Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX Extreme springs and followers?

HOGRIDER

Anyone loading their LO mags to 24 rounds?  MBX states:

Our newly designed 140 DS1911/2011 magazines for Limited Optics holds an easily reloadable 24 rounds.

https://mbxextreme.com/index.php?page=Magazines_STI_141mm&fbclid=IwAR0_layktU_EdxyUZMG_zAO9FgpqE-fpL-Ge-mlsb5VxEgz-qS3y3duC8Ng

I've got the Extreme springs and follower in all mags, and after loading to 23 and leaving sit for a week, I can get 24 in with a mag loader; but experiencing hard insertion into the pistol since that top round won't "give/depress" a bit when contacting the stripper rail of the slide.......

Do I just need to load them up with 24 for several days?  After taking "set" will that allow the 24th round to still compress a bit?

Thanks for your feedback!

🤔

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It may take several weeks.  The only time I have not had to condition MBX springs is with their new +20% springs.  Surprisingly, they reached full capacity and were reloadable from the first try.

11 minutes ago, zzt said:

It may take several weeks.  The only time I have not had to condition MBX springs is with their new +20% springs.  Surprisingly, they reached full capacity and were reloadable from the first try.

@zzt Not sure this is their new "+20%" springs, but this is what I've got in my mags:

https://www.mbxextreme.com/index.php?page=Magazine_Parts_2011

https://benstoegerproshop.com/mbx-ultra-max-spring-follower-for-2011-double-stack-1911/

Thanks!

Just got 2 of the mbx 140 2011 mags last week and they hold 24 9mm somewhat comfortably, even at first time loading.  Not sure I could squeeze more than 23 in the older ones I have.

19 minutes ago, davsco said:

Just got 2 of the mbx 140 2011 mags last week and they hold 24 9mm somewhat comfortably, even at first time loading.  Not sure I could squeeze more than 23 in the older ones I have.

In the "More Information" section of the description on MBX's webpage, it states:

Allows for a wider Follower to improve stability that features Round location holes for 10 & 24 and Precision cut feed lips.

My (6)MBX mags have 3 holes on the rear which IIRC locate 10, 15, & 23 rounds......  

Do your 2 you reference above have 2 holes or 3?

Thanks!

MBX R.png

MBX S1.png

20 minutes ago, davsco said:

here you go, mbx 140 2011 9mm brand new mags holding 24 rounds

mbx24rounders.jpg

@davscoI appreciate your feedback!

I've got 4 of my mags loaded with 24 and sitting on the bench in hopes of the springs taking a further "set" and actually allowing that top round to compress just a little more.

And comparing your views, they appear identical to the views of mine posted above!  I can see in yours, which look identical to mine, there's "3" holes on the rear and that bottom hole is definitely not centered over the bottom round!  After rechecking all of mine during loading, the 3 holes will center over the 10th, 15th, and 23rd rounds!  So even though the MBX website "claims" there's round location holes for 10 and 24; I think that's a bit misleading..........

BTW:   I decided to order one just so I could directly compare the tube, spring, and follower to my existing mags.

Thanks again for your pics!

👍

To follow up........

The MBX mag I purchased directly showed up in todays mail.  FWIW, this is the one that MBX lists on their website as:

Proven High Performance Competition Ready Magazine for sti/sv & all 2011 Pistols.

- The MBX tube Features designed body contour running the full length of the magazine for Proven Improved Reliability and Performance.

- Allows for a wider Follower to improve stability that features Round location holes for 10 & 24 and Precision cut feed lips.

Optional: Ambidextrous for left handed shooters.

Taking the mag out of the package and comparing to my existing MBX mags, I found out as @davsco shared above, there are 3 holes on the rear and they DIRECTLY LINE UP with 10, 15, and 23 rounds!  If you eventually get 24 loaded you can see the upper base of the 24th round along with the lower base of the 23 round.

Visually inspecting the mag, the follower appears identical to my existing mags; but I did not disassemble the mag to compare spring lengths/type.  Immediately grabbed some loaded match ammo, and following MBX's procedures, attempted to load 24 rounds.  Got 23 rounds in and could not load the 24th round.  Of course this follows suit with my existing mags that will allow the 24th round to be loaded once they have sit for a week or so with 23 rounds loaded.  I am loading 124g PD JHPs.

In pic below, new mag is on the left and existing mag with 24 rounds is on the right.

Any insight into my confusion would be appreciated. 

MBX 24-1.png

yeah i can't get 24 into any of my prior mbx mags.  maybe if i threw them in a vise...  the new ones hold 24 almost easily right out of the bag.  i used both of the new ones, and of course the old ones, in my mpa ds9 at a 2 gun match yesterday and it all ran flawlessly.

26 minutes ago, davsco said:

yeah i can't get 24 into any of my prior mbx mags.  maybe if i threw them in a vise...  the new ones hold 24 almost easily right out of the bag.  i used both of the new ones, and of course the old ones, in my mpa ds9 at a 2 gun match yesterday and it all ran flawlessly.

Well, I'm at a loss for words right now as I don't know what could be different between yours and the one I just received; unless it's the spring!  I'll be home tomorrow evening, and plan on disassembling mine to see what the spring and follower look like.

I have sent a couple of emails, tried calling multiple times, and sent several messages on MBX's FB page and talking/chatting with someone at MBX is a NO GO!  I have no idea how to get some tech support from them!!!!!

