Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ipsc Rule Books For 2006

BritinUSA

The next scheduled date for new rules is not until 2009 and this returns IPSC back to the 3 year cycle. Please note that the shorter gap between the 2004 and 2006 rules was a "one off" fully approved by the General Assembly and was as a result of a massive effort to align the Handgun, Shotgun and Rifle rules.

The usual date for approving major IPSC rule changes is set to coincide with the IPSC General Assembly held in conjunction with the IPSC HG World Championships (a 3 year cycle). If approved the rules then take effect from the following January.

All previously issued interpretations have been deleted because they are now fully included in the new rules.

The implementation of the 2006 rulebooks does not prevent the issuing of any necessary new interpretations (not changes). Any interpretations have to be approved by the IPSC Executive and then ratified at the next available (annual) General Assembly.

The IPSC Rules Committee responsible for these latest rules is chaired by Mike Voigt (USPSA President) and John Amidon (USPSA) is a voting member (out of 5 voting members) of the committee.

Edited by Neil Beverley

I had a look at the new rules and it's kinda tough spotting some changes, but I see a whole new section on match ammo in rule 5.8. Does anyone have a list of the other changes?

What's the status of the USPSA rulebook? Did we get an exemption yet? If so, is the green book still in force or do we change to the IPSC rulebook now?

I had a look at the new rules and it's kinda tough spotting some changes, but I see a whole new section on match ammo in rule 5.8. Does anyone have a list of the other changes?

If like me, you've got the 2004 Rulebook (irrespective of discipline) printed out and self-binded, an easy method is to printout the new 2006 ones. Put the 2004 book on the left-handside of your desk & turn the pages over. On your right-handside, take the respective page your looking at on your 2004 rulesbook. Line them up, side by side. You can quickly see which rules have had more lines/sentences added/removed. However, be careful as this method does not take into account noun changes like "Penalty Targets" to "No-shoots". -Yes, you read that right (see Rule 4.1.3). :)

-I'm slowly copying my annotated notes from my RO course over to the new rules. So, this is the current method I'm using.

Hope this helps.

Lab. :)

PS - Pls. don't tell all the kidz that I'm doing this in the New Year as I'll lose all Street Cred'. ;)

EDIT- You can then recycle your old rulebook or use as scrap paper - ya know every little bit helps (Mothernature and that). :D

Edited by IceDragon

All of this begs the question; Just what rules are we going to shoot under this Sunday? Do I shoot Limited? or Standard, L-10 may or may not be in existence. is Production still limited to 10 rounds and a carry type hoster, OR should I bring out the 9mm and the CR-Speed?

Hey, are we shooting heads up or do we still have aclassification system?

And some people think it doesn't matter!

Jim Norman

But Flex, isn't that only true if we have a waiver? When the new rules became effective didn't our waiver cease? I believe that is what was posted earlier on.

As far as I am concerned, the USPSA 2004 rules should remain in effect until such time as USPSA is A) Able to review the final IPSC rules and B) make such adjustments as necessary and C) Adopt the new USPSA rules upon receipt of our new waiver.

Jim Norman

Unfortunatly we are in a catch 22 situation at the present. Technically our waiver expired at the end of the year, therefore one could argue that the 2006 rulebook is the only rule book.

I don't believe there are any matches, other than level one matches, for a few months. Hopefully this will all be worked out in a few days.

When I was in the army I was told to always obey the last order you received. With that advice, my home club will maintain the 2004 book until notified otherwise.

Gary

Thanks for the update Gary. We have a classifier match next weekend - yes a level one match. Then in Feb there is a larger match for our area, the WIIT: http://www.pinetreepistolclub.org/?p=event...ils&eventid=222

It very well might be a level one match but it is the largest match in our area this time of the year and people have entered from several states away.

I understand status quo until told otherwise and that seems reasonable to me.

Thanks again and I know that you will keep us posted when you hear something.

Rick

George,

If I am reading correctly this is a Level 1 Match. BUT, If we don't have a waiver, can we run the divisoins we normally run? Last year the FO had obviously USPSA Divisions. No rule book can that fly? IPSC Does not recognize L-10, or our version of Production.

So again we need our waiver of Franls match looks like an Outlaw match.

Jim

George,

If I am reading correctly this is a Level 1 Match. BUT, If we don't have a waiver, can we run the divisoins we normally run? Last year the FO had obviously USPSA Divisions. No rule book can that fly? IPSC Does not recognize L-10, or our version of Production.

So again we need our waiver of Franls match looks like an Outlaw match.

Jim

Hey, I was just trying to be helpful. :D

I don't know what the answer is to the rule book question. Heck, I'm not even a RO anymore!

Jim,

I shoot USPSA matches. I use the USPSA rule book. I will do so, and inform the clubs in the Ohio Section to do so, until I hear different from USPSA.

