Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is 3 gun dying in your area?

We have lost a couple of the monthly local matches here in DFW - one range (ETTS) has grown so exponentially since 2020 that they really don't have the capacity to cater to the non-match shooting range attendees and still get a match on the ground every month, and the other range (Triple C - former host of some of the larger national matches like Vortex) was closed by the land owner. But, the remaining local match (TDSA Range) has grown significantly since 2020. We now fill our 48 shooter signup and typically have a waitlist. This might be because of the lack of other matches, but we have seen it grow and have seen a large number of new shooters coming to shoot - so I think the desire for these matches is still there, it's just a challenge to actually get them put together or find a range to run one. 

i'm glad i got to shoot at triple c before it got closed down, vortex was fun. 

up here in NH there's very little of it now. it's what i used to prioritize for matches, be it in NH RI, MA or ME.  RI recently passed horrid laws, MA looks to be trying to as well but there weren't many to start, and the M# one doesn't do it anymore. there's one practically up in canada in VT but that's a real long drive for me, and the NH matches are either gone or half the schedule has converted to 2gun action challenge type.

maybe i'm just getting old as i used to make fun of the guys complaining about the volume of gear.... but it IS a LOT!  i use one small range bag for uspsa even lvl3 matches. plus i haven't seen the ability to replace my shotgun ammo with any certainty since covid insanity started.

3 hours ago, DavidSeavey said:

i'm glad i got to shoot at triple c before it got closed down, vortex was fun. 

up here in NH there's very little of it now. it's what i used to prioritize for matches, be it in NH RI, MA or ME.  RI recently passed horrid laws, MA looks to be trying to as well but there weren't many to start, and the M# one doesn't do it anymore. there's one practically up in canada in VT but that's a real long drive for me, and the NH matches are either gone or half the schedule has converted to 2gun action challenge type.

maybe i'm just getting old as i used to make fun of the guys complaining about the volume of gear.... but it IS a LOT!  i use one small range bag for uspsa even lvl3 matches. plus i haven't seen the ability to replace my shotgun ammo with any certainty since covid insanity started.

RI blows.  Really bummed me out when that sht passed.

I think its mainly regional. Here in the southeast, usually every Saturday within a two hour drive you can find a 3 gun match. My home range, The Clinton House, has hosted about 3 or 4 majors the last couple of years. As far as Tripple C goes, the Vortex/Shooters Source match was as good as it gets. Miss those matches.

The close matches to me have all shut down.  All the matches here are 1.5-2 hour drives now...makes for a pretty long day, or having to stay in a hotel and make a whole weekend out of it.  Seems to me more enthusiasm locally for tactical 2gun type matches with less of a drive now.

Definitely less in my area now. Down to one and it's hopefully ever quarter instead of every month. I think match direct and burnout and lack of ammo are the biggest factors. No new laws here to affect anything. 

After burning out on three gun myself for several years, now that I'm back to shooting it, it's at a much reduced rate. Maybe that's a plus for me though as it keeps it fun and interesting, and takes the slog out of it a little bit

• 4 weeks later...

Participation is down from what I can tell in SEPA, the best match in the area the amazing match director had a tough health issue which I think has effected the match. No big matches this year in the area, no point series. Used to be these matches would fill up quick, now it seems while they're still well attended it's not like it once was where if you didn't sign up day one you were waitlisted. This is a great area for 3gun though, if you wanted I think you could shoot a match every week, there's 5 clubs running matches, 4 of them every month. I don't know where the game is going but I think much of the slump could be blamed on covid ammo prices. if you forced me to bet I would expect more interest in the coming years as ammo prices near pre-covid levels.