Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How deep should a primer be seated

RangerTrace

25 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Anyway Dillon 1050, federal spp, I have adjusted depth to the point where I deform the primer on some range brass and on other mixed headstamp brass just drive it deep, for the wheel gun it is all the same brass so the dimple is consistent. 

One of these years I need to get a 1050/1100. Adjustable priming depth sounds nice, and is also probably a lot easier on the shoulder than primer seating on the 750.

42 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

One of these years I need to get a 1050/1100. Adjustable priming depth sounds nice, and is also probably a lot easier on the shoulder than primer seating on the 750.

When I first got into reloading I was surprised to find out that primer depth was not adjustable on a 650.

It is one of the things I really appreciate about the 1100.

17 minutes ago, ddc said:

When I first got into reloading I was surprised to find out that primer depth was not adjustable on a 650.

It is one of the things I really appreciate about the 1100.

Its true that its nice to be able to control it. The downside is that it can be wrong. The 650 always gave me good depth. The 1100 has been fine for 5k so far for me but took a few minutes in the beginning to set. It does seem to hold very well.

2 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

Adjustable priming depth sounds nice, and is also probably a lot easier on the shoulder than primer seating on the 750.

The 750 primer depth can be adjusted, get this:

https://www.armanov.com/shop/ibslxl750-index-bearing-cam-block-spring-loaded-for-dillon-xl750-668?category=63#attr=

Years ago when I had a 650 I adjusted the depth by shimming the stop under the primer punch.