read through as I count down the weeks until matches start up again in my neck of the woods. :)

As J2fast said the book is so good that it is not a one time read. It's not a huge book in volume of pages, but it is a heavy book in knowledge. It is not a quick read. I found myself reading a couple of sentences and then I had to stop and think about it for a while.

By far my favorite shooting book.

Rick

Got my copy something like eight or nine years ago. I reread it cover to cover every couple of years (I need a new copy-mine is literally falling apart, now), and learn something new each time. I'm not the first to have read a paragraph, think that I get it, then reread it some time later and get even more or different from exactly the same page. With the ideas that Brian presents, this can happen over and over again, that, as you progress, what your understanding of what he writes deepens and changes.

The hardware stuff is out of date, but the book is not about the hardware you use to shoot, it's about the shooting itself.

Chickenfried,

On this forum, you are dealing with True Believers.

The spooky thing is that this stuff really works. It may be hard to understand how Zen can relate to shooting at Warp Speed, but it does, and Brian's book may never go out of date.

Billski

I also believe it's timeless.

I have to disagree a bit that the equipment stuff is out of date. That great view of Brian's SS magwell was a model for me when getting my L-10 Kimber up to speed :)

Speaking as a newbie to the competition scene, it's been a real asset to me over and over... as I read it over and over. One thing that Brian mentions several times in the book is the that the goal of a shooter is to try his advice, somebody else's advice, etc., and mold them all together into your own shooting style based on what works for YOU. By that token, it could be a hundred years old and still be appropriate.

Have had BE book for seven years and have re-read it 5 times and ALWAYS find something "new" in it evertime i read it and highlight it. Different things pertain as your skill level goes up. As a newbie I skipped the " Be the Bullet chapters" but where GREAT later

Edited by scorch

Have had BE book for seven years and have re-read it 5 times and ALWAYS find something "new" in it evertime i read it and highlight it. Different things pertain as your skill level goes up. As a newbie I skipped the " Be the Bullet chapters" but where GREAT later

+10 to that, and the rest of the comments...

I bought the book when I first started, along with my press about a year ago, immediately read it a couple times, and...wasn't disappointed, exactly: there was more a sense of disconnect, and much of the discussion on awareness and seeing didn't particularly resonate.

I picked it up again recently, and had the "ah-HA!" experience after reading several sections, and I don't doubt that wil continue.

I was glad to have the book as a beginner, but I'm not sure it's a beginner's book -- I think it takes a while to get to a certain level of experience and skill before the book becomes engaging *as instruction.*

I picked it up again recently, and had the "ah-HA!" experience after reading several sections, and I don't doubt that wil continue.

I was glad to have the book as a beginner, but I'm not sure it's a beginner's book -- I think it takes a while to get to a certain level of experience and skill before the book becomes engaging *as instruction.*

+1

I think that the book is excellent for the shooter who has developed his (or her!) skills enough that he has a real self-awareness of technique when he steps up to the firing line. At the time of my purchase, I was at this stage... but I had no idea what to do with this awareness.

Prior to reading the book, I would have never fathomed the concept of "seeing the sights rise" as even possible, but now it's fundamental to my shooting. The same thing goes with the (Zen-like?) concept of being intensely aware of my body and sight picture while simultaneously being "un-intensely" relaxed and just kinda flowin' with the gun. My shooting has improved immensely, and I think I've even taken a few of the concepts (relaxation and awareness) out to "real life."

Having said all of that, when I took my wife out to the range a few weeks ago and tried to explain "seeing the sights" to her... it wasn't even close to the realm of her understanding. She just isn't ready right now, but I think that if she keeps coming to the range with me, she'll be there eventually.

J