Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm new and need help.

Hi, my name is Chad.

I'm new to these forums, and mainly joined to get some advice.  I've been at that point for several years where I'm too busy to reload and shoot with family and work commitments.   So for several years I've just shot what I can buy, and haven't really reloaded in the last seven years.

I'm looking to maximize my time at the bench and get back into reloading.  I've never owned a progressive, closest thing was a Lee auto index turret that I used mainly for brass prep.  I'm looking for advice on either Dillon or the FA X-10 and this seemed like the place to ask.

9mm and .45 ACP will be the main pistol I want to load for.  .223/5.56, 6mm CM, .300 BO, and .308 for rifle.  Any advice would be great, and thank you.

I would really like more context as to why.  Why is the 650/750 better than the X-10 or vice-versa?  Since I've never owned a progressive I don't think either would disappoint me.

The biggest detractors to me for the Dillon is it doesn't come with a case feeder and it's a five station.  The X-10 has what the Dillon doesn't,  case feeder and more stations.  Cost of ownership seems to be about equal in the long term, but there is a huge aftermarket for the Dillon.  Honestly, the biggest issue for most people is the 180⁰ stroke of the X-10.

I'm at the point (information overload) where if I had the money I'd buy both and sell the one I liked the least.  However, if I had the money to buy both I'd be asking about a Mark7 Apex 10 instead.  I'm sure my wife would have her hand on her hips with a disapproving look on her face if I bought an Apex 10!

47 minutes ago, taylorce1 said:

..,I'm sure my wife would have her hand on her hips with a disapproving look on her face if I bought an Apex 10!

That’s because she thinks you should buy the Dillon RL-1100. 
Then, next year you can automate it…

29 minutes ago, Dr Mitch said:

X-10 might be awesome, IDK.  Everyone I know uses a Dillon and has always used Dillon.

That I understand, and that's the biggest response I get.  I'm just trying to do things differently than I've done in the past.  My past self would have gone through every brand of progressive press (starting with Lee) before finally buying a press like a 750 or X-10.

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

That’s because she thinks you should buy the Dillon RL-1100. 
Then, next year you can automate it…

Honestly I could probably buy a RL-1100 and set it up for one pistol cartridge or .223 right now.  It's just if I go with the 750 or X-10, I can set it up at least for every cartridge I mentioned.  That's buying six tool heads, three shell plates, and four powder measures and case feed plates to start.  I also might have enough left over for a bullet feeder.

On 1/31/2024 at 10:43 AM, taylorce1 said:

9mm and .45 ACP will be the main pistol I want to load for.  .223/5.56, 6mm CM, .300 BO, and .308 for rifle

I think this may come down to how much you shoot/load and in what ratios.

For most folks this breakdown would mean a bunch of 9mm and a lot of 223, mixed in with some 45, some 300BO, and a bit of 6CM and 308. 

And how much in total? 

And how often will you switch?

I described my evolutionary process over in this thread, sounds like you are in the same decision making process. 

In my case I started with a 550 and ended up with a 550 and a 650 and a 1100 (with several waypoints in between).  Right now if you really don't know, you can always go get a 550 and maybe it is all you ever want/need, or maybe it is just a set of training wheels.  But you could either keep it (good for rifles and lower volume pistols, cheap and easy to change over), or if you ever want to flip it, as I said in the other thread, they are as easy to sell as a Honda Civic in a college town! 😉 

1 hour ago, mmc45414 said:

I think this may come down to how much you shoot/load and in what ratios.

For most folks this breakdown would mean a bunch of 9mm and a lot of 223, mixed in with some 45, some 300BO, and a bit of 6CM and 308. 

I'm not a big pistol guy, I shoot enough to stay proficient.  Probably 1.5-2K per year 9mm, with three shooters (Wife and daughter as well).  I inherited the .45 and I could just buy ammo for it, I'm think of buying another that I'll shoot more.  I'd like to add a PCC in either cartridge, but 9mm will probably win out.

.223 and 6mm CM really depends on the year.  If the prairie dogs are good 5-6K a season for .223 and 500-600 with the CM.  My AR-15s eat about the same as my 9mm.  .300 BLK is just stupid on cost but probably 500 a year mainly subsonic.  .308 is probably between 100-200 in my hunting rifles, I would like to add an M1A or AR-10 to the mix in the future. 

Sounds like ease of caliber conversion is your main factor.  I have two tool heads for .223, one for sizing and trimming, and one for loading and seating, so I don't have to switch things around on one tool head, which you'd probably want to do for .223 and 6.5CM.

There is no "best press. The choice for a reloading press is IMO very personal and dependent on a set of parameters: # of rounds reloaded and shot, space for the press, technical experience, etc. , but more importantly the time you want to spend on the press and your budget. All presses have their advantages and disadvantages, lovers and haters, and presses that run flawlessly, as well as presses that go from one issue to another ... . Try to find someone who has the press(es) you're interested in and go see and feel it. If not possible, check out Youtube: lots of user reviews available.

Good luck!

For what it's worth, I would get a Dillon 550.  You can load around 500 rounds an hour AND you can use it as a single stage press.  I load nearly 25 different calibers and have been using a 550 for over 25 years.

3 hours ago, taylorce1 said:

I'm not a big pistol guy, I shoot enough to stay proficient.  Probably 1.5-2K per year 9mm, with three shooters (Wife and daughter as well).  I inherited the .45 and I could just buy ammo for it, I'm think of buying another that I'll shoot more.  I'd like to add a PCC in either cartridge, but 9mm will probably win out.

