Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Commander Build

Cam73

Hey guys-

Just about wrapped up with this Commander build and thought I would share a few pictures. Tried a few new things on this one, not entirely successful with all of them, but pretty happy overall. Damn near wore out the tangent button on my calculator in the process too 🤣 

Parts:

Cheely frame and grip

Caspian slide

KKM barrel

EGW ignition

Atlas X-line trigger

AOS plate

Notes:

Planning to ditch the closed reverse plug for a tool-less guide rod

Don't much care for the cheap Wilson safeties

Left a little bit of the radius at the tri-top corners to add a french cut and an additional angle (where it meets the flat top) but decided less is more and called it good.

It will get a front sight, cutter is in the mail.

Let me know what you think, always looking for areas to improve!

NCP-4-3.thumb.jpg.dd404d616741bb33c4fd72d03cb61481.jpgNCP-4-2.thumb.jpg.9025876c0fd2a55348b4e385f7c932b9.jpgNCP-4-5.thumb.jpg.9d0c0892044c5d4f2d81b67015ef70bf.jpgNCP-4-6.thumb.jpg.abcb6fc9da665b51ad7acb4660a1ff2a.jpgNCP-4-7.thumb.jpg.cd6f5ee06ce434929c80a7ee39b61558.jpg

Edited by Cam73

10 hours ago, Midwest3Gunner said:

Looks great! Are you going to flush up the barrel with the slide and recrown?

Thanks and yes. Been waiting 3 months for crown cutters from PTG, despite the in stock status when ordered… edit- if I’m being transparent, they did send pilots and the facing cutter but it doesn’t do me much good.

Originally wanted everything square and flush with the closed supported reverse plug. 

Leaning towards carrying the frame angle across the slide face until it terminates if I can find a reverse plug with enough end material to cut on.

Edited by Cam73

21 minutes ago, Cam73 said:

Thanks and yes. Been waiting 3 months for crown cutters from PTG, despite the in stock status when ordered… edit- if I’m being transparent, they did send pilots and the facing cutter but it doesn’t do me much good.

Originally wanted everything square and flush with the closed supported reverse plug. 

Leaning towards carrying the frame angle across the slide face until it terminates if I can find a reverse plug with enough end material to cut on.

I hear you on PTG, I ordered a action from them last summer for a custom bolt gun build and just got it last week, lead time was supposedly 7 days since it was in stock when I ordered. Action looks great tho, and I'd probably buy another.

5 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

Looks like you have plenty of meat to undercut the trigger guard a bit.

image.png.a66a9b9545bc73a73ceba965516bbed9.png

Definitely, hadn’t really considered increasing the undercut previously.

3 hours ago, Midwest3Gunner said:

I hear you on PTG.

It’s just bad business, but I can manage as a hobbyist/consumer. The guy’s doing this stuff for real with commitments to their customers probably don’t feel the same.

On 4/7/2023 at 7:47 AM, Jhorizon1 said:

I love the flush fit 126mm and this for a carry gun

Flush fit for a 120mm mags with Cheely’s base pads. I have some 126mm tubes I bought before the ban (WA) and they are too long.

17 hours ago, vizsladog said:

What weight recoil spring?

13# flat wire

On 4/7/2023 at 8:04 AM, Cam73 said:

Anyone here have experience with this look? Did you use the solid EGW gunsmith repair reverse plug? Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Jhorizon1 said:

What optic are you going to run? Very nice work BTW.

Thanks.

Going to take a 507C or Justice off a different pistol for the time being. EPS would require a different plate, but would be a nice carry option.

On 4/25/2023 at 4:37 AM, Zachjet said:

Wow.  That thing is beautiful, I’m a big fan of the “less is more” 

what are you thinking as far as coating? 

Thank you!

I'd like to try one of the high performance thin-film coatings from Techmetals or similar, but need to do a bit more research on the topic. This is about the point where I stalled out on my other builds, they are in the white still too 🤣

I've tried most of the available finishes, including hot tank bluing, chrome, nickel, DLC, PVD, etc.  And basically settled on H&M Black Nitride as my top choice.  It's great for durability, super fast turn around, and very affordable.  I recently had a complete DLC refinish done on a SV that I put a new top end on and seriously regret it.  Could have had a better finish from H&M at probably 1/8 of the cost.

3 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

I've tried most of the available finishes, including hot tank bluing, chrome, nickel, DLC, PVD, etc.  And basically settled on H&M Black Nitride as my top choice.  It's great for durability, super fast turn around, and very affordable.  I recently had a complete DLC refinish done on a SV that I put a new top end on and seriously regret it.  Could have had a better finish from H&M at probably 1/8 of the cost.

What's it cost?

Unfortunately with all the new rules regarding shipping guns through private carriers, it may be easier to drive it there these days.

56 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Considered them as well. I emailed for a price sheet awhile ago and didn’t hear back. The cost is very appealing.

2 of the pistols have aluminum grips that will require anodizing elsewhere.

1 hour ago, twodownzero said:

Unfortunately with all the new rules regarding shipping guns through private carriers, it may be easier to drive it there these days.

That is the main reason for me.

12 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

A complete gun by H&M is $250.  Shipping cost will probably add another $50-$100, unless you're an FFL.

Very affordable!

FFL was a goal for this year, but not likely anymore after the brutal legislative session here in WA. 

If you need info from H&M, Ritt in FL and Bear in OH are both very helpful.  Not sure about AZ.  For shipping, I think the least expensive way to do it under current rules is to send parts via USPS or other carrier yourself and have an FFL ship the receiver.  And include a prepaid label for return shipping direct to you.

• 4 months later...
On 9/6/2023 at 11:50 AM, BenDrakeWillcox said:

I know it's been a minute, but are there any updates on this absolute beauty? 

Thank you sir.

Still not coated, but I did wrap up a few loose ends:

Cut in, serrated, installed and blended a Harrison Novak style front sight blank.

Crowned the barrel 11*

I needed it shoot-able to finish the front sight install so I bought the first crown tool I could find in stock and left the land thick with plans to increase the angle later. An engine lathe has since found it's way into the shop, so it's back on the list of to do's.

NCP-4-16.thumb.jpg.75ab98e5ba6ef1873abd3b7207a08bd7.jpgNCP-4-13.thumb.jpg.8b24af487611ecc0b6bbb06e84f9f0a3.jpgNCP-4-15.thumb.jpg.92730956b05fcd30a543094f3d07bf54.jpg