Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LNL Case activated powder measure - Compatible with XL650

Hi everyone,

I'm loading 9mm only on an XL650 and am trying to replace the Dillon powder measure with the LNL case activated one.  I don't see any way to install it at station two because the primer tube alarm module and the LNL powder hopper keeping crashing into each other.  

Can anyone help?  I suppose I can move the LNL over to station three but then I lose powder check capability.  If someone has successfully set one up, I'd be grateful for some photos.

Thanks in advance everyone. 

Edited by fpf
Typo

Hi Sarge and thanks for the reply - yep looks like I’ll have to move the powder measure to station 3 resulting in an empty hole at station two. I don’t mind ditching  the primer alarm but even if I do that  (and leave the powder measure at station 2), the damn thing still hits the primer tube even with the alarm removed. 

22 hours ago, fpf said:

Hi everyone,

I'm loading 9mm only on an XL650 and am trying to replace the Dillon powder measure with the LNL case activated one.  I don't see any way to install it at station two because the primer tube alarm module and the LNL powder hopper keeping crashing into each other.  

Can anyone help?  I suppose I can move the LNL over to station three but then I lose powder check capability.  If someone has successfully set one up, I'd be grateful for some photos.

Thanks in advance everyone. 

Is it the arm of the powder drum that is hitting when fully installed or are you not able to screw the entire measure in/install tool head with it in place? Are you able to reclock the powder measure by loosening the lock ring and positioning it so it faces another direction?

I've only used this powder measure setup on my Hornady press with the 1/8th bushings so please forgive me if this is not the case of the Dillon. I have to orient it so the space is clear for the drum arm to make a full rotation.

Thanks for the response. I can install it but when I pull down on the press handle, the Dillon primer tube assembly (even after removing the primer alarm) rubs against the body of the powder hopper. Rotating the powder hopper does not provide any additional clearance.  

• 2 weeks later...

RESOLUTION:

According to tech support at Hornady - " . . . . no idea whether it will or will not fit the Dillon XL650 at station #2" 

In that case, I can tell you from experience, it will not either with or without the primer alarm.  Only way to use it is to mount it at station #3 and of course get rid of whatever you had there including a powder check system.

Live and Learn.

10 minutes ago, fpf said:

RESOLUTION:

According to tech support at Hornady - " . . . . no idea whether it will or will not fit the Dillon XL650 at station #2" 

In that case, I can tell you from experience, it will not either with or without the primer alarm.  Only way to use it is to mount it at station #3 and of course get rid of whatever you had there including a powder check system.

Live and Learn.

Yeah can't expect Hornady to answer that question.

Have you considered selling the Hornady and just buying a Dillon setup? Scheels and DAA both have the Dillon setup for about $130. 

The Hornady setup is more expensive with only MidSouth selling the complete unit for $180.

I surely thought this would not have been an issue of first impression for Hornady's tech support.  I just cant believe I'm the first reloader who thought to mount a Hornady powder measure on a Dillon press.  The Dillon powder measure is what I was trying to replace.

Good question. I was not getting good metering with VVN320 and overall, the whole fail safe return rod thing is a gigantic pain m my a$$. Clunky and too many moving parts for such a simple operation. The Hornady system offers either micrometer inserts for fast weight changes or you can purchase inserts which, once set, are easy to remove and replace depending on what powder/weight combos needs I have. 

I love Blue and have been using their stuff for more than 40 years. But the powder system is in serious need of an upgrade. 

Interesting. Thankfully my experience with the Dillon powder measure has been fantastic. When it comes to pistol loads I find it more than adequate and exceptionally consistent.

I'm team whatever works, I not a brand loyalist. Clearly you aren't happy with Dillon's powder measure. Might a LNL AP be in your future?

3 hours ago, fpf said:

I surely thought this would not have been an issue of first impression for Hornady's tech support.  I just cant believe I'm the first reloader who thought to mount a Hornady powder measure on a Dillon press.  The Dillon powder measure is what I was trying to replace.

