Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S1050 - Learned something today

Using a 1050 with Mark 7 Pro auto-drive.  I was starting a "new thousand" of a big order and had just fired up the machine for the day.  The previous batch done the night before was in-spec.  After the first few rounds dropped, I noticed that the primers were only about two-thirds seated.  I assumed that the "Calibration" cycle that I'd just done during start-up was the problem, so I cleared the machine and re-calibrated.  No change.  Looked at the priming system and saw nothing out-of-whack, so I simply adjusted the primer seating depth with the Primer System Pushrod in the Toolhead and charged on.  Loaded another 2000 or so with good results with the new adjustment.

Then I started getting frequent Torque Sense stoppages.  The Primer System Rocker Arm (PN 13058) had started to bind, leaving the Primer Punch in the "up" position.  Turns out, the Primer System Rocker Bolt (PN 13296) had backed out and I didn't catch that.

When it had backed out a little, that caused the initial sudden un-adjustment of my Seating Depth.  Once it came out enough to be really problematic, it started the binding. 

Screwing it back in brought everything back inline, but all of my earlier adjustments had to come back out, as I was now seating WAY too deep.

Hopefully this helps somebody.

Edited by Braxton1

UPDATE:  It did it again two thousand rounds later. 

As soon as I finish with this order, I am going to totally disassemble that section of the press and Loc-tite that bolt in...  In the meantime, I put a witness mark on the bolt so I can see if it moves again.

Years ago my RL1050 did it so many times even with red loctite so I finally drilled and tapped a hole and put a set screw in it to keep the bolt from loosening up. 

I wonder if when they loosen a little they enlarge the threaded hole slightly and that’s why they won’t stay tight. My neighbor had a piece of equipment that had 4 bolts that would not stay tight even with loctight. He was tempted to weld them in but it needed to be taken apart occasionally. The holes were slightly loose from the bolts coming loose and moving around. I installed new bolts, lock washers, torqued them,  then safety wired the bolts. 
Still tight four years later. 

• 3 weeks later...

small dab of blue loctite is definitely your friend on this one, and I use a VERY SMALL amount of lube on the primer "punch" that pushes the primer up and seats. Keeps everything lubed, and running smoothly.