Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor loads for a flat STI DVC Steel

Djhoran

I don't need anything more than about a 130 PF to knock down steel plates. I'd like to get this gun to shoot as flat as possible and get away from the bouncy way it currently shoots with 135 PF loads. Current is 5.2 WAC with 115 or 5.3 WAC with 124s. I've gone up to 5.6WAC with 115 HAPs with no real love. Everything shoots plenty small groups. All with a #7 spring. I cast and coat all my own tips and I have lots of different molds dropping 115, 124, 130, 147, and 160 grain round nose bullets. I'd rather not get into molar rattling concussive blasts and the need to double plug for what this gun is used for.

Has anyone been able to get this model (STI DVC Steel) to stay pretty flat? What loads worked best? I have a wide assortment of powders to choose from.

Edited by Djhoran
added word

There's a reason for those tooth-rattling loads-- they need that much gas to work.  Lightest bullets and most powder is the recipe for 'flat'.

I have been using 100 Grain Berrys with 4.2 grains of Sport Pistol in my Open Gun at 118PF.Loading some now to try at 4.0 and 3.8 Grains.

OP, if you want flat(ish) at 130 PF without the teeth rattling, add two 3/16" poppels.    I use 124s over 4.5gr AA2 for 132 PF.  Soft, flat and quiet.  A tad more WAC will do the same thing.  If you want flat(ish) with only the comp, you'll have to be at 155+ PF with WAC or slower.  It will be loud.

at 130 pf you are kinda at a point of diminishing returns.. Probably simply better off just using a fast powder and a 124 -147 gr bullet..
That and hold on to the gun..

Ive used 147s with 4.0 Power Pistol and its smooth.   I also use 124s over 4.0 of WAC     5.2 seems kinda high.  I only need 7.4 to make 175PF with the same 124s