Remember, IPSC had a new book out before, we (in USPSA) continued under the Red book, however, until the green book was printed and mailed.

I don't think there is anything to get worried about.

Edited by Flexmoney

Why is it that no one seems to "get it" our waiver allows us to have the different divisions that we have.

I get it now and the other 30 times you told us but for example explain to me why US9.4.6.1 is different from the IPSC rule? Seems to me 5 secs means 5 secs in IPSC but it means 5.31 secs here.

Why is it that no one seems to "get it" our waiver allows us to have the different divisions that we have.

I get it now and the other 30 times you told us but for example explain to me why US9.4.6.1 is different from the IPSC rule? Seems to me 5 secs means 5 secs in IPSC but it means 5.31 secs here.

I'm not positive, but it was explained to me that if the match used turning targets the extra .3 would compensate for the time it took to turn. Instead of the target starting to turn before the time was up. So a match that used just a timer got the extra .3 also.

I'm not positive, but it was explained to me that if the match used turning targets the extra .3 would compensate for the time it took to turn. Instead of the target starting to turn before the time was up. So a match that used just a timer got the extra .3 also.

Thanks for the explanation George but my point/question is - is that a good enough reason to have a different rule? I get it with things like L10 but this seems really petty to me.

Wouldn't be best to look at the situation, then decide to merge with the best rule?

Sounds like a good plan to me and we need cool heads to handle it coz if there's any "my way or the hi-way" crap we see sometimes, that'll just alienate people.

I just found another example - there's only one additional word "photos" in US11.1.5.

Bruce

Not sure you are correct in your examples

Current 2006 IPSC rule book 9.2.4 Fixed Timed Courses

I believe also that post #2 of this thread covers the planned future revision schedule and getting back to a three year cycle and why this particular 2006 revision arose out of schedule.

Not sure you are correct in your examples. Current 2006 IPSC rule book 9.2.4 Fixed Timed Courses

You're correct. And so am I. Sort of.

My attempt to explain how we end up with different rules was based on 2005 rules (in point of fact, the USPSA Board has not yet adopted the 2006 IPSC rules, so the "green book" is still our rulebook in force at the moment). IPSC took Fixed Time out of their rules in 2000/2001. USPSA added it back into the 2000/2001 USPSA rulebooks. At some point (2002 or 2003?) IPSC added Fixed Time back into their rulebook, so there is a *little* bit of parity, but... we still differ on whether an overtime shot occurs at 5.01 or 5.31 IPSC is basically silent on shots taken *at* the cease-fire signal (overtime shots are "shots taken after the cease-fire signal"), the USPSA rulebook gives a specific measure by which to tell whether a shot should be counted as overtime. My guess is that USPSA will stick with the 5.31, both because of historical precedent, and because any classifier results shot on Fixed Time stages would be invalidated if we all-of-a-sudden changed the definition of what an overtime shot is. Without good/compelling reason, I can't see us making that change.

I'd also note that the 2006 rules for Fixed Time introduce a new notion, which concerns me. 9.4.6.2 says that if there are overtime shots, the RO should "assume" that the highest hits on the target were the overtime ones. In their example, if you have 1A, 6C and 1D hits and two overtime shots, the A and one of the Cs are "ignored", and the remaining 6 are scored. That is substantively different from the way Fixed Time stages have historically been scored (count the best 6 hits, then apply 1 PE for each extra shot, 1 PE for each extra hit, and then deduct 5 points for each overtime shot).

Old way: best 6 = 1A, 5C = 25 points, minus (2 x 5pts for overtime) = 15 points

New way: ignore 1A and 1C, best 6 = 5C, 1D = 22 points

As noted above, I don't know what prompted IPSC to change the way Fixed Time stages are scored, from the last time they appeared in the IPSC rulebook (see the difference between 9.4.6.2 in the 2006 IPSC rulebook, and 9.4.6.1 in the 2004 IPSC rulebook). Using IPSC's new approach, a score may come out to be the same mathematical value... or it may not. What we (USPSA) have to do, every time IPSC makes a change, is decide if the change is something that we can live with, or if it changes the game in a way that we believe is to the detriment of USPSA and its shooters.

And... that's sorta the point I was trying to make. We keep trying to steer between the traffic cones, staying with IPSC as much as we can, while keeping the game constant (and true to its heritage) as much as we can, and serving the best interest of US shooters as much as we can. But, many times, those goals are mutually exclusive.

*That* is how we end up with US rules that are different from the IPSC rules.

Bruce

Edited by bgary

Bruce

Not sure you are correct in your examples

Current 2006 IPSC rule book 9.2.4 Fixed Timed Courses

I believe also that post #2 of this thread covers the planned future revision schedule and getting back to a three year cycle and why this particular 2006 revision arose out of schedule.

Phil,

IIRC, when the 2004 rulebooks came out, timed fire courses were again included, to address concerns from USPSA members on the rule committees.....