Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 or 750??

I've been Jonesing around for a new loader so I can run a case feeder and auto index. I was thinking a used 650, but, what I've seen are 650's that aren't much cheaper than a new 750. I guess the 750 is a little heavier, but I'm not loading any rifle, so I don't think that's an issue, and a different primer system. Is the 750 any better than the 650? Would you just pony up a couple hundred bucks more for a new 750 over a used 650?

The priming system is definitely different. The 650 uses a rotating disc and the 750 a shuttle.  I find the disc is more reliable but a tad more dangerous. Another con to the 650 is if there is no case to accept a primer the primer is launched across the room( it slides down a "Ski Jump", I had replaced mine with a small bottle that collects unused primers. the 750s system uses a bent metal bar that guides the shuttle in and out. The pro to this is that its safer, you are less likely to have multiprimer detonation.You also only pickup a primer when there is a case to use the one thats on the shuttle. The con is the shuttle has to be kept clean or it will start to bind. Also the bar can lose its bend. This happens on the 550 as well.

The 750 has a little more height so it loads to a size or 2 larger. I load all rifle save 223 on 550 or single stage so this doesnt effect me.

All blue presses hold value very well. The used ones you see may also include extras. you can double the cost by adding all the accessories.

Thanks for that. I'm old, and I'd like to live out the rest of my life without experiencing a multiprimer detonation. The potential may be there, but the chances have to be very low. I do appreciate the explanation, and it makes the 750 a little more desirable. 

As for value, I've seen a couple that had extras, stuff that I would not buy, but they are set up for a different caliber, and it will cost 300 bucks to set up for 9mm, which is 80% of what I shoot, at that point I might as well buy a new 750. I've looked on Facebook, and I've seen pictures of the same press for sale by 3 different people, in 3 different cities. Be careful out there.

I have both and, I've had the 650 for 25 years or so and just got the 750 a couple years ago. And as m700 has said the primer system is different. I like the fact that the 750 doesn't drop primers if you cycle without brass but then I 3-D printed a flip to side cam for my 650 that allows me to turn off the primer feed too. I don't like where the primer feed is on the 750, out front and gets in the way of other things. I thought the 750 would work better for priming  because that was the claim but it really doesn't and that stupid rod keeps popping out.

I currently do more on the 650, brass processing, sizing and priming and just do loading with already primed brass on the 750.

I don't know what he's talking about with more height, they are identical in that respect.

My only other nit about the 750 is the casefeed is in the back so I lost the use of my cabinets behind it. I guess I could just the the 650 mount bar and feed tube though and fix that.

I have the 650, and have done some mods I read about online to make things nicer. One is a switch that disables the feeding of primers. The other is a switch that stops the feeding of cases onto the disk. I turn those two off, when I'm adjusting the load on my 650, when the cases and primers are all loaded.

I also did a mod that changed the plastic bar that causes the disk to turn, with a bar that has a wheel with bearings and things move easier. There is another mod for changing the ball and spring under the disk for smoother movement as well.

I haven't done it, but some people have added a tube and jar for the spent primers, as they can sometimes fall out of the little container.

Only nit is that once and a while a case will not feed correctly from the auto feeder I have, and will get caught in the tube right at the funnel, before the shutoff switch, and it will keep trying to dispense cases, out onto the floor. Happens pretty rarely, but I jsut keep an eye on the cases as they load up.

Overall, I'm very happy with the 650.

On 7/25/2023 at 4:42 PM, reddirt said:

Would you just pony up a couple hundred bucks more for a new 750 over a used 650?

I've owned both and without a doubt I would get the 750. Why?

1. Primer feed better (yes I had a kaboom with my 650).
  2. If one buys the Armanov bearing block the primer seating depth is adjustable. https://www.armanov.com/shop/ibslxl750-index-bearing-cam-block-spring-loaded-for-dillon-xl750-668?category=63#attr=
  3. While the 650 and 750 have a lot of interchangeable parts buying the latest version helps with support and after market products.

