Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken optic screw in pistol slide - what to do now?

chp5

The dot on my Holosun 407 K started losing zero and walking at the range.  It’s mounted on my optics ready Shield Plus with a mounting plate.  I thought it was the optic.  When I took it off, one of the screws that mounts the optic to the slide through the mounting plate is broken off in the slide.  See pic.

What the hell do I do now?  Thanks.

Shield plus optics ready broken screw.jpg

Easy fix for any machine shop. Finding one willing to do it though....

You quickest fix would probably be to find a hobby machinist with a milling machine. It COULD be done on a drill press but not as accurately. Hope this helps.

Edited by MauleN12VR

https://www.harborfreight.com/screw-extractor-and-left-hand-drill-bit-combo-set-10-piece-63987.html

The smallest bit and extractor in there would be what you need.  #6 screws are .138 wide, 5/64 = .078.  You don't need to drill far - just enough to get the extractor to bite.

Heat it up with a heat gun or torch (slowly) first to loosen the loctite.

You probably don't even need the extractor.  A left-handed drill bit in a good drill press or mill usually backs them right out.

Another option is somebody handy with a TIG welder.  A quick zap to stick the end of some welding rod to the broken bolt and it'll probably come right out too.

• 1 month later...

I’ve removed sheared optics screws twice on different guns. One came out with just the force of the left handed drill bit. The other it didn’t work, so I drilled and then tapped a torx bit into the drilled hole to get more bite and it turned right out. As someone else mentioned, heat to loosen the loctite makes a huge difference. 

I learned a lesson this week about sheared off screws in a GLock slide.  It happened to one of my guy's Glock 45.  We took it to a local smith who apparently used A LOT of heat to get them out.  However, the heat caused the plastic liner insider the striker channel to deform and the gun wouldn't run when he got it back.  FWPD had some extras, we replaced the old one and it runs again.

It happened once on my INFINITY open gun, just heat it up with small propane lighter and reverse drill it out with this US made extractor, don't use those cheap HF or home depot stuff, going to casue more damage, the best investment in my tool box and when the broken screw come out, the best feeling in ur life, lol.  

https://www.thegrabitstore.com/collections/grabit-micro/products/alden-4507p-grabit-micro-broken-bolt-extractor-4-piece-kit

• 3 months later...
On 10/10/2023 at 11:48 PM, racerkan said:

It happened once on my INFINITY open gun, just heat it up with small propane lighter and reverse drill it out with this US made extractor, don't use those cheap HF or home depot stuff, going to casue more damage, the best investment in my tool box and when the broken screw come out, the best feeling in ur life, lol.  

https://www.thegrabitstore.com/collections/grabit-micro/products/alden-4507p-grabit-micro-broken-bolt-extractor-4-piece-kit

“The bed feeling in ur life” that really is true. I’ve never felt more relieved or accomplished than when removing a broken screw. I’ve had good luck with Hanson extractors and second the quality tools remark. If it’s broken off flush I’d send it to a smith. I’m pretty good at screwing stuff up and that wouldn’t be fun to screw up.