Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not what I was hoping for from Ruger for Christmas!

Pseudonym

I had finally decided to break my oath, and actually get an 8 shot revolver. My first firing pin in frame S&W I bought, an  L frame was a mess. It's only saving grace was it would shoot any bullet weight and powder I put in it dead nuts accurate. After a trip to a gunsmith who I had always wanted to work on my gun, it is perfect, I love the damn thing. That was going to be the last new S&W (Lock, firing pin in frame) I was going to buy. I decided for an 8 shot gun I would get one of the new Ruger Super GP100 8 shot guns when they became available again. I have contacted Ruger customer service, and they still are in production, just no ETA on when they will resurface for the past year or so. I am sitting down tonight catching up before I go climb into the rack, and what appears in an ad from a gun store. The 8 shot Ruger I have been waiting for? No! I am sure there is a reason behind the "Need" for this revolver, maybe handgun silhouette is making a comeback. I am not sure, but I find it hard to believe there would be more demand for this, over the Super GP100. 
https://ruger.com/products/superRedhawkStandard/specSheets/5526.html

16 minutes ago, Squirrel45 said:

Cool chambering though, purpose no idea. 

Surprisingly everyone is making one, S&W didnt want to get left behind..
Taurus, Ruger, Magnum research, TC... whoda thunk it

I saw that just recently. I remember when Taurus came out with them years ago they had trouble with the brass backing up and locking the cylinder up. I always thought it would have been cool to “K” one and see if it helped. I get 2800+ fps out of my 15” TC with a 40g V-Max so that’s better than a 22 mag. 

Bottle neck cases have never worked very well in revolvers. Years ago I had  a  4" M27, chambered in what a short lived rage caliber,  44/357 Bain&Davis. 44 mag necked down to 357, crazy fun and mucho velocity,  but after the 2nd cylinder full, you needed a double Jack to knock the fired cases free.

The S&W 53 revos in .22 JET (.357 Mag necked down with a long sloping shoulder to .22) Had the same issues and the traditional fix has been to clean off any traces of oil off the chambers and the loaded ammo, usually with alcohol.

Being a big fan of the hornet (I have more than a few including a few handguns) I was very interested in the Taurus "Raging Hornet" as it was named. The problem I remember distinctly was it had terrible accuracy.  One article I read had some accuracy results listed in a table like they do with a few different types of ammo. The groups listed weren't too bad for using a scope @ 100 yards. Not as good as my Anschutz hornet pistol but not terrible but then I saw in tiny print that the groups were shot at 50 yards which meant it went from not that great to terrible. 

I will be interested to see how well the Ruger turns out as far as accuracy?