Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee carbide taper crimp die

Hello,

I think I want to try a Lee carbide taper crimp die in 9mm.

It seems to be a popular die.

Right now I am running a Redding taper crimp die.

I am just wondering how long the Lee die can last.

Always had issues with their items.....

Thanks

21 hours ago, JoeInTucson said:

Hello,

I think I want to try a Lee carbide taper crimp die in 9mm.

It seems to be a popular die.

Right now I am running a Redding taper crimp die.

I am just wondering how long the Lee die can last.

Always had issues with their items.....

Thanks

Are you talking about the Factory Crimp Die, that has the carbide sizing ring? I use it in all my pistol calibers. Some say it hides other issues that are preventing your ammo from gauging. All I know is when I use it, all my ammo gauges, and I don't have ammo issues. Carbide is harder than steel, so it should last longer than a non-carbide die. Plus, it's not doing a lot of resizing of the case as the regular resizing die is. As to quality, Lee dies are really well regarded. Their other stuff, not so much.

Can’t beat Lee dies for pistol cases.  The FCD die set eliminates the need for case gauging.  I’m not sure how many rounds I’ve run through FCD dies, but it’s somewhat less than 300k.

On 2/5/2024 at 9:15 AM, Dr Mitch said:

The FCD die set eliminates the need for case gauging. 

No.

The FCD does not size the complete case.

It stops short of extractor groove.

It is very possible to have a case with a bulge at the base that will not gauge even after running it through the FCD.

If the FCD did such a complete job of sizing there would be no need for Roll Sizers or Case Pros.

3 hours ago, Zachjet said:

I just started using one

It definitely doesn’t prevent all case bulging. This is three out of maybe 1500 or so 

IMG_4808.jpeg

IMG_4809.jpeg

What type of gun and how hot was the load? 

I had a Dan Wesson PM9 that had the tightest chamber I'd ever seen. The only way to get all ammo to gauge was to run cases through the Lee 9mm Makarov sizing die, which would size the area just above the groove. If I'd kept the gun, I'd have the chamber opened up a bit. The cases were pushed all the way thru the die. Lee has a Bulge Buster kit.

Pics above, were those cases all the same headstamp? Some crappier brass would bulge on first firing, only suitable for the trash. Those are case ruptures waiting to happen.

Edited by OPENB

36 minutes ago, OPENB said:

I had a Dan Wesson PM9 that had the tightest chamber I'd ever seen. The only way to get all ammo to gauge was to run cases through the Lee 9mm Makarov sizing die, which would size the area just above the groove. If I'd kept the gun, I'd have the chamber opened up a bit. The cases were pushed all the way thru the die. Lee has a Bulge Buster kit.

Pics above, were those cases all the same headstamp? Some crappier brass would bulge on first firing, only suitable for the trash. Those are case ruptures waiting to happen.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t even check. I tossed them.

As of now, with my current set up, the only brass I have an issue with is the 1k2x brass. I picked them and toss them because the primer pockets are just so tight 

Edited by Zachjet

On 2/6/2024 at 4:06 PM, ddc said:

No.

The FCD does not size the complete case.

It stops short of extractor groove.

That is only true of 9mm.  It sizes down about 3/8".  On 40sw and 45 it sizes the entire case, because they are straight walled.   When using the FCD you do not have to roll size 40sw and 45 cases.  You DO for 9mm.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

That is only true of 9mm.  It sizes down about 3/8".  On 40sw and 45 it sizes the entire case, because they are straight walled.   When using the FCD you do not have to roll size 40sw and 45 cases.  You DO for 9mm.

Even with .40 and .45 die can only go down to shell plate.

Edited by dtuns

2 hours ago, zzt said:

Ya got me there! I live in an exclusively 9mm world. I often forget there are other ways to live. 

On 2/6/2024 at 1:19 PM, Zachjet said:

I just started using one

It definitely doesn’t prevent all case bulging. This is three out of maybe 1500 or so 

IMG_4808.jpeg

IMG_4809.jpeg

Back in the day we used to call that "Glocked brass". I don't know about the later generations, but the earlier Glocks had an oversize chamber and would swell the base of anything shot through them. It was a problem with both 9mm and 40 S&W. I'm guessing that isn't the case with the newer Glocks though, I buy once fired 9mm brass from a local indoor range and haven't run across a 'Glocked' case yet. 40 S&W range brass was a big problem and I'm still coming across 'Glocked' cases in my stash of 40 brass.

Edited by 392heminut