.223 and 6mm CM really depends on the year.  If the prairie dogs are good 5-6K a season for .223 and 500-600 with the CM.  My AR-15s eat about the same as my 9mm.  .300 BLK is just stupid on cost but probably 500 a year mainly subsonic.  .308 is probably between 100-200 in my hunting rifles, I would like to add an M1A or AR-10 to the mix in the future. 

This sure does sound like a 550.  The faster presses are nice, but there is more to buy, and more to change, every time you swap cartridge setups.  Even if the money is not important, not having the extra steps makes the changing process nicer.

Rather than a 750 you might consider a pair of 550s, you could leave them setup for large and small primers.  And you can manage more than one project at a time.

I would not recommend an 1100, swapping one over at those volumes would probably take more time than would be saved.

1 hour ago, Dr Mitch said:

I have two tool heads for .223, one for sizing and trimming, and one for loading and seating, so I don't have to switch things around on one tool head, which you'd probably want to do for .223 and 6.5CM.

Yeah, this.  And you can size cases, clean the lube off, trim, and then load on a separate toolhead that swaps with two pins pulled. 

1 hour ago, wanttolearn said:

i just did a quick search and found this comparison of many of the popular reloading presses including the 2 you mentioned. Perhaps it might help you decide.

https://ultimatereloader.com/2022/05/27/the-progressive-press-shootout-12-presses-compared/

Watched that and that's what took me down this rabbit hole so to speak.  I watced another video where a guy was interviewing Gavin, and he called the X-10 a possible game changer.

36 minutes ago, MadBomber said:

For what it's worth, I would get a Dillon 550.  

I really want the auto index, just to prevent accidental double charges.  If I was just doing rifle I'd probably buy two 550c presses.

Why not just use the Lee Turret? 200/hr will get your 2500/year done easily. Load faster with the primer feeder on the newer model.

Then there should be no nasty wife face.

No need for new press when you have it right there.

12 minutes ago, Dr. Phil said:

Why not just use the Lee Turret? 200/hr will get your 2500/year done easily. Load faster with the primer feeder on the newer model.

It's basically the same primer feed on my model, and frankly it sucks.  

1 hour ago, Dr. Phil said:

But you probably crave the 1040, so why not?

I crave maximizing my time.  I don't work a normal job with a schedule, I work 100% on call 24/7 usually 14+ hrs total time every call.  Some days I might only have an hour to knock out some rounds to head to the range. 

I can't really plan for time to reload, that's why I've been buying a lot of my ammunition.   I'm just getting tired of buying a case or two of ammunition to find out my rifles don't shoot it as well as I'd like.

20 hours ago, taylorce1 said:

I crave maximizing my time. Some days I might only have an hour to knock out some rounds to head to the range.

Maybe watch some videos that show cartridge change over.  Your volumes are low and your needs are varied, so figure that into maximizing your time.

You also mentioned indexing as a way to avoid double charges, and that is valid.  But know that with rifles if you double charge there will be huge pile of spilled powder when you go to place a bullet because the cases are (ETA: I meant to say:) not twice as big as they need to be.  45ACP is probably the biggest danger of the ones you listed, plenty of room in there for too much fast burning powders, and the cartridge likes faster burning powders. 

Edited by mmc45414

Well, yes, maximizing time was what I was suggesting. 

Many of us work. Many work 2 jobs, have families, hobbies, etc.

The Turret is a 30 second caliber switch, Tool head, shell holder, and go. 

Tool heads that are set up are quick and do need to be adjusted. I have several progressive machines for different calibers and most take some adjustment from time to time. Not so with the Turret.

I expect you would know this as you have a Turret (or had).

Hope you find the answer.

Luck

I asked a good friend of mine who's been reloading for many years and is a well known competitor. He purchased the Newer Rock Chucker 7 die set up a little while back (in addition to his many other reloaders). The reloader auto indexes and is progressive, made in U.S.A. with a  lifetime warranty.

He thought that would be an excellent choice based on your situation, concerns and stated preferences.

The reloader maintains a limited hands-on involvement with the reloading process which he prefers and helps to keep him out of trouble (i guess that's why he also favors the old Dillon 550). He's not had any trouble with the newer press and is pleased with the quality, durability and the ammunition he's made with the machine.

Unfortunately, he really couldn't comment on the FA model as he's not handled one.  hope perhaps this helps.

Edited by wanttolearn

22 hours ago, MadBomber said:

For what it's worth, I would get a Dillon 550.  You can load around 500 rounds an hour AND you can use it as a single stage press.  I load nearly 25 different calibers and have been using a 550 for over 25 years.

Can’t argue with any of that. I got my 550 back in the 1990’s, and when I upgraded to the RL1100 just for 9mm a couple years ago, I kept the 550 for all the other calibers. 

@wanttolearn

I've looked at the Prochucker 7, and I keep going back to wanting a case feeder.  I do know at one time RCBS had a case feeder capability, but I'm not seeing that option on the RCBS web site.  It is also more expensive than the XL750 with a case feeder.  I do use RCBS a lot and would have no issues if it had the features I want at a comparable price.

i did a little search on the FA model just to see what people were saying....it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff however since both models are rather new and Dillon has a reputation for really standing behind and supporting their products and clients, perhaps i would choose accordingly.  I'd probably go for the new XL750 as it has the old 550 style of primer feed and maybe add the aftermarket short powder bar.

which ever press you ultimately settle on, please let us know how it works out for you. i bet others are considering similarly