Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Echelon: Have You Tried It?

Ohvall

I did the free ten round test fire of the new Springfield Echelon pistol last Saturday.  It seemed to me like an improved Glock 17: better grip shape, grip texture, trigger and optics mounting.  The modular design presents lots of options for customization but parts aren't available yet.

Is anyone else interested?

Coming from a glock, I'm very interested in one for all of the little improvements you've mentioned, but particularly for being able to easily customize the grips. Most of the other fcu style guns have a rather high bore axis or poor trigger, so this seems like a welcome alternative. Any idea how the trigger compares to a pdp or canik?

I don't think the striker is fully cocked when the slide cycles.  It's more of a Glock-style "safe action" where the movement of the trigger adds tension to the striker spring before releasing it.

That said, I'd rate the Echelon trigger I tried as better than the typical Glock offering.  There was a definite "sproing" at release when dry firing but it was easy to mange in live fire. 

• 3 weeks later...

The gun is probably too new for any of the usual aftermarket makers to be on board. I assume Icarus will make grip options. Maybe Wilson Combat as well. Norrso will probably make some slides.

Currently the only parts I've seen are from Apex. These include a heavy recoil spring guide rod and a reversible but not ambidextrous mag release. Apex is supposed to be looking at other stuff. Maybe a gunsmith fit barrel and most certainly some trigger stuff. 

Sights are supposed to be XD dovetail so plenty of options there for those not wanting to run a dot. 

I bought one pretty close to the release. I've put about 300-400 rounds through it and we're designing followers to get 24+1 in them.

For a stock polymer striker fired gun, it shoots really well. It tracks pretty much up and down, and the modularity of it is pretty cool but there obviously isn't a lot available for it. The trigger is very average, sitting somewhere between the Glock and M&P trigger. It definitely beats the stock P320 trigger though. I think if the price comes down to closer to $500 or high $400s, I would buy it over most polymer guns on the market today and it could have a real chance at becoming a very popular platform. 

Fits a P320 blade tech holster, and it uses XDM base pads. Currently using an Acro P2 with the springfield plate.

• 4 weeks later...

Bought one, impulse. I've ran about 300 rounds thru it, 250 factory, 50ish hand loads. I'm a glock guy, tried sig and M&P's, and others, but always drift back to a golck 17. Current number one gun is a Glock gen 5 17 MOS with around 50,000 rounds. That said I'm thinking of running the Springfield next year. Like the lower mount for optics, the stock trigger is not bad, it sits well in the hand, like the grip texture. Looking forward to what the after market will bring out for it. All and all it is a glock 17 for those that don't like Glock, and don't like Sig 320 mush triggers. 

my hand doesnt agree with glock grips - myfiring hand fingers poke into my support hand palm in a painful way....using all backstraps

im thinking about switching to the echelon as well.

i just am afraid to make the jump unless someone can confirm if it is on track to be prod/co legal

10 minutes ago, floater said:

All they have to do is 500 and ask show it to Troy, why wouldn't Springfield make sure it gets on the list.

Who knows, Troy might lash out and threaten to ban them as a match sponsor forever 😂 

21 hours ago, dsmarty386 said:

yeah i could def see that lolol

i didnt look hard enough to see the hellcat on there lol

so its likely itll make the list then it seems

As long as Springfield keeps the grip zone off it we should be good😄

23 hours ago, dsmarty386 said:

i had to look up what this was but it looks......just terrible lol

Yes, Yes it was. I'll be honest other than a 1911 I got in 1999 I have had no use for Springfield, always hated the XD line, but I will say that the hell cat and the Echelon have some good stuff going for them, HS Produkt has put together a nice package. We will just have to see how it pans out.

44 minutes ago, floater said:

Yes, Yes it was. I'll be honest other than a 1911 I got in 1999 I have had no use for Springfield, always hated the XD line, but I will say that the hell cat and the Echelon have some good stuff going for them, HS Produkt has put together a nice package. We will just have to see how it pans out.

i never shot an XD but something about them just seemed unsavory to me lol

i did buy a prodigy and have been happy with it (after upgrades)

seems like the hellcat and echelon are wins but like you im curious how they do after the new excitement wears off

On 9/14/2023 at 8:49 PM, dsmarty386 said:

i never shot an XD but something about them just seemed unsavory to me lol

i did buy a prodigy and have been happy with it (after upgrades)

seems like the hellcat and echelon are wins but like you im curious how they do after the new excitement wears off

I have the 4.25 prodigy and have been happy so far, my only issue has been with the Atlas too less guide rod locking up now and than. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/4/2023 at 9:59 AM, perttime said:

Any new experiences with the Echelon?

Some are curious about it in my corner of the world, and it is available for less than the BUL take on a glock and way less than a Zev.

I really haven't had a chance  to put to many rounds thru it yet. So far no issues.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's a great striker pistol.  Got close the 1000 rounds through mine.  The last 200 rounds was with the new PRP trigger kit.  Really like the gun with that trigger.  Has a steel guide rod, Springer Precision extended mag w/ mbx spring and followers which gives me 24 reloadable, and Holosun 507 comp.

If I ever get away from Open and LO, it would be my CO gun

I hope someone will make a tungsten or steel grip.  Outside of that i think the set up i have is near perfect for me

The Echelon really is a game changer!  Enough to get my attention after shooting two Glock 17 Gen 4 MOS pistols (one primary and one backup) for about the last seven years in USPSA CO, ever since CO was just a provisional division.

So, I've been playing with and modifying my Glocks in almost every way trying to customize them to fit me and perform as competition pistols.  I love my Glocks, but really wished for something with a better trigger design and better frame ergonomics.  I bought an Echelon and have been shooting it now for the past few months and have a couple thousand rounds and a few matches under my belt.  I put a PRP trigger in it and It has met and exceeded my expectations for a striker fired pistol.  I hope we see more parts and after market support to make it even better!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2024 at 1:45 AM, ShredderTactical said:

The Echelon really is a game changer!  Enough to get my attention after shooting two Glock 17 Gen 4 MOS pistols (one primary and one backup) for about the last seven years in USPSA CO, ever since CO was just a provisional division.

So, I've been playing with and modifying my Glocks in almost every way trying to customize them to fit me and perform as competition pistols.  I love my Glocks, but really wished for something with a better trigger design and better frame ergonomics.  I bought an Echelon and have been shooting it now for the past few months and have a couple thousand rounds and a few matches under my belt.  I put a PRP trigger in it and It has met and exceeded my expectations for a striker fired pistol.  I hope we see more parts and after market support to make it even better!

I've got the PRP spring kit in mine, and an Apex guide rod. I've been the happiest with the Echelon and the M&P metal when it comes to Striker Fired guns. I'd be really excited if someone came out with an aluminum or steel grip module for these...