Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

24 Rounds? MBX Ultra Max spring/follower Henning base

Boss1622

Is there a trick to loading 24 rounds in the factory Canik mag using the MBX Ultra Max springs and followers with Henning basepads. The MBX Facebook Video makes it look simple but I can not get the 24th round into the magazine. I have loaded it several times while bumping it make sure the spring is free. I also  loaded 23 rounds and let it set for a day. I normally shoot Limited with. SVI / Infinity so I know loading to the max is a challenge. 

11 minutes ago, Boss1622 said:
Is there a trick to loading 24 rounds in the factory Canik mag using the MBX Ultra Max springs and followers with Henning basepads. The MBX Facebook Video makes it look simple but I can not get the 24th round into the magazine. I have loaded it several times while bumping it make sure the spring is free. I also  loaded 23 rounds and let it set for a day. I normally shoot Limited with. SVI / Infinity so I know loading to the max is a challenge. 

I can fit 24 in the mag, but it will not cycle. Too much pressure from the mag on the slide to cycle. I tried the video and still cannot get it to work. 

Mine went in without issue. I used the Canik loader that comes with the gun-may help. I don't use the loader with standard capacity mags, but added capacity tend have issues with nose diving rounds or getting generally cattywompus.

Yes, it works fine with the Henning basepads. You have to "season" the spring when new. I loaded 10, compress the spring 10 times, loaded five more (15 rds) and compressed the spring 20 times, and at 20 rounds compressed the spring again, 10 times. Load the last 4 and you're good to go. The last one will still be kind of tough, but I can get the last round in using my thumb.

Setting the spring with the 23rd doesn't do anything. Compressing multiple times will work better.

Thank you, I kinda figured it out but I wasn't as meticulous as you were. I loaded 23 rounds bumping the base pad into my palm every 3 or 4 after 10. Then unloaded it and started over 2 or 3 times. I then loaded the 23 rounds and let it set for nearly 2 days. I can now load 24 rounds and still have a little bit of room for the last round to move down. I haven't shot it yet but I expect it to run ok. I have had a few people say I may need to go to a lighter recoil and striker spring for the best reliable but I'll try it first. I'll run a couple of magazines through it tomorrow and let you know how it works.

I tried a lighter recoil spring, but that was for 100 gr ammo 110 PF. I was hoping it would run for the Steel challenge, it doesn't. I tried 13/15/17 lb recoil springs. 13lb runs but the slide is so heavy it doesn't feel right even with the 110 pf ammo.

With 24 rounds +1 to start it ran perfect until the 3rd from the last round. That round did not pop up at a angle and jammed up the gun. I cleared the jam, reloaded the same round and 5 more rounds and it finished the magazine without a problem. I then reloaded another 24 rounds and it ran the entire magazine without a problem. 

I will need to run it a bit longer before I would trust it in a match but I think it could work. I also know that the times 24+1 will really make a difference is not all that often. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question about the various extended base pads.  The Taylor Freelance with MBX spring and follower will hold 22 rounds and they state clearly it is 140mm   The Henning basepads say 141.x and can be used for limited and open in USPSA.  Carry optics is 140 I believe.  Would the extra mm and some change be a disqualificaton?

34 minutes ago, fuzzysights said:

I have a question about the various extended base pads.  The Taylor Freelance with MBX spring and follower will hold 22 rounds and they state clearly it is 140mm   The Henning basepads say 141.x and can be used for limited and open in USPSA.  Carry optics is 140 I believe.  Would the extra mm and some change be a disqualificaton?

CO is not 140.  CO/Limited/L10/LO is 141.25. That is clearly stated in the rulebook.

Do not rely upon a manufacturers advertising to determine the legality of your equipment.

The only way to ensure that your mags are legal is to use a USPSA approved mag gauge.

And just because your mags are in theory identical to your buddies does not ensure they will pass the gauge just because his did.

You can post your mag tube manufacturer and base pad manufacturer and you can get some feedback here as to possible legality/illegality. But if you are going to shoot an upper level match beg/borrow/steal a mag gauge.

And you don't get DQ'd if your equipment isn't legal for the division you entered the match as. You just get moved to Open.

On 4/12/2023 at 6:21 PM, Boss1622 said:

I also know that the times 24+1 will really make a difference is not all that often.

For this reason I am not sure I understand the obsession with jamming 24 rounds into a 141 mm magazine.  

• 1 month later...