Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX Extreme springs and followers?

HOGRIDER

Wanted to offer an update:

FINALLY got to talk with a very nice guy from MBX Customer Service, and it seems there is an actual updated "follower" that allows "24 easily reloadable rounds" right out of the package!  If anyone wants to take a look at the specific mag and/or followers and/or springs, this is THE LINK:

https://mbxextreme.com/index.php?page=Magazines_Optic_2011#!/~/

According to the CSR, they use the same tube and spring as the "Ultra Max" offering; only the follower is different.  The follower will be stamped/designated with X in stead of 9S.

The exact description in my order:

REPLACEMENT SPRINGS FOLLOWERS for- 140mm CARRY OPTIC Competition MBX 1911∕2011 Magazines

SKU : F-CO2011 ->F-S9X IN103 BG36

- MBX NEWLY DESIGNED SPRING & FOLLOWER FOR MBX 2011/1911 TUBES: Follower ONLY $9.95

- MBX NEW FOLLOWER MUST BE USED WITH MBX SPRING: DESIGNED TO WORK TOGETHER

The tubes also have the standard 3 witness holes for 10, 15, and 23 rounds.  And as discussed, the upper half of the "24th" round is visible in the 23 round hole.

I went ahead and ordered a few of the CO followers and will report back if they are the easy fix...........

HTHs!

Edited by HOGRIDER
update

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/29/2023 at 8:12 AM, HOGRIDER said:

Wanted to offer an update:

FINALLY got to talk with a very nice guy from MBX Customer Service, and it seems there is an actual updated "follower" that allows "24 easily reloadable rounds" right out of the package!  If anyone wants to take a look at the specific mag and/or followers and/or springs, this is THE LINK:

According to the CSR, they use the same tube and spring as the "Ultra Max" offering; only the follower is different.  The follower will be stamped/designated with X in stead of 9S.

The exact description in my order:

The tubes also have the standard 3 witness holes for 10, 15, and 23 rounds.  And as discussed, the upper half of the "24th" round is visible in the 23 round hole.

I went ahead and ordered a few of the CO followers and will report back if they are the easy fix...........

HTHs!

That’s interesting. I purchased some 141mm mags from MBX, loaded them to 24 pretty easy, let them sit for a couple days, they function with 24 no problem. My followers say 9S.

12 hours ago, Rich406 said:

That’s interesting. I purchased some 141mm mags from MBX, loaded them to 24 pretty easy, let them sit for a couple days, they function with 24 no problem. My followers say 9S.

@Rich406

I got some of the LCO (Limited Carry Optics) followers in, and they appear to be identical to the Ultra Max followers I already have in 4 mags.

ALL my OEM mags including the one ordered straight from MBX had the 9S followers!  Early on I thought I would need to use the Ultra Max springs/followers to successfully load 24 and have enough "give" in that top round to have the mag engage the catch positively.  So, I decided to get 4 UM springs/followers and put them in my 4 primary mags.  At first, 23 would go easy but not 24.  Then after being loaded with 23 for a week or so, I was able to get 24.  But they would not allow the mag catch to engage.  After sitting for almost 2 weeks with 24, I was actually starting to get the mag to insert and engage the catch with firm but not over excessive pressure.

I then was able to "finally" talk with MBX CS, and was informed I needed, at minimum, the LCO (link above) followers to get that "easily reloadable 24 rounds".  So I ordered enough new LCO followers for ALL my LO mags so there would be no question.  Right after that follower order, I was offered to "exchange" 3 9S springs/followers from 3 new, unused mags for 3 of the LCO complete springs/followers.  Sent mine out and should have the 3 springs & follower combos by next Wednesday.

As of today, it appears the LCO followers I ordered/received are the Ultra Max followers; I won't know "for sure" if the springs are the same until I get those LCO spring & follower combos in mid-next week.

I'm still seeking/looking for that "easily reloadable 24 rounds" right out of the package as @davsco shared with me early in this thread!!  Have not tried to load 24 with the 9S followers that came OEM in my mags as I, due to my unfamiliarity with MBX, felt certain they were strictly 23 rounds only.

