Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV 2011 question

BasM

As I'm looking for and open gun but do not have prior experience with open guns I have the following question.

When in good condition is an older strayer Voight 2011  like the one below worthwhile considering?strayer-voigt-2011.jpg

5 hours ago, BasM said:

As I'm looking for and open gun but do not have prior experience with open guns I have the following question.

When in good condition is an older strayer Voight 2011  like the one below worthwhile considering?strayer-voigt-2011.jpg

Things I'd look for are:

- Approximate round count, incl. minor or major loads

- Prior usage (USPSA, Steel Challenge, etc.)

- Overall condition, how does it look (carbon settings, breach face, comp, etc.)

- Does everything work flawlessly (safety, mag release)

- Fit of slide to frame (not too much movement)

- Status of the frame and slide to look for any cracks

- Fit of comp on barrel (alligned, straight, no movement)

- Status of barrel rifling

14 minutes ago, StefVanHauwe said:

Things I'd look for are:

- Approximate round count, incl. minor or major loads

- Prior usage (USPSA, Steel Challenge, etc.)

- Overall condition, how does it look (carbon settings, breach face, comp, etc.)

- Does everything work flawlessly (safety, mag release)

- Fit of slide to frame (not too much movement)

- Status of the frame and slide to look for any cracks

- Fit of comp on barrel (alligned, straight, no movement)

- Status of barrel rifling

Thanks, will do

A high-end shooter is like any other tool. It gets heavily used, it needs maintenance and parts will eventually have to be replaced. 

With a 2011, if your frame is solid and your slide fit is good, you have a "good gun." The grip will outlast other parts and you have to replace spring and eventually the barrel (needs fitting). Action usually last a very long time, but it's also something that can be easily replaced if there is a need. 

If it’s under $2,500 it would still be a maybe for me. Would need to find out as much info about it as possible. Also, the super old guns have older comp tech, etc. 

Will do. But there is a lot of options. Love the 1911/2011 platform for the stability and great triggers. However there are also some nice fair priced tanfo's out there. I know of a Gold Custom Eric 2007 for sale, some seem to like them and some don't.

Any opinions on that out here?

I think the biggest driver in your search is your budget. Any idea what that is? That’s going to narrow down things quite a bit. I would stay with a tried and true 2011 platform but that’s me.

I want to see if an open gun is the the thing for me. (I'm afraid it might be, love speed,  tinkering and nice stuff🤪)For that reason I want to keep the initial purchase between 2 and 3K€ for the gun and not go all out on it at once. 

On 3/24/2024 at 9:17 AM, BasM said:

I want to see if an open gun is the the thing for me. (I'm afraid it might be, love speed,  tinkering and nice stuff🤪)For that reason I want to keep the initial purchase between 2 and 3K€ for the gun and not go all out on it at once. 

You can get "something" at that price but it may be wore out or very old tech. Keep looking. Hoping something pops up.

Well, I ended up buying a new SPS Vista Long in .38. Got a sweet deal on it and could not justify buying used for that amount.

It came in .38 so I will deal with that as it is. As I will maybe shoot 4 or 5 matches a year outside the club it is okay brass wise.

Most what I read is that these guns run pretty okay and parts are easy to get here in Europe.

Any advice on a starting load in 3N38 or 3N37 for .38 with coal and crimp dia?

Greetz Bas

9.3 grain 3N38,  124 Also Pro RN, 32.5mm OAL get me to 165'ish wth an older STI. (Just comped, not ported)

I mainly use Lovex D37.1 which needs 10.8 grains with the same components as above for 162 PF.

For matches 162PF is a bit too close for comfort but I don't shoot them in open.

Geco brass can be had for 25 cents a piece from Luxembourg, that includes shipping.

I don't know how Geco brass hold up since I have only reloaded it 2 or 3 times so far.

Ordinary SP primers btw.

Edited by xrayfk05

1 hour ago, BasM said:

Well, I ended up buying a new SPS Vista Long in .38. Got a sweet deal on it and could not justify buying used for that amount.

It came in .38 so I will deal with that as it is. As I will maybe shoot 4 or 5 matches a year outside the club it is okay brass wise.

Most what I read is that these guns run pretty okay and parts are easy to get here in Europe.

Any advice on a starting load in 3N38 or 3N37 for .38 with coal and crimp dia?

Greetz Bas

I have experience with those. Well it was a .40 limited gun and a shorty 9mm Major Vista. They are ok after you change all of the MIM parts out and do a trigger job.  The mags are solid. Pretty sure they are proprietary but you should be able to get some over there and MBX sells some for them too. Grips are awful but they sell a metal grip for them now and it’s nice. All in all a good move on your part. Congrats 

4 hours ago, xrayfk05 said:

9.3 grain 3N38,  124 Also Pro RN, 32.5mm OAL get me to 165'ish wth an older STI. (Just comped, not ported)

I mainly use Lovex D37.1 which needs 10.8 grains with the same components as above for 162 PF.

For matches 162PF is a bit too close for comfort but I don't shoot them in open.

Geco brass can be had for 25 cents a piece from Luxembourg, that includes shipping.

I don't know how Geco brass hold up since I have only reloaded it 2 or 3 times so far.

Ordinary SP primers btw.

Klinkt goed, bedankt