Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor and Major same Powder measure

Chapo

I load major in my 1100 with AA7. Thinking of developing a minor load with same bullet (115) and powder. I’m thinking I would only need to change powder charge for minor. Question, would I need to change OAL and seating depth as well?  

Also, would you change the entire powder measure for one dialed to minor and have two powder measures or would you adjust the knob back and forth between minor and major?

Edited by Chapo

Whole point of reloading is to taylor your load to the application. AA7 will make crappy minor ammo. None of your dies should need adjusting, assuming pretty similar bullet profile., If you change bullets though you may need a different OAL to function..
I load on a DIllon 550, personally I would pull the top end off the press and dump the measure back into the powder container,, work the slide a few times to make sure it is really empty,, reinstall on the press, and fill with new type of powder,,, and adjust as needed. Changing the measure only seems like a pain.. 
If I didnt want to adjust anything Id buy a seperate set of dies and set up a complete caliber conversion kit.
Generally in this situation say,, 38 mousefart vs 38 pin loads,, I just set up for one and load 3 or 4 k, before switching..  

Thanks Joe.  Trying not to change the entire tool head as I am loading on a 1100 and it gets pretty costly.  Maybe I can get a separate measure.  Just remove the top hopper assembly, leave the die and funnel and replace the hopper with the new one.  Not sure why, I thought AA7 would be a good powder.  Will look into it.

Try it.. get one of the powder knobs with marks on it and crank it back a couple turns.  Won't be an awesome minor load for a non-comped gun, but it works ok for things like steel challenge with an Open gun until you can get another measure.

I've found A#7 to work fine in 9mm minor ammo. I don't have much experience with it and 115 grain bullets, but it produces very nice groups with 124/5 grain bullets from a 5.0 inch Kart barrel. For example, 6.0 grains and a 125 HAP at 1082 fps from the 5.0 inch barrel. 10 shots in 1.53 inches at 25 yards. And the velocity extreme spread was low at 27 fps. It's definitely worth trying. 

13 hours ago, shred said:

Try it.. get one of the powder knobs with marks on it and crank it back a couple turns.  Won't be an awesome minor load for a non-comped gun, but it works ok for things like steel challenge with an Open gun until you can get another measure.

I think I will try the minor load with the comp on.  Really don't want to remove it.  And, yes, this minor load would be for action steel matches.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, superdude said:

I've found A#7 to work fine in 9mm minor ammo. I don't have much experience with it and 115 grain bullets, but it produces very nice groups with 124/5 grain bullets from a 5.0 inch Kart barrel. For example, 6.0 grains and a 125 HAP at 1082 fps from the 5.0 inch barrel. 10 shots in 1.53 inches at 25 yards. And the velocity extreme spread was low at 27 fps. It's definitely worth trying. 

So based on your results with a 125 grainer, I'm thinking I could start at 7 grains of AA7 and work my way up.

Edited by Chapo

I load both major and minor 9mm on my 1100. It's a fairly quick switch over for me. I have the micro adjustable seating die and the DAA adjuster on the powder measure. All I do is dump the power back in the container, fill it up with the other powder. Then check my notes and adjust the dials on powder measure and seating die. Run a few cases through to double le check settings, do final adjustment if needed and I'm good to go. Takes about 10 minutes. 

3 hours ago, DavidSeavey said:

i have a major and minor powder measure  for 9 but you could also just get a second powder bar and swap them out leaving the knobs untouched. 

all my measures have these so it's super easy to pour out and change powders or swap

https://www.amazon.com/Armanov-Disconnect-Dillon-Powder-mesure/dp/B07F2NG6J5

Thanks David. Decided to get another dedicated powder measure which has a totally different powder for minor. Also all my measures have that quick release. I love that thang.