Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 barrel fitting

I have a famous brand custom 2011 that needs a new barrel fitted. I asked the origional builder but they only build new guns and do not do any gun smithing, even on customers guns. I emailed several other builders and they don’t respond. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good gunsmith in the Phoenix, AZ area?

I tried a  gunsmith in the area to replace a thumb safety on the same pistol and that guy screwed it up and had to file it myself to get it to engage fully without 30 pounds of pressure. Im at a loss why I cant seem to find anyone with talent to do the job.

Edited by Zoomy

12 hours ago, Zoomy said:

I have a famous brand custom 2011 that needs a new barrel fitted. I asked the origional builder but they only build new guns and do not do any gun smithing, even on customers guns. I emailed several other builders and they don’t respond. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good gunsmith in the Phoenix, AZ area?

I tried a  gunsmith in the area to replace a thumb safety on the same pistol and that guy screwed it up and had to file it myself to get it to engage fully without 30 pounds of pressure. Im at a loss why I cant seem to find anyone with talent to do the job.

It's pretty lame they wont even work on their own guns. Probably a place I'd avoid. 

honestly I would learn to do it your self.. I have never used a guns smith that didnt butcher my guns.. Included ones reccommended on this page. absolutely destroyed my Hipower slides doing something as simple as installing sights. 
either I do it or it doesnt get done... 
Fitting a barrel isnt all that hard.

I was thinking about it. Just went to YouTube and found that all the videos that give fitting demonstrations have been censored. Only audio no video. I will need to check websites directly.

2 hours ago, Zoomy said:

I was thinking about it. Just went to YouTube and found that all the videos that give fitting demonstrations have been censored. Only audio no video. I will need to check websites directly.

kuhnhausen shop manual

Zoomy, most good gunsmiths are swamped.  They are not accepting new work until they can clear a good portion of their backlog.   Here is a tip.  If you find a good local gunsmith and he tells you 8 months, ask this.    I can't leave the gun for 8 months.  If you have another barrel job and the fixture is set up in the mill, call me.  I'll be right over and you can do mine before you tear down the setup.  Quite possibly you jump the line.  Most smiths will do all the 1911 barrel work at the same time.  They won't finish any other work a customer ordered on the gun, but they will do the barrels while the jig is set up on the mill.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, zzt said:

Zoomy, most good gunsmiths are swamped.  They are not accepting new work until they can clear a good portion of their backlog.   Here is a tip.  If you find a good local gunsmith and he tells you 8 months, ask this.    I can't leave the gun for 8 months.  If you have another barrel job and the fixture is set up in the mill, call me.  I'll be right over and you can do mine before you tear down the setup.  Quite possibly you jump the line.  Most smiths will do all the 1911 barrel work at the same time.  They won't finish any other work a customer ordered on the gun, but they will do the barrels while the jig is set up on the mill.

Thats a good idea. I know how that might work. I spent 33 years in the machining business. Started in tool and die then to setting up CNC machines and programming them. Saving setup time really adds up. If I had my own machines or access  I would have done the job myself. I still could but but Im opposed to using a file to do the job.

Edited by Zoomy

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 10:07 PM, Zoomy said:

Thats a good idea. I know how that might work. I spent 33 years in the machining business. Started in tool and die then to setting up CNC machines and programming them. Saving setup time really adds up. If I had my own machines or access  I would have done the job myself. I still could but but Im opposed to using a file to do the job.

2011 barrels are really pretty easy to do. I've only been in the machining ind. for about 12 years doing mostly CNC grinding and I've built 4 2011's and fitted 11 or 12 barrels using a barrel lug file and the brownells lower lug kit. I don't really see how not using a file would be totally possible as I've found the the only way for me to fit the upper lugs.