Once I get the LCO springs & followers in, I'll be able to directly compare the followers, spring lengths, and spring diameters with the 4 Ultra Max springs that are currently in my mags.  I also still have 4 brand new OEM 9S springs & followers from my original mags.

Here's a pic of the 9S follower and the Ultra Max follower with the small, hard to see "X" on the left rear of the follower:

Thanks for your feedback!

🤔

9S Follower.png

Ultra Max Follower Rear 1.png

Edited by HOGRIDER
update

I'm guessing those followers are 3D printed? They sure look rather crude compared to the more typical factory followers.

If that is true then I'm wondering if the variation in what people are experiencing could be due to variations in the followers due to the 3D printing?

I'm just throwing this out as a question as much as anything; don't really have a clue about what could be going on here.

Edited to add: I will say that after picking up some supposed 24 round spring/followers from Rune and MBX for Sig P320 mags that I am less than impressed.

Edited by ddc

@ddc

IMO, the followers are definitely 3-D printed; but I haven't actually measured some of the several I received to see if there's any thickness differences that could affect operation.

I will wait until I receive the actual LCO spring/follower sets for final comments.  I plan to compare spring lengths AND spring thicknesses; in hopes of determining if there's actually a component combination that allows the claimed "easily reloadable 24 rounds".....

But noticing this statement on the product listing still has me a bit confused:

THE NEWLY DESIGNED 1911/2011 LIMITED CARRY OPTIC PACKAGE, HOLDS A EASILY RELOADABLE 24 ROUNDS AND FEATURES OUR NEW ULTRA MAX SPRING & FOLLOWER

If these new LCO packages are just the standard 2011 tube with the Ultra Max spring/follower kit, then I already have 4 of these and they ARE NOT "easily reloadable 24 rounds" right out of the package.  I have these:

https://benstoegerproshop.com/mbx-ultra-max-spring-follower-for-2011-double-stack-1911/

Remaining cautiously optimistic............

🤔

15 minutes ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

Only thing that could be different is the thickness of the follower right ?

or it could be how the spring stacks up I guess. 

As of today, I've got 4 of the 2011/141.25 magazines that I previously setup with the "Ultra Max" springs and followers upgrade from BSPS.  The mags originally came with the standard "9S" spring/follower combo.  Mag tubes and base pads are identical to this latest Limited Carry Optics offering.

Received 7 of the LCO followers yesterday, and they appear identical to the Ultra Max followers I already have in length, width, and thickness.  And they have the small "X" on the left rear of the follower.

Also did an exchange on 3 brand new 9S spring and follower sets for the new "LCO" sets, and should have those tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.  Once I get these then I can compare the spring OAL and exact thickness to the Ultra Max sets I'm already using.

Unless these new springs have a different (shorter) OAL, or they are smaller in wire diameter, I can't figure how they would stack any differently and therefore allow that advertised " easily reloadable 24 rounds" as I noted above.....

Hopefully I know the answer in the next few day........

👍

It does seem that those that can get 24 in have let the spring settle and sink. 
if the tubes are the same and the follower is the same height, the spring is the only thing it can be 

have you ever pulled the guts out and put the pad back on and put 24 in the tube and see how much room is at the top. 
it will let you know if its even possible and if so how much room the follower and spring need to fit into. 
just something to try for info purposes 

Edited by Superkaratemonkeyfighter

When I upgraded to the Ultra Max springs/followers, I was under the impression this was the path for 24 reloadable.  After sitting for a week with 23 TIGHT rounds I was then able to barely get in 24.  No way the top round would give enough, with the slide forward, to engage the mag catch lock.  Then after just under 2 weeks loaded with 24, I was seeing some "give" on the top rounds of a couple of those 4 mags; and was able to get those two mags to insert and engage the catch with firm but not over excessive pressure.  I'm sure after some more time the springs would take set on all 4 and be fully functional.

