Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 9MM to purchase?

SAW45

Hi!

Where I live, the local match is not a sanctioned match of any of the large organizations. It's just an organized shoot for locals to have fun at. We shoot at metal targets and paper also. I will never be a master class shooter, and will not be traveling to any sanctioned matches. We shoot 2 classes, semi-auto and revolver. Caliber must be at least 9MM with no preference given to any specific calibers. With that in mind I'd like to buy a 9MM semi-auto. I can get all the brass I want for free, and the 9MM is relatively inexpensive to reload. I'd like to buy a 9MM that won't break my bank, and yet will be accurate enough for competition and reliable at the same time. I'd probably put around 100-200 rounds a week through it, and I'd be shooting lead bullets. I'd like some suggestions on which Glock would be a good choice for me, and why you feel it's a good choice. Approximate prices would be nice but not required!  Thanks in advance!!

Glock is a good very choice - it was my first 9mm back in 1992 and has run 100% since. I am not going to pan other/cheaper 9mm autos (other than that crappy S&W copy of the Walther and the Rugers - owned one once also). Its just that the Glock does everything you want in a 9mm such as: its extremely reliable; the trigger is good out of the box and can be made better/lighter safely with $25 worth of available mail order parts (don't ask at the neighborhood gunstore) and 15 min. of work you do at home; Glock stands behind their stuff and will warranty their gun without question - though you won't need it because 9mm Glocks almost never break; the finish (Tenifer) is super hard stuff unlike any finish applied in the US (ask S&W why their SW uppers don't have Tenifer while the Walthers from Germany do); finally, you can take your out of the box 9mm Glock to any USPSA, IDPA, or GSSF match and be as competitive as any shooter in your class - all it might require is $25 worth of Uncle Mike's Kydex or plastic Fobus holster/mag pouches and 3 or 4 extra mags.  All this praise for Glocks from a 1911 shooter - hey, what can I say? - the Glock works, period. Afterthought: for USPSA production, I prefer the Glock 17 over the 34; I'd avoid the Glock 19 or smaller as they are tougher to shoot fast accurately than the larger guns.

(EDIT) Saw 2nd post in BEginner's section and also agree that the Croatian made HS2000 (Now called the Springfield "XD&quot would be another excellent choice priced near the Glock; the Berretas are OK too though I think the really good ones (the Elite II) are a few hundred $$$ more than the Glock and I am not a fan of the DA first shot. If you really cheap out on the purchase and think  SA first shot is OK, please, at least take the time to buy the CZ75 over any of the other cheap 9s out there.

(Edited by Carlos at 9:33 am on Sep. 10, 2002)

If the gun is to be used strictly for competition I would go with a 34.  If you think the gun would ever be used for concealed carry also, I would go with the 17.  You'll find the 17 a little cheaper, and probably more easily found for sale used also as compared to the 34.  I think the 34 is a better competition gun due to the longer barrel, longer sight radius, and some of the extras like extended releases and catches that the 17 doesn't have standard.  However, like anything, opinions vary in this respect.  Take a hard look at both before making your decision.

G17 pros

- easy to find, good deals on used

- shorter, easier to handle and draw...the decreased sight radius (vs. the G34)  likey not much of a factor for the stuff that we shoot

- no adjustable, plactice Glock sights (this is a good thing)

- no extended slide release (another good thing)

G34 pros

- comes with the 3.5lbs connector ($20 part that will drop-in to the G17)

- comes with the extended mag release ($5 drop-in part)

- longer sight radius

- ready to run...out of the box.

G34 cons

- usually comes with plastic adjustable sights...these are terrible (IMO).  They give a broken sight picture...not flush accross the top.

- extended slide release...never needed and it can get in the way, jamming the gun  (easy swap to a non-extended)

The recommendations here are all good.  My $02:

Avoid the Ruger Pxx series like the plague.  

Ditto for the S&W Glock knock-offs.

Early versions of the H&K USP's are just totally worthless.  (I was never so happy to sell a gun.)  Later versions may be OK, but I still haven't been impressed.  People do use the HK P7 series with great success.

