Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Shoulder transfer technique

Hi. 

I just want you guys' opinion on this specific technique I found for switching shoulders. If you look at the video at 2:00 (the link should go directly there) the guy shows a technique for switching shoulders. I am using the same hand switching as in this video, but instead of rotating the rifle over the shoulder when switching grip, and then coming down to present the rifle again, I just move the stock directly over to the other shoulder.

My question is this: Are there any advantages to switching using the method in this video? Any disadvantages?

Here is the video link:

One Con would be dropping the gun that comes to mind. 

I just move the buttstock to the opposite shoulder without transitioning  my hands.  I choke up my handguard grip a bit with my left hand keeping my strong hand on the grip of the gun.  Its no slower than what he is doing in the video.  I used this technique just this last weekend.  I the second best HF on the stage against some decent competition.  In our squad I was the only one to use that technique.    

27 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

One Con would be dropping the gun that comes to mind. 

I just move the buttstock to the opposite shoulder without transitioning  my hands.  I choke up my handguard grip a bit with my left hand keeping my strong hand on the grip of the gun.  Its no slower than what he is doing in the video.  I used this technique just this last weekend.  I the second best HF on the stage against some decent competition.  In our squad I was the only one to use that technique.    

I use the same technique as you most of the time, without switching grips. But if the lean is really hard, you could get a little more lean with a complete switchover.

Edit: And I agree, there might be potential for dropping the gun using the technique in the video.

Edited by GrumpyNO

Just to specify, I was wondering on full weak side transition, and not the change shoulder only technique. I usually use that one myself if I don't need to or am required by stage brief to do a full switch.

2 hours ago, 42ATK said:

Bring handguard grip to mag well, shift gun to opposite shoulder at the same time. Bring dominant hand forward, grab HG, move handguard hand to grip and trigger

This is what I'm doing already, and so I saw this video and was wondering if it has any advantages and if anybody else is using this technique.

For a tough left lean I switch to my weak side shoulder and use my 45 degree offset red dot sight.  For a tougher lean, I switch to a full weak shoulder/weak hand stance.  For a ridiculous left side shot I use a weak hand stance, but take the rifle off of my shoulder and aim with the laser, observing where the dot falls through the wall.

10 hours ago, perttime said:

Do USPSA Matches tend to mandate weak or strong hand?

On my side of the Earth, even low level IPSC Matches usually force awkward shooting positions by stage design.

Typically not for normal stages.  Classifiers yes. 

Edited by Boomstick303
On 6/1/2023 at 2:44 AM, GrumpyNO said:

Just to specify, I was wondering on full weak side transition, and not the change shoulder only technique. I usually use that one myself if I don't need to or am required by stage brief to do a full switch.

This is what I'm doing already, and so I saw this video and was wondering if it has any advantages and if anybody else is using this technique.

I can’t see how a more complicated technique is helpful outside of the situation he was in - very close to a barrier where you need to pull the gun over your shoulder AND switch sides