I'm still hoping to find that combo, like @davsco and @Rich406and get that easy reloadable 24 rounds "right out of the box"..........

have you ever pulled the guts out and put the pad back on and put 24 in the tube and see how much room is at the top. 

Hope to test this procedure once I receive the "official" LCO springs and followers.

😉

4 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

I'm still hoping to find that combo, like @davsco and @Rich406and get that easy reloadable 24 rounds "right out of the box"..........

Hope to test this procedure once I receive the "official" LCO springs and followers.

😉

To clarify. Although mine function reliably with 24. I wouldn’t reload to one loaded to 24. It’s pretty tight. I’m using them as a starting mag only. 

3 hours ago, Rich406 said:

To clarify. Although mine function reliably with 24. I wouldn’t reload to one loaded to 24. It’s pretty tight. I’m using them as a starting mag only. 

I understand; and so far have experienced the same all but impossible to reload the gun with a mag filled with 24 rounds!

Guess my goal, whether it proves useful or not, is to start a stage with 24+1 in the pistol; if I feel the stage is optimized for it.  So, I'm taking the statement on the MBX website to mean that I can easily reload a mag to 24 rounds using an UpLula; and I can easily reload my pistol, with the slide forward, using one of these mags that's already loaded to 24 rounds:

THE NEWLY DESIGNED 1911/2011 LIMITED CARRY OPTIC PACKAGE, HOLDS A EASILY RELOADABLE 24 ROUNDS

If I'm totally missing the objective of this statement, I would gladly appreciate some insight and understanding from those that are much, much, more experienced with MBX mags than myself!

🤔

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

I understand; and so far have experienced the same all but impossible to reload the gun with a mag filled with 24 rounds!

Guess my goal, whether it proves useful or not, is to start a stage with 24+1 in the pistol; if I feel the stage is optimized for it.  So, I'm taking the statement on the MBX website to mean that I can easily reload a mag to 24 rounds using an UpLula; and I can easily reload my pistol, with the slide forward, using one of these mags that's already loaded to 24 rounds:

If I'm totally missing the objective of this statement, I would gladly appreciate some insight and understanding from those that are much, much, more experienced with MBX mags than myself!

🤔

There may be some ambiguity there...

When people talk about "x number of rounds reloadable" I take it to mean they can have x rounds in the mag and the mag can be inserted with relative ease against a closed slide as would typically happen during a mag change as you moved through your course of fire.

The way that MBX statement is made you could argue they are not saying that but are instead just saying you can easily stick 24 rounds into the mag without undue effort. 

Upon first reading their words I jumped to the first interpretation but after re-reading I'm not sure.

Edited by ddc

10 hours ago, ddc said:

There may be some ambiguity there...

When people talk about "x number of rounds reloadable" I take it to mean they can have x rounds in the mag and the mag can be inserted with relative ease against a closed slide as would typically happen during a mag change as you moved through your course of fire.

The way that MBX statement is made you could argue they are not saying that but are instead just saying you can easily stick 24 rounds into the mag without undue effort. 

Upon first reading their words I jumped to the first interpretation but after re-reading I'm not sure.

Excellent point!  Glad to hear I'm not the only one unsure about their statement.

Thanks for your feedback @ddc!

👍

15 hours ago, ddc said:

@ddc  After receiving these new LCO Package spring/follower sets, I have concluded they can immediately be loaded with 24 rounds "IF" one follows the procedure as outlined in this video from their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/mbxextreme/videos/753543363059930

However, the mag loaded with 24 CANNOT be inserted far enough into "my" LO pistol to engage the mag release locking mechanism!  This is with the SLIDE FORWARD.  That top, 24th round, simply won't compress any further once it contacts the slide!!!

FWIW, here's the packaging I received today:

LCO Exchange.png

ALL:

This is straight from MBX:

The statement about the 24 rounds holds true with the aspect of how many rounds the mag can hold. The other aspect you mentioned is will the mag engage with the full loadout of 24 rounds. It has been demonstrated as you can see in the video with Efren however, not all guns are created equally which might cause differences in the difficulty when inserting the mag with the slide closed.  Also keep in mind that the spring will settle overtime allowing an easier loadout and mag insertion.

