Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popper recommendation

VU2AKILL

Our club is looking to replace some of our poppers.  We have looked at MGM, Shootsteel.com, Action targets and Challenge targets.  The cost is high to get into these and I was hoping another club might have some input on a brand that they loved or hated.  Any recommendations or input is greatly appreciated as this will be a large investment for the club.  TIA

25 minutes ago, shred said:

Rangemaster steel is worth a look.  Can be set forward falling or reverse.  

Plus they are two piece units so much easier to move and take up a tenth of the space in sheds. All I use now

3 hours ago, VU2AKILL said:

Are the Rangemaster guys using the regular base or the small base??

I “think” you can get them either way. I got the small bases the steel just slips into

23 hours ago, shred said:

Rangemaster steel is worth a look.  Can be set forward falling or reverse.  

Northern IL clubs have found rangemaster steel is less than ideal. We have broken more of their steel than any other vendor by a large margin. Every single popper has been rewelded multiple times due to their weld on bar stock they use to attach to the bases. 

Buy once cry once and go with MGM. 

14 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Northern IL clubs have found rangemaster steel is less than ideal. We have broken more of their steel than any other vendor by a large margin. Every single popper has been rewelded multiple times due to their weld on bar stock they use to attach to the bases. 

Buy once cry once and go with MGM. 

The design has been changed significantly.  The small bases and the poppers are an awesome design.  No welds anywhere on them.  Don't even need tools to adjust.  The older stuff like they have at Pinetree is 1st gen stuff.  What Ray is doing now is much better.

6 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

The design has been changed significantly.  The small bases and the poppers are an awesome design.  No welds anywhere on them.  Don't even need tools to adjust.  The older stuff like they have at Pinetree is 1st gen stuff.  What Ray is doing now is much better.

Well after spending 3 years of my club's funds on steel that needed to be immediately replaced again, I won't be recommending them to anyone. 3 other clubs in our direct area had the same situation. We were offered 50% of the welding fees and no replacements. He doesn't stand behind his product. 

55 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Well after spending 3 years of my club's funds on steel that needed to be immediately replaced again, I won't be recommending them to anyone. 3 other clubs in our direct area had the same situation. We were offered 50% of the welding fees and no replacements. He doesn't stand behind his product. 

This is not what I wanted to hear.  Dang it!!  Were the welds on the poppers themselves or the bases breaking??

31 minutes ago, VU2AKILL said:

This is not what I wanted to hear.  Dang it!!  Were the welds on the poppers themselves or the bases breaking??

The base itself it fine. We have popper faces crack, the welds holding the bar stock on crack and the bar stock itself snap in half. It sounds like they have a new design, but ive moved onto other vendors such as MGM. I use a ton of shootsteel  static steel in practice as well. 

2 hours ago, VU2AKILL said:

The new version has no welds.  The popper comes out of the base so they can lay flat on a shelf.  We stack our poppers up on a pallet rack shelf in our equipment garage.  The bases then interlock so they take up very little storage space.  The club I buy for is in the process of moving all of our steel over to Rangemaster.  

We are local to Ray so we don't pay shipping.  He either brings us steel if he shoots our local or delivers to us at the IL Section match.

Our club has gone totally to the new Range Master design. Two things we like, no tools needed to adjust them and the base is the same for all the poppers. If we want to change from a full size popper to a mini just pull one out put the other in, the base does not change or have to be taken out. We have built racks to hang them on in our storage sheds, much easier to keep secured from general club use.

On 1/12/2024 at 4:44 PM, aandabooks said:

The new version has no welds.  The popper comes out of the base so they can lay flat on a shelf.  We stack our poppers up on a pallet rack shelf in our equipment garage.  The bases then interlock so they take up very little storage space.  The club I buy for is in the process of moving all of our steel over to Rangemaster.  

We are local to Ray so we don't pay shipping.  He either brings us steel if he shoots our local or delivers to us at the IL Section match.

No problems like those indicated above??

On 1/13/2024 at 9:40 AM, bagdad45 said:

Our club has gone totally to the new Range Master design. Two things we like, no tools needed to adjust them and the base is the same for all the poppers. If we want to change from a full size popper to a mini just pull one out put the other in, the base does not change or have to be taken out. We have built racks to hang them on in our storage sheds, much easier to keep secured from general club use.

No problems like those listed above??

1 hour ago, VU2AKILL said:

No problems like those indicated above??

No issues from my club.  We have been using the newer style with small base for about 3 seasons.  Haven't even had to swap any carriage bolts due to spall.  Only issue that hasn't been mentioned is that these will not work well if you are running an indoor range unless you make some sort of wider wood frame to distribute the footprint and not have the base move every time it gets shot.