Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Point Series For 2006?

Carmoney

I like it. It gives an awful lot more people an opportunity to play.

Can't see any downside--other than the $25! (Sandbagging is not really a factor in my division.)

USPSA may need to formulate a plan for breaking ties, however......

In general I like the changes, but I think there should be more than four matches.

I don't think your four best scores are representative of a whole season of shooting.

There is one other thing about the point series that has bothered me that has not been addressed.

I entered the point series last year in January prior to the Fla Open.

Last year, a number of people jumped in fairly late.

I think there should be a deadline.

Otherwise, anyone can simply wait till the season is half over and decide if their scores are competive enough.

If so, jump in.

If not blow it off.

If there is to be no deadline then don't score matches shot before the competitor enters the race.

Tls

If there is to be no deadline then don't score matches shot before the competitor enters the race.
i dont know exactly how they handled this last year, but here is how they were supposed to do it:
Registration will be available on-line by February 1, 2005. Only matches fired after your registration will count for the point series. Match directors may offer the service of accepting point series registrations at registration time, in which case that match will "count" provided the match director submits your fee with a signed statement that it was collected prior to your firing your first shot.

driver8m3:

You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. You have to be in the PS FIRST, then matches count. If you look up any individual, it specifically says:

Date Enered in the Points Series: XX XX XXXX.

So, competitors CANNOT jump in after they have shot any matches. The only provision is, that they can sign up at the match, and the MD sends a letter to Sedro stating that the individual enrolled PRIOR to the competition.

As a side note, I like the format. Everybody is saying that it is only 4 matches. It is not!!! It is merely your BEST FOUR MATCHES. You would be very hard-pressed to win the points series by only shooting four matches. Most people that won shot between 9 and 12 to get their best score and win (look it up). Saying it is "only four matches" is an inaccurate statement IMHO.

I hope that people come out to play now that it is regionalized somewhat, and has been made more affordable. Remember, sponsorships (no matter how small) come easier for those that have championship titles. It shows your dedication to shooting and measures you against everyone else in the country. I think this is a positive step that will promote growth. It is only $25...lets get it on. B)

DVC,

Jeff

Edited by Barrettone

I stand corrected.

It seems it is already policy that matches shot before entering the series do not count.

I noticed some new people appeared in the standings later in the year and did have some early matches to their credit.

Perhaps this was nothing more than a delay getting them posted after they signed up.

My bad.

T

• 2 weeks later...

If USPSA wants the PS to have a LOT of shooters, make it the official way the 2008 World Shoot teams are selected.

ETA: But removing Nationals from the PS throws a kink in that idea, unless it was put back in. I'm not sure removing Nats was a good idea in the first place.

Edited by Matthew Mink

• 2 weeks later...