At this point, I think the latest LCO (Ultra Max) springs and followers will allow 24 rounds to be load when using the UpLula.  And if shooters want to have the option to have a 24+1 start for a specific Stage, then that/those mags will need to sit for a while loaded with 24 as @zzt and others have recommended.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to the thread!

👍👍

I have an MBX 170MM magazine and for a long time, I would only load 28 in the tube for reloads, and could squeeze in a 29th round and the final witness hole in the tube, you would see about half of the round. So, I _know_ that the tube could go to 30 rounds total, but I never tried to force it.

After seeing others be able to fit 30 rounds comfortably, I decided to give it a try at home. I got a fresh spring and follower and used my UpLula to load the magazine. On the 29th round, I then decide d to really fight to get the 30th and was able to successfully load it, with the round now fully in the middle of the final witness hole. It will not insert into my Infinity and lock, however. Also, the round right below the last round loaded gets a bit of a dent in the case from the force.

So, the spring has definitely been conditioned by really forcing that 30th round, because I think I now have 29 reloadable with no issue.

I think I will probably do what @zzt and others have recommended and load it to 30 and leave it for a bit, or keep loading it to 30 over a couple of sessions to get the spring to settle in enough where it will finally allow 30 and insert and lock into the gun.

Edited by sc68cal

2 hours ago, sc68cal said:

I think I will probably do what @zzt and others have recommended and load it to 30 and leave it for a bit or keep loading it to 30 over a couple of sessions to get the spring to settle in enough where it will finally allow 30 and insert and lock into the gun.

I recommended loading 29 and letting it sit, so it reloads easily.  Although I can cram the 30th in if I try hard enough, there is no way I would load 30.  First, it will drastically reduce the life of your spring.  Second, I think you will eventually get a failure to feed on the last round.

31 minutes ago, Juggernaut said:

I ordered mine me with some other items from DAA. My invoice says I have “Stealth” followers, which I cannot find on the MBX website. These are listed as full 24 round magazines. Very dissatisfied with this product.  

Not sure what magazine tube you ordered these for, or if you ordered the entire magazine as these appear to be dedicated for STI Tubes:

https://mbxextreme.com/index.php?page=STIFollowers

Individual components or complete mags for MBX's Limited Carry Optics (24 round) offering need to be ordered through this link:

👍

Took them apart and they are the 9S followers.  Is there a better follower? I can get 23+1, but would like to get the full 24.  Unloading and reloading the mags during the day and pushing them up and down with the Uplula to get it to seat better.  I can load 24 in a mag and load it with the slide back and then release the slide to start. It is a hard push to get 23 round mag in, but it will fit.  

Really expected more out of these.  A little customer service would be nice!

8 minutes ago, Juggernaut said:

Took them apart and they are the 9S followers.  Is there a better follower? I can get 23+1, but would like to get the full 24.  Unloading and reloading the mags during the day and pushing them up and down with the Uplula to get it to seat better.  I can load 24 in a mag and load it with the slide back and then release the slide to start. It is a hard push to get 23 round mag in, but it will fit.  

Really expected more out of these.  A little customer service would be nice!

If you need to get by as cheaply as possible, you can order just the Ultra Max/LCO followers.  Just expect to make a small adjustment to the angle of the spring where it attaches to the follower.  The 9S followers attach to the top coil just a bit differently.......

Or you can order the springs and followers from the link I posted above......

HTS.

5 minutes ago, Juggernaut said:

Is the UltraMax the secret to just a little bit more?  Are they the same springs or different?  Not worried about the cost, just want it to work!

As I stated above, I received 3 of the LCO 24 round springs and followers; and this was the packaging they were in.

I was able to load 24 rounds out of the package using the UpLula as shown in the FB video......

LCO Exchange.png