Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top 15000 Classification Rankings

jrdoran

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weekly Recalculation update:   http://steelrankings.com/

• Added a total at the top of each division page so you know total shooters in ranking
  • Most recent weekly SC match results obtain new USPSA numbers for inclusion ( there are like 4 - 10new matches daily ) 
  • Most recent shooter updated classifications from SCSA
  • Expired USPSA membership excluded from Rankings ( There are many )

Coming soon -- 2024 Classification Calculator

• See how Rankings and your classification change on January 1st, 2024
  •  New 2024 peak times
  •  Expire those stage classifications which are pre-2022
  •        - SCSA:Only stages shot in the current or previous two calendar years are used for classification

Thanks to those who emailed me with questions and bugs. 

Special thanks to @bravobravo for Cliff's efforts.

[First World Minor Issue]

From the main page, clicking on a Division opens a new tab to display it.

Selecting the BACK TO MAIN PAGE link does return it to the main page, but now you have 2 tabs open on the main page (since it created a new one to show the rankings for the division).

Can the link from the main page not open a new tab?

Just now, GKB said:

[First World Minor Issue]

From the main page, clicking on a Division opens a new tab to display it.

Selecting the BACK TO MAIN PAGE link does return it to the main page, but now you have 2 tabs open on the main page (since it created a new one to show the rankings for the division).

Can the link from the main page not open a new tab?

Sure, it was intentional on my part to open a new tab as I debug side by side, but I agree;  PITA for most usage. Thanks Gary. 👨‍💻

While I can do it manually by dumping to Excel, a nice future enhancement would be a page that has each division and the count/percentage of shooters that are 95%/GM, 85%/M, etc.

(Yes, the actual percentage may not match what the Classification a person is grandfathered into, but this is what their Current ability level is.) 

1.8% (11 of 604) of ISR shooters are shooting GM/95+% but 4.4% (200 of 4542) of RFRO shooters are GMs.

Which makes me wonder.....is ISR harder to make GM (in which case the PSTs need to be adjusted up/down) or there just isn't the dedication to keep shooting the division that RFRO shooters have?

In practice, each Division should have the same spread of Classifications.

24 minutes ago, jrdoran said:

Duh….i saw it in the original post.  I’m a full count off today.  😩

lower percentage of GM’s in ISR probably is due to not that many serious revolver shooters dedicated enough to reach GM.

we get a few but it seems to be new guys or some who just are trying something new out.

its an art form in my opinion to know how to stage revolver trigger.

Interesting.....Here are the Divisions sorted by highest percentage of GMs.

image.png.19b2037cb2a498002f1e49d1e050d004.png

Observations

1.  There are more ISR and OSR shooters than PCCI.

2.  PCCI has the highest percentage of GMs.  Wonder if that is just GMs shooting PCCO go ahead and shoot PCCI since it's so similar?  It would be interesting to pull all of the PCCI GMs and see what their classification is in PCCO.  (Which I may get compelled enough to do but I'm not that motivated today.)  Or if there is a RFRx crossover with PCCx?

2.  Surprised at the low percentage of GMs in Prod and Open.

Edited by GKB

11 minutes ago, WildPete said:

PCCI was the first division I made GM in. The times to make GM are on your side when shooting PCCI.

Which can explain why 5 stages are having their PSTs lowered for PCCI in 2024 to make it harder to get GM.  (80 sec to 78.25, 1.75 sec overall reduction)

However, CO is also having 5 stages lowered (94.0 to 92.50, 1.5 sec overall reduction) and only 1.1% of the CO shooters are GM (vs 13.9% for PCCI).  I would argue (for 4,333 shooters which is a large data set), that CO is already too low based on the low percentage of GMs.

BTW, the overall GM percentage is 2.9% for Steel Challenge (834 GMs in 28,577 active shooters).

Edited by GKB

57 minutes ago, GKB said:

Interesting.....Here are the Divisions sorted by highest percentage of GMs.

image.png.19b2037cb2a498002f1e49d1e050d004.png

Observations

1.  There are more ISR and OSR shooters than PCCI.

2.  PCCI has the highest percentage of GMs.  Wonder if that is just GMs shooting PCCO go ahead and shoot PCCI since it's so similar?  It would be interesting to pull all of the PCCI GMs and see what their classification is in PCCO.  (Which I may get compelled enough to do but I'm not that motivated today.)  Or if there is a RFRx crossover with PCCx?

Before I make my initial thoughts on this I wonder what the percentages would look like taken from the 2023 WSSC?

59 minutes ago, Hoops said:

Before I make my initial thoughts on this I wonder what the percentages would look like taken from the 2023 WSSC?

How does WSSC add clarification?

By the classifications of the competitors or the scores in the match?  Either way, the competitors here would be better than the average of all SC competitors.

48 minutes ago, GKB said:

By the classifications of the competitors or the scores in the match?  Either way, the competitors here would be better than the average of all SC competitors.

The BOD folks that evaluate Peak Times use the WSSC as the basis for change.  Perhaps one other Area match.  I don’t know the data.  Is this comparable to your spreadsheet I don’t know.  What I have read is BOD concerns that there are too many GM’s….hence lowering peak times?  Perhaps it’s me comparing apples to oranges?

7 hours ago, GKB said:

For Open I'd guess because the top shooters shoot Open so the peak times are most likely to be set by extremely good SC shooters vs just very good SC shooters.

6 hours ago, GKB said:

The percentage of GM’s in your spreadsheet was lower than what I would have guessed.  So I was just wondering why USPSA.org thinks there are too many GM’s and subsequently uses the WSSC matches as basis of evaluating Peak Times.   About 15%-18% of classified GM’s shoot at GM times for the WSSC 8 stage match.

comparing ratios of the WSSC to your spreadsheet may not correlate equally?

BTW….i like your spreadsheet.  At least it shows classifications and percentages against the “field “.  

3 hours ago, shred said:

For Open I'd guess because the top shooters shoot Open so the peak times are most likely to be set by extremely good SC shooters vs just very good SC shooters.

They typically throw out percentages over 110% +/-  into this calculation. It really comes down to how popular a certain division is. 

6. Only stages shot in the current or previous two calendar years are used for classification.

So right now we are close the MAX calendar interval for  shooters having almost 3 full years of match results eligible to be counted towards classification percentages. 

On 1/1/24, that will drop to 2 years and grow back throughout 2024

While I finish up the more typical 2024 ( 2022, 2023, 2024 ) classification future rankings,  I think it will be interesting to see how classification results / ranking shape up if we just limit it to current year.   Imagine on 1/124 if there are zero results and then as match results are generated, then classification results are counted.  So as January, February, etc roll out, more and more match results are counted for 'current year'.   This certainly favors warm weather shooters to get an early jump and doesn't fair well for those resting on prior year accomplishments.  🙂

As the code to generate the current year is very similar to the normal classification rankings, I'll add this.  I think it will be fun to see the list build throughout the year. 

Note as always, I have no official SCSA role and only do this stuff for interesting analysis ( thank you every one ).

13 hours ago, HeadStrawBerryCounter said:

@jrdoran appears you have SC-104 for rimfire rifle open listed incorrectly in your 2023/2024 proposed peak stage times. Shouldn't it be 10.75? I'm sourcing my data from May 23, 2023 SCSA PST Adjustments 2024 USPSA BOD minutes.

Thank you for the close eye.  Typo on my part.  Fixed it on the page.