As I mentioned, I received the same packaging as you in the mail on Saturday!  So, I'm totally confused at this time as to what might be different.

Thanks for your reply......

Ok:

I am wondering if there's a difference in these two magazines?

I ordered:  https://mbxextreme.com/index.php?page=Magazines_STI_141mm

HOWEVER, going back and looking closely at the MBX website I just noticed this link:

https://mbxextreme.com/index.php?page=Magazines_Optic_2011#!/~/

The one I ordered comes in identical packaging like @davsco showed in his post; but could there actually be a difference in the two mags being discussed in this thread? 

The first link (the one I ordered) states 141.25mm;  and also states in the More Information:

- Allows for a wider Follower to improve stability that features Round location holes for 10 & 24 and Precision cut feed lips.

Which I'm interpreting as being designed for 24 rounds since during the specific order selection there's a drop down that says "Please Choose" where I selected 9mm 24rd Competition!

Looking at my second link I show above, they point out specifically this is a:

MBX CARRY OPTIC 140mm 9mm Competition for 1911/2011

And:

THE NEWLY DESIGNED 1911/2011 LIMITED CARRY OPTIC PACKAGE, HOLDS A EASILY RELOADABLE 24 ROUNDS AND FEATURES OUR NEW ULTRA MAX SPRING & FOLLOWER

Please help me understand if these are indeed two different mags; and did I order the wrong one?

THANKS for any help/feedback!

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

Supporting my confusion:

When I click on the item link in my Order Confirmation, it takes me specifically here:

https://mbxextreme.com/index.php?page=Magazines_STI_141mm

And offers the drop down as shown in my first attached pic!  My second pic is a screen shot of my email order confirmation.

I'm done!  Thanks for looking and Happy Father's Day where applicable!

👍🤔😀

MBX 24-3.png

MBX 24-4.png

2 hours ago, davsco said:

gray (right/top) is the one i just got.  blue and black are ones i bought a while back, not necessarily in that order).

@davsco  One thing I notice from your pic.........the new "gray" based one has MBX /9mm on the side while the earlier purchased "blue & black" based ones both have MBX 38/9mm in the stampings.

I'm still working on discovering if there's a difference in the ones I have as they ALL have the same MBX /9mm on the sides as your new one!  And they all contain the new MBX Extreme springs/followers (no lock back)!  

Thanks again for your time and info!

👍

MBX 24-2.png

2 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

@davsco  One thing I notice from your pic.........the new "gray" based one has MBX /9mm on the side while the earlier purchased "blue & black" based ones both have MBX 38/9mm in the stampings.

yeah i'm not sure why they dropped the "38" on the new mags.  i asked them (because i also have 170's for my open gun) and they said they still work for 38 super.

On 6/13/2023 at 1:58 PM, davsco said:

@davsco  You've been extremely helpful and wondering if you could confirm if this was the exact link where you purchased your last two mags?

https://mbxextreme.com/index.php?page=Magazines_Optic_2011#!/~/

And finally, could you verify what your SKU number was on your specific Invoice?  Mine was:

SKU: #STI1409CR ->STI1409 SP-11S F-S9C BP-RD IN101 BG49

I think the BP-RD will indicate I ordered the red base pad.

Thanks again for all your help!

👍👍

On 6/13/2023 at 9:12 AM, zzt said:

@zztWondering if this experience was using 140 mags; or were these with your Open (170) mags?

Do you feel that the key to "easily" loading 24, first try in the 140 mags, is simply the +20% spring; and of course the extreme follower?  I see these listed:

Thanks for your details!

+20% Spring.png

7 minutes ago, davsco said:

this is from my emailed order confirmation

141.25mm Complete MBX Magazine for STI∕SVI & all 2011

SKU: #STI1409CGY ->STI1409 SP-11S F-S9C BP-GY IN101 BG49

141.25mm MAGAZINES: 9mm 24rd Competition

TUBE FINISH: Stainless Steel

MAG CATCH: RIGHT HANDED

BASEPAD COLOR: Grey

Identical to mine including the link; yours is GY for the grey base pad and mine R/RD for red.

Thanks again for your info!

👍👍

13 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

@zztWondering if this experience was using 140 mags; or were these with your Open (170) mags?

Do you feel that the key to "easily" loading 24, first try in the 140 mags, is simply the +20% spring; and of course the extreme follower?  I see these listed:

Thanks for your details!

+20% Spring.png

With 170 and 155 mags.  My 140 mags are Atlas with the last round lock back followers.  I wanted to try them.  They work well.  IMO, they are not as good as MBX mags with MBX guts.

Condition your springs and see what happens.

FWIW, I don't chase capacity.  My 155s hold 26 reloadable, but I only load 25.  Much easier reloading.  Just requires insertion, not a push.  My 170 can fit 30 if I try hard, but it isn't reloadable.  So I stay with 29.  I use my 140s for Classifiers or when I have to drop a mag in dirt or mud.

4 hours ago, zzt said:

With 170 and 155 mags.  My 140 mags are Atlas with the last round lock back followers.  I wanted to try them.  They work well.  IMO, they are not as good as MBX mags with MBX guts.

Condition your springs and see what happens.

FWIW, I don't chase capacity.  My 155s hold 26 reloadable, but I only load 25.  Much easier reloading.  Just requires insertion, not a push.  My 170 can fit 30 if I try hard, but it isn't reloadable.  So I stay with 29.  I use my 140s for Classifiers or when I have to drop a mag in dirt or mud.

Thank you Sir!

👍