Beretta 92D's (DAO) sometimes come up very cheap.  Have Ernest Langdon do a trigger job and that's a setup that can rock.  High cap mags are cheap for Beretta's should you decide to shoot Limited for fun.

Glock is still your #1 best choice.

E

I shoot a G17 at IDPA matches in both SSP and ESP, the advantage with the Glock using the "Safe Action Trigger" is you compete in both those divisions with the pistol staring in the same condition unlike DA/SA where you start with the hammer down in SSP and up in ESP.

The reliability is exceptional, the only malfunctions I had were "stovepipes" and it was usually pilot error.

I purchased mine used sometime in the early 90's, it was a factory reconditioned pistol with alot of holster wear and  has even more now. She may not be the prettiest but I would bet my life with her.

Another advantage is that parts are relativley cheap as compared to 1911's and most can be installed yourself, its just a matter of swapping out.

Now about the trigger, I know it stinks, and there are parts that can help to some effect, but if reliability is more of concern you just got to get used to it.

Allen

As an owner of both a G34 and G19 Glock, I have to recommend the Springfield XD in 9mm for a casual competitor. I picked up one recently and am very impressed with it, and will be shooting it in IPSC Production class.

Price can be found under $400. (I bought one for $320)

10 round mags are @ $20. (hicaps can be had as well, either Beretta or S&W mags easily modified to work -

as a matter of fact the factory .40 cal XD mags will hold 15 rds of 9mm and can work flawlessly in the 9mm.)

The trigger IMHO is better than the Glock out of the box.

It doesn't need anything else done to it, if you dig the 3 dot sights - otherwise any sights for a Sig 226/228 fit just fine.

Every Glock I've had I've modified the bejesus out of the action trying to improve the trigger, usually to the point of unreliability - just ask TDean about his recent Glock experiences.

And the XD is very accurate - even with the Blazer 9mm I've been running through it.

Its about the closest I've found so far to "semi-automatic perfection" for a box stock gun suitable for competition or carry (apologies to Glock!).

Glocks are great tools, and I carry one, but very few people like the triggers "out of the box" for competition, it seems. If you do like the Glock trigger, then Glocks are a great choice as well. But don't rule out an XD until you try one.

Looks like we (mostly) agree that the Glock or XD (really just the Croatian HS 2000 re-marketed by us 'mericuns) are the guns you want. Note on my trigger comment: when I said "$25" worth of mail order Glock trigger parts, I meant the Glock FACTORY 3.5 lb connector ($20) and reduced power striker spring ($5)- both available from lotsa online places like glockmeister.com. Now, there may be folks thinking "OH MY GOD!! REDUCED POWER STRIKER SPRING WILL CAUSE DANGEROUS HANGFIRES!!" - yeah, right: maybe if all you plan on shooting is surplus submachinegun ammo or rock hard CCI primers! I have had my reduced power striker spring equiped Glock fail to light really hot Danish Madsen machinegun ammo - big surprise there - that stuff did not reliably go off in a stock Steyr M-9! And CCI primers? Reduced power striker spring sets it off every time.

What will these parts get you? About 3.5 lbs or less. A little polishing (be VERY careful here and do not get greedy) a-la Dale Rhea's article in frontsite and you will be near 3 lbs. Is that light enough? (flame suit on) I think so and here's why: a good friend is in South Africa right now as one of the 4 shooters selected for our team. His trigger is set heavier than mine and I tested mine at 2.5 lbs. You may think you "need" a trigger lighter than 3 lbs to be competitive in limited, but I can show you a world-class shooter who begs to differ. My advice? spend your time and mental energy on practice and don't worry that your trigger weighs too much.

One factor going for the Glock is they're everywhere and easy to buy/sell used should you decide you don't like it and want an XD instead (assuming you're that way with guns-- some people never sell one no matter what)

just came from the range where  i shoot 300 9mm's in my glock 17. load 25 rounds in the mag then let her fly, tons of fun but i get tired of loading mags to empty them that fast. but i don't you could go wrong with a 17 easy to shoot and you can still find hi caps if you want.