Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

General smithing and reloading bench recommendations

mpmo

Moving to a new house and I'll need to get a new bench for reloading and one for working on my guns.  What do you have that you like / don't like or what would you get if you could do it over?  While capable, I'm not in to mood to build them.  

Thanks! 

The Craftsman and Husky mobile workbenches are pretty good.  They have a butcher block top, so they'll take some abuse as long as some effort is made to cushion them with mats, plus you get all that drawer storage space.  They run about $500 each.

I have 2 auto-driven 1050s on one of these.  With all the weight in the drawers, it gets pretty stable.

46 in. W x 24.5 in. D Standard Duty 9-Drawer Mobile Workbench Cabinet with Solid Wood Top in Gloss Black

Edited by Braxton1

I built a basic bench out of 2x4s, plywood and deck screws. Has one shelf underneath for storage.   You can make it whatever size you want.  I put a sheet of wall panel material over the plywood on the top and over the plywood shelf.   I anchored it to the wall studs and its very sturdy.  If you have the tools this is probably the most cost effective solution.  Oh and I used 8 bolts to secure the top and the shelf to the frame.

Edited by jwhittin

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 11:31 AM, Jhorizon1 said:

The harbor freight wood working hardwood bench is pretty solid and not too bad on price. Also, the wood vise on the end comes in handy as soft jaws from time to time.

I absolutely love mine and can't wait to get a 2nd one for the room.

IMG_1094.JPEG