Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One Shot Ignites in Case Feeder

IVC

2 hours ago, dannyd said:

That is true, but if you use a chemical fire extinguisher depending on the type you may to trash everything in the room and start again, especially in the kitchen.

That’s what I’m saying, Co2 is so much cleaner, as is halon (good luck getting that anymore). I’ve had to clean up chemical extinguishers before and it isn’t fun. 

1 hour ago, IVC said:

This has been on my mind and I can't really tell.

While "static electricity" seems like the obvious or only choice, I can't see it happening. The motor doesn't create sparks when operating normally, and it's not directly exposed to the bowl anyways. The brass is a conductor, so even if there was a way to collect some static charge and keep it while being moved into the feeder, it would discharge on contact, before I sprayed the One Shot. 

It was pretty hot that day and I did open the garage doors to cool it off, but we are talking about mid-80s at the time it ignited. And the floor is concrete, I was touching all sorts of metal shelf brackets and the press as I was setting up, never had anything remotely close to a spark over the years of use. 

But I also can't believe it was the new brass clinking together providing the ignition. Yet it's the only difference between 38SC and .40 that never had an issue using the same "protocol." The .40 brass is a range mix cleaned in dry tumbler so it's always "dirtyish." 

If anyone has any ideas, it would be great to explore and try to replicate it. Knowledge is the key here. 

Motors with brushes spark around the brushes when they run.

I do believe they are sealed but i am not sure.

My thought on the static is that it could build in the plastic bowl.

Maybe a small fan blowing over the brass after spraying could prevent this from happening. Ive never waited more than a minute or 2 after spraying.

This thread has me adding a CO2 extinguisher to my Wal-Mart list and it also will ensure that going forward I will spray my brass in my dedicated Tupperware plastic container outside of my reloading machine area.

More importantly - I will make DAM sure my powder hopper top is ALWAYS securing on.  

Cannot imagine what would have happened if the OP had had an extra large (taller) powder hopper that was full with the top off….. (maybe nothing but one never knows because reading this thread took me aback with pause)…..

ok... preventing that fire.

Pretty much any aerosol-can creates an air-fuel mix that will burn.

As an item of note, the propellant is often propane. (am not sure in this case.)

Source of sparks?  The only item involved that will absolutely spark is the

switch to stop and start the motor.  Other on and off 120 volt switches can.

Past that there is nothing easily tested to recreate the fire.

the motor has a fan so any air-fuel will get stirred.  Perhaps a static spark

started there. 

Mostly I can't see how the air-fuel got into the switch to start the flame.

The CO2 extinguisher is a good idea, be careful with it  in an enclosed room. 

Make sure you can get to fresh air.

It is a good lesson about why to keep lids on powder.

I use one-shot...  so I am thinking apply it outside.

yow.

miranda

On 8/9/2023 at 5:15 PM, dtuns said:

Motors with brushes spark around the brushes when they run.

The motor is an induction type. often used for box fans and small appliances.

They do not have brushes to spark  and while the coils can fail and spark, 

that problem usually causes to motor to stop.

miranda

I only apply One Shot or any other aerosol products outside.  Never what in your house may set them off.  Also careful with Electric devices and overhead lighting too.  Powder and primers are stored in wooden magazines make of 2 inch lumber. 

• 2 months later...

I have procrastinated on getting a fire extinguisher but now I’m going to, especially like the CO2 idea as I’ve dealt with cleaning up behind a standard fire extinguisher and I’d hate to think about my Dillon getting hosed with one.  Edited to add I prefer Dillon spray lube to One Shot but both are good.  

I do wonder if a fire like this is as exciting as setting off a full tube of primers?  A memorable occasion and not one I plan to repeat.  

Edited by 21 shooter

On 8/11/2023 at 4:13 PM, dannyd said:

I only apply One Shot or any other aerosol products outside.

As a kid we would sometimes use a cigarette lighter & Mom's hair spray to make a poor boy's flame thrower, not sure if one shot ignites as well, regardless, I think the key is not to spray a bunch into an enclosure near an ignition source. 

59 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

As a kid we would sometimes use a cigarette lighter & Mom's hair spray to make a poor boy's flame thrower, not sure if one shot ignites as well, regardless, I think the key is not to spray a bunch into an enclosure near an ignition source. 

Yep, every spray can in your house is a potential fire waiting to happen, so I store everything with that in mind. 

Fire marshal was talking to about smokeless powders, he explained how dangerous the powders were, then I explained it would take 4000 pounds of smokeless powder to equal the gasoline in two cars in a residential garage.

Being 10 gallons of gasoline = 1000 pounds of smokeless powder in latent explosive energy. Between the two vehicles 40 gallons of gasoline equals almost 4,000 pounds of powder.

Robert Rinker, Understanding Firearms Ballistics