2 hours ago, fpf said:

Good question. I was not getting good metering with VVN320 and overall, the whole fail safe return rod thing is a gigantic pain m my a$$. Clunky and too many moving parts for such a simple operation. The Hornady system offers either micrometer inserts for fast weight changes or you can purchase inserts which, once set, are easy to remove and replace depending on what powder/weight combos needs I have. 

I love Blue and have been using their stuff for more than 40 years. But the powder system is in serious need of an upgrade. 

Understood. Sorry to hear the Dillon powder measure was unsatisfactory for you. I shouldn't have assumed that you hadn't used the Dillon on that press and were just throwing parts together. 

I also think the failsafe rod is a pain in the behind, but that is easily replaced with the old setup.

Bind the 2 moving "lips" together with a zip tie, the 2 springs needed are still available for a few bucks.

Maybe that will at least solve part of you problem? :)

I am using both the LnL AP and the 650 and I can't say I have ever noticed any difference with regards to the powder measure.

I do admit being able to just change the metering insert on the Hornady is just genius.

To back up a bit:

The powder cop is what I go without. I use station 2 on my LNL to pre-bell the case mouth and adjusted the LNL powder measure to skip that. I think it makes the powder measure smoother that way.

I can lean forward and see the powder in the case before I set the bullet. I check about every 5th to 10th round because the measure always works and I can hear/see the actuator flip every stroke of the handle.

That’s a great idea - bell operation separate from the powder drop. Love it. 

Can you recommend the hardware/setup?  Can I just use the Dillon powder measure collar with the powder funnel installed?

I used a Lee die. It was a powder through die. I run just the die and adjusted to bell the case what I needed.

I run the same setup for my 9mm (.355 bullets) autos and for my 9mm (.3575 bullets) revolver so my flare might be a bit different than yours. 

Couple minute setup. Worth the try.

Lee also makes a universal expanding die. I picked it up because I found my 300 blackout cases shaving plated bullets even when chamfered properly. It has worked well for me.

I agree the Hornady powder measure runs much smoother if not expanding cases at the same time.

Hornady pistol dies, unlike Dillon, usually come with an expander die. This is because the Hornady powder drop system does not expand unless you acquire the additional PTX inserts (powder through expansion). My Hornady 9mm bullet feeder die came with the appropriate PTX insert, and they are also sold separately. This is due to losing station 3 for the bullet feeder die. That way, combining expansion and powder on the LNL in station 2, one could still powder check on station 4 and then seat & crimp in station 5 with Hornady's combo die. It seems that most prefer not to seat and crimp in the same die, but I have found once setup it's good to go. If separate seating and crimping dies are required, one could always ditch the powder check die in this scenario.

I do seat and crimp in 1. I left the last station empty. For me it seems easier to place the bullet in station 4. Just seems handier.

Funny thing is to me that I bought the LNL to have access to a powder cop and now I don't need/use one.

My pleasure fpf!

12 minutes ago, Dr. Phil said:

I do seat and crimp in 1. I left the last station empty. For me it seems easier to place the bullet in station 4. Just seems handier.

Funny thing is to me that I bought the LNL to have access to a powder cop and now I don't need/use one.

When I first bought my LNL, I also got the powder cop die. I thought it was silly and sold it because it's still required visual inspection, and I thought just looking at the powder in the case had the same result. I ended up replacing it with the RCBS lockout die. When setup properly it physically won't let you advance the press on a empty case. I recommend it to all new pistol reloaders. Only downside is potential powder spillage from the probe, especially when dumping powder for major loads.

Edited by Haywizzle
Added link

Well I hear you on that as well. I’m using Ramshot True Blue powder for my major 9 loads. That propellant is close to talcum powder in terms of texture and consistency so powder spillage is always a challenge. 

Edited by fpf

• 2 weeks later...

have you entertained the idea of using the old style Powder Measure Return Springs I think the part #14036?

Some people disconnect the failsafe rod.

Personally I have no issues getting consistent drops with N310 N320 N340 in my Dillon Powder Measure.

Yes - I have and it’s a good old fashioned idea which still works.

In the final analysis, what sold me on the LNL is the ease and speed of changing the pre set pistol inserts to match the load I’m using. It takes 3-5 seconds and Is dead on right from the start.  Ingenious. Thanks for pointing that out.