Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holosun 507 comp vs SRO quick comparison.

TheChef1

Just going to copy and paste my thoughts I posted on Reddit. Seems like it’s at least as good as an SRO I’d definitely save the money and buy the Holosun if you don’t have an optic but I don’t think I’ll be selling my SROs and replacing them with these. Maybe time will change that. 

Got the Holosun yesterday and put it on one of my plastic rivals. I’ll try to zero it today and shoot it in a match tomorrow. 

First thoughts:

The window is nice and big. I dont see myself losing the dot at all but then again I don’t usually even with smaller dot windows. They square may be nice than the SRO but I don’t think the difference will be noticeable.

This thing is bright. Full brightness hurts my eyes. Even outside in the Florida sun it’s so bright it’s like pointing a laser pointer in you’re eyes. Definitely brighter than the SRO but the SRO has never not been bright enough for me. 

Reticles are cool. The different reticles are cool but I’d still just rather have a single big dot. They should definitely come out with a 407 variant that’s cheaper and just has a 6 moa dot. I’d run that over the current variant. With the 2 moa dot and 8 moa ring it looks basically just like an 8 moa dot so that’s likely what lll run. If you use the 20 moa ring and dot you could probably use the ring for really close targets and the dot for farther shots but I’m not sure how well it would work. 

First thoughts are if you don’t have a dot and are considering this or and SRO/Max/DPP I would definitely save the money and go Holosun. If you already have and like one of the other top dots I don’t know it’s worth switching but maybe I’ll change my mind. All in all it seems to be a nice dot.

https://imgur.com/a/jV36xgi photos here. 

2 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

Same footprint as the SRO? I have 3 SRO’s but I’d like to try a green one. Especially if they eventually come out with just a 6 or better yet 8 MOA version.

Yup same footprint. If you like 8 moa I’d definitely say go for it. The 2 moa dot with 8 moa ring basically looks like 8 moa. 

Shot it in an action steel match today. They really f*#ked yo with the reticles. They are all too busy. Best option is the 2 moa with 8 moa ring but it’s still a little too big and busy for me. I was missing steel much more than usual. Switched to my gun with the SRO on it and s#!t way better. I’ll stick with the SROs for competition now and throw this on a defensive gun. 

It’s good but the SRO is still king imo.

2 hours ago, TheChef1 said:

Shot it in an action steel match today. They really f*#ked yo with the reticles. They are all too busy. Best option is the 2 moa with 8 moa ring but it’s still a little too big and busy for me. I was missing steel much more than usual. Switched to my gun with the SRO on it and s#!t way better. I’ll stick with the SROs for competition now and throw this on a defensive gun. 

So there's not a dot only option? I thought there was... that's a big miss if not! The only place I have found that I like a dot and ring is on my shotgun so I don't have to "aim" as much on close steel and flying clays. 

I'll be a little disappointed if there isn't a dot only option, I've been really wanting to try one of these. 

1 hour ago, bulldog009 said:

So there's not a dot only option? I thought there was... that's a big miss if not! The only place I have found that I like a dot and ring is on my shotgun so I don't have to "aim" as much on close steel and flying clays. 

I'll be a little disappointed if there isn't a dot only option, I've been really wanting to try one of these. 

There is, it's only 2 MOA though. I'm hoping they come out with a green 407 Comp with a 6 MOA reticle and I'll consider switching from my SRO's. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

4 hours ago, bulldog009 said:

yeah only center dot is 2 moa. I asked holosun at SHOT show and they said "all the competitors we talked to said thats what they wanted" and im like....NO lol...and they just shrugged.

They didn't want to do a bigger 6-8 MOA dot.

23 minutes ago, mrvip27 said:

yeah only center dot is 2 moa. I asked holosun at SHOT show and they said "all the competitors we talked to said thats what they wanted" and im like....NO lol...and they just shrugged.

I have to use a small dot - I have an astigmatism so it blows the dot out a lot larger than its actual size. I appreciate when they offer a small size, like a 2 moa, but it is odd that they don't offer something larger as another option. 

5 minutes ago, Cuz said:

I thought the circle was 32moa???

what model has an 8moa circle?

The 507comp has a 2 moa dot, and 8moa, 20 moa and 32 moa circles you can choose. All in the same optic

297cdee4be05357461db4f5f062cdccb.png

Edited by Blackstone45

22 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

The 507comp has a 2 moa dot, and 8moa, 20 moa and 32 moa circles you can choose. All in the same optic

297cdee4be05357461db4f5f062cdccb.png

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of this one. 
Although, I think it needs a bigger center dot. 

On 6/18/2023 at 2:15 PM, TheChef1 said:

Interesting that you had that experience with the reticles. To my eyes the 2 MOA dot + 8 MOA ring really looks like an almost solid 8 MOA dot at speed, but that may be due to my astigmatism blurring them together. I'm also a fan of just the 8 MOA dot by itself like the 407CO used to have, but that could also be because it appears sharper to my eyes than a solid 8 MOA dot because of my astigmatism.

4 hours ago, RennBaer said:

Interesting that you had that experience with the reticles. To my eyes the 2 MOA dot + 8 MOA ring really looks like an almost solid 8 MOA dot at speed, but that may be due to my astigmatism blurring them together. I'm also a fan of just the 8 MOA dot by itself like the 407CO used to have, but that could also be because it appears sharper to my eyes than a solid 8 MOA dot because of my astigmatism.

Agree 100%. Just shot my P10-F at a match for the first time last night with a 407CO on it. Really dig that reticle. 

On 6/18/2023 at 4:21 PM, bulldog009 said:

There is but it’s only 2 moa. That’s too small imo. I’d say the reticle is a pretty big miss. To much unnecessary crap when we all just want a good crisp 5-6 moa dot.

On 6/18/2023 at 8:49 PM, mrvip27 said:

Yeah I’m not sure who they asked but they definitely weren’t asking uspsa shooters.

On 6/18/2023 at 9:14 PM, bulldog009 said:

I have to use a small dot - I have an astigmatism so it blows the dot out a lot larger than its actual size. I appreciate when they offer a small size, like a 2 moa, but it is odd that they don't offer something larger as another option. 

It would be great for you then. 

On 6/19/2023 at 5:57 AM, Blackstone45 said:

Is it possible to just have the 8 moa circle? I know they offer many different combinations of reticles that you can switch between

Yes that’s possible.

8 hours ago, RennBaer said:

Which one is the 407co?