Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Dawson Practical Advantage

DJPoLo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

enhanced stroke technology seems to be a scientific name for something that is done with the lights turned down low. BWAhahahaha!

seriously what is this new technology thingamajig that we shooters want to spend outrageous amounts of money to test?

...what exactly is Enhanced Stroke Technology? I'm not familiar with that.

Dawson Precision's Enhanced Stroke Technology is their super-modern way to increase the recoil stroke of the slide. It's done for many reasons, but I have had this gun "Stroked" to increase reliability when running Alumabuffs.

We have had our other two Dawson squirters Stroked as well.

Dawson MiniGun Stroker #1

Dawson MiniGun Stroker #2

-Chet

Edited by DJPoLo

Wow! Nice Heaters Chet! I have two Dawson Practical Advantage pistols, one of which is brand spankin new! I noticed that you are running the Koenig hammer instead of the C&S/Dawson hammer. Is this for an extra light trigger job (i.e. 1.25-1.50 lbs)? I am about to send my babies back to Dave to have him lighten the triggers. I have the Dawson hammers in both guns and both triggers break at just over 2.5lbs. I'd like to get them to 2 lbs 0oz flat, so I was wondering if that may require a different hammer/sear/disconnector setup. Also, how do you like the flat trigggers? I may try one out as I am currently using the STI long curve in both guns. Any input would be great, and thanks in advance!

Mike Thomas

I noticed that you are running the Koenig hammer instead of the C&S/Dawson hammer. Is this for an extra light trigger job (i.e. 1.25-1.50 lbs)?

Also, how do you like the flat trigggers? I may try one out as I am currently using the STI long curve in both guns. Any input would be great, and thanks in advance!

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forums! B)

I have no idea if the Koenig hammers will allow a lighter trigger pull, I use 'em because they (so I'm told) drop faster.

As for the flat triggers, I have them installed on all my guns. I like the way they feel. It seems more "precise" to me than the curved variety. In fact I had Dawson install them on my new STInger and carbine as well.

FWIW: The trigger pull on this gun is 34 oz. My wife likes 'em a little heavier than I do. My open gun is just over 24 oz..

-Chet

Edited by DJPoLo

Damn, and I thought Scooby was a bit.. uh.. flashy ;)

Chet... if you know 'em, what *are* the other reasons to "stroke" a gun, besides making clearance to allow you to run a buff without artificially shortening slide travel?? Just curious - that's the only reason I'm aware of, personally.... :)

BTW - have had a C&S/Extreme Engineering trigger group in two guns, now - the lock time is awful spiffy w/ the "Ultra" hammer (for instance, see the Dawson catalog, page 11, right above the Koenig hammer in the middle of the page). The trick setup is one of those two hammers. The previous open gun I had was setup for 24 ozs. Current one is a little more (un-measured, as yet - around two pounds) - but will be getting some of that trimmed soon... I don't know if the Koenig is faster, or not - they both feel like warp speed compared to the stock STI hammer in my Trojan!! :wacko:

Chet... if you know 'em, what *are* the other reasons to "stroke" a gun, besides making clearance to allow you to run a buff without artificially shortening slide travel?? Just curious - that's the only reason I'm aware of, personally.... :)

IIRC, the other reason is to slow down the cyclic rate of the gun. I've slept and drank since it was explained to me so I can't recall the advantage to this. Perhaps it allows more time for the gun to "settle"? Shred, can you comment?

And before anyone gets to arguing the fact: You will never "out shoot" the cycling of your slide. It happens too fast. You'll never catch up. No matter how long it's stroked.

-Chet

Thanks for the information Chet! I was just curious about the triggers and hammers. I may have a couple of the flat triggers fitted to my guns just to check them out. Did your flat triggers start out as the blanks that have to be fitted to the shooter? If they were, it looks like you did a nice job on your wife's gun. If you purchased the trigger like the one in the picture, let me know where you got it!!

Incidently, have you had good experiences with the service at Dawson? I am a big fan of Dave's craftsmanship as a builder, and his guns run like tops, but he is never available for questions (I know he's extremely busy and I don't need to talk to him often at all). Also, so many of the orders I have placed with them have gotten screwed up - royally!! However, they have always made good on things that got messed up, so I'm okay with things, I just wish they were better about correspondance (i.e. returning phone calls, etc.)

Thx,

Mike

IIRC, the other reason is to slow down the cyclic rate of the gun. I've slept and drank since it was explained to me so I can't recall the advantage to this. Perhaps it allows more time for the gun to "settle"? Shred, can you comment?

-Chet

A longer stroke also gives the magazine more time to bring the next round up into position and lets you run a lighter spring to boot.

I like it because I can pile on the shok-buffs, aluminim and otherwise and it still runs 100%

• 4 weeks later...

Hard Chrome is nice and shiny but you guys are missing a bet if you don't try ROBAR's NP3 finish. It's an electriless nickle finish the color of pewter. It wears better than any other finish I've ever seen (I've got a 70 series .45 I had done about 15 years ago that I shoot in L-10 and the new single stack division that shows NO sign of wear). The finish is also slicker than snot on a doorknob - you can clean your gun with a paper towel. I just got around to cleaning my NP3'd 10MM limited gun after around 1000 no-burp rounds. Cost is comparable to hard chrome also. Try it, you'll like it.

A friend had a nice open gun trashed by NP3-ing it, so I wouldn't do one of those. It looks OK on limited guns. I'm still all about the chrome though.. My old Open gun has almost 80K major rounds on it and still looks and fits great.

Chet, who's doing the chrome work for you? Looksgood on your Nimbus. :wub:

Um, I'm having it done through Dawson, so whoever it is that he uses.

Shred? Any idea?

-Chet

I asked once. I don't think it's Tripp for some reason, but can't remember otherwise.

I asked once. I don't think it's Tripp for some reason, but can't remember otherwise.

I got really queer looks from Messrs. Dawson and Ripley when I asked that same question, and was told "Uh... no".

• 2 months later...