Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Practices - Transport reloader / primers / powder

jrdoran

I'm taking my reloader to my winter home.  2 day driving trip.    I've done it before ( once ) and carefully pack / protect it in a large rubbermaid. 

My question is best practices on powder / primers.   Powder is in original plastic jugs. 

Primers are in original packaging and I might have some in aluminum primer tubes.      

I typically put the primers in a plastic ammo box  and the powder in a small rubber maid separately.    What other advice or precautions should I take ? 

Personally I would empty the primer tubes back into a regular primer tray or leave them back if you don’t have an original tray/box. Pack primers tightly so they can’t flop around, just like the factory does. I like using cardboard boxes instead of plastic, just for the static factor, and metal is good too. Drive defensively and try not to get stopped. Seems like anymore everyone’s a terrorist. 

Edited by Farmer
Added

Before one of my moves I asked a friend who is an explosive ordinance disposal officer about transporting reloading components. His only advice other than the precautions you have already taken (storing in a container that doesn't allow pressure to build if it does burn) was to not let the powder get excessively hot as it becomes more reactive at higher Temps. Probably not a major consideration except in summer.

Primers should be transported in original packaging.  If you have a bunch of loose primers together in a jar, box, tube or whatever, and one goes off, it could set off the whole lot.  Which could be a real problem.  Also, pack the powder and primers in separate containers stored as far apart as possible.  Def don't pack them together.  Other than that, pretty much what's been posted.  

It would take alot to cause you problems as far as the powder primers go.  I dont think Id want to travel with primers in tubes as that ups the risk a little but more than likely you will get there and have to pick up primers at the bottom of whatever you transport them in.  Id be most concerned about keeping the press from bouncing. 

Short of you driving a tesla not much will ignite them .

Funny, I do drive a Tesla;   I had planned to put powder in the "Frunk" and Primers in the Trunk;      

What I do with press is I have a large rubbermaid container 3.5 feet by like 18" or close;   I remove case / bullet / powder feeders.    put 2  large thick blankets in the rubbermaid;  lay press in ; wrap in blanket, fill voids with  soft stuff or even sneakers being transported.   put the rubbermaid top on and good to go in trunk; 

Then I have a separate rubbermaid with scale, micrometer, tools, all the little crap;   

That should be plenty safe.

21 hours ago, jrdoran said:

Funny, I do drive a Tesla;   I had planned to put powder in the "Frunk" and Primers in the Trunk;      

What I do with press is I have a large rubbermaid container 3.5 feet by like 18" or close;   I remove case / bullet / powder feeders.    put 2  large thick blankets in the rubbermaid;  lay press in ; wrap in blanket, fill voids with  soft stuff or even sneakers being transported.   put the rubbermaid top on and good to go in trunk; 

Then I have a separate rubbermaid with scale, micrometer, tools, all the little crap;