The first two are what makes the 750 a better choice.

On 7/28/2023 at 1:07 PM, sharko said:

I have both and, I've had the 650 for 25 years or so and just got the 750 a couple years ago. And as m700 has said the primer system is different. I like the fact that the 750 doesn't drop primers if you cycle without brass but then I 3-D printed a flip to side cam for my 650 that allows me to turn off the primer feed too. I don't like where the primer feed is on the 750, out front and gets in the way of other things. I thought the 750 would work better for priming  because that was the claim but it really doesn't and that stupid rod keeps popping out.

I currently do more on the 650, brass processing, sizing and priming and just do loading with already primed brass on the 750.

I don't know what he's talking about with more height, they are identical in that respect.

My only other nit about the 750 is the casefeed is in the back so I lost the use of my cabinets behind it. I guess I could just the the 650 mount bar and feed tube though and fix that.

Maybe im thinking of the 1050/650 difference on that

Hesed’s comments caught my attention..  I have two 650’s and two 1100’s and have never considered buying a 750. In fact I picked up my second 650 (NIB) after the 750’s had been on the market for over a year because I really like the system and have never had a primer issue or detonation in 20 years of loading…..

I might have to pick up a 750 in the future and give it a spin…..Thanks Hesed for your detailed comments…..

Edited by Sigarmsp226
Spelling

The 650/750 comparison is a Ford/Chevy  Canon/Nikon kind of thing. I prefer the disc primer system myself and have only 25,000 incident free reloads so far on the 650. I had too many issues with metal to plastic alignment on the 550 shuttle system. 

I preferer the disc primer system on my 650. I've never experienced a detonation but I've heard and seen that they can happen. I keep my press super clean and it rewards me with near flawless operation, although nothing's perfect. I have never done any of the mods because I don't find them to be necessary. Do I get the occasion primer down the "ski jump", sure, but that's around 1-3 per 2-3K. I stop most issues from occurring by loading with a medium-fast rhythm and watching the case drop where most problems start.

Edited by 4n2t0

17 minutes ago, 4n2t0 said:

I preferer the disc primer system on my 650. I've never experienced a detonation but I've heard and seen that they can happen. I keep my press super clean and it rewards me with near flawless operation, although nothing's perfect. I have never done any of the mods because I don't find them to be necessary. Do I get the occasion primer down the "ski jump", sure, but that's around 1-3 per 2-3K. I stop most issues from occurring by loading with a medium-fast rhythm and watching the case drop where most problems start.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272968060181?hash=item3f8e2a0d15:g:gI0AAOSwNSxU3qak&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4JWaMl6YPIY9Ty%2BwywDpAIa06m6N3MHjKWEhmHii6SdVxSVZgjMqd2fTVc1fQe7ZjqYweczWSQI4LjaxHLHP%2B42iFaIiAyP44cTWlcC7jJTTOVrkYVcinMV%2F2G4xUZELVfWNuNg5ytndsjFNGnolHl65To2UMm%2BEinm4KbRQRE2XNgmdkyw8sF9%2FuHJCth93t4DBZcLz5QR8yDuQbhvz31iR%2FW%2B1C7SHFq5n4jZneI7y4NkH3CPhkxdB2agUr4%2B4k1g%2Fxnpk0PZgq7vX53R2cLwWOrrZwhAvX1Yt1%2FuXJg48|tkp%3ABk9SR4Cs_Km7Yg

Get one of those. It will save you those 3 primers. It made it so clearing the plate was never an issue. if I ran out of brass/finished a run/ had a bad deprime/ whatever the case I could just clear the plate and not worry about a few primers dropping. 

On 8/9/2023 at 10:10 AM, m700 said:

Thanks but I don't need it because the primers rarely leave the ski jump. I meant that sometimes things don't go perfectly (crimped primers, missing/poorly placed case etc.) and I get a few unused primers in the ski jump. Also, it probably wouldn't be all that hard to drill a hole into the original OEM part and come up with something to capture/contain the primers for pennies.

• 3 weeks later...