Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there an app to track firearm usage, cleanings, etc. ?

Just wondering if anyone is aware of any IOS apps that can be used to track a firearms usage. I’m mostly interested in some sort of logbook that lets you enter a Date, rounds fired, and notes. Similar to the many vehicle maintenance and gas mileage trackers already out there. 

I want to track rounds between cleanings, and parts replacements and things like that, as well as failures that occur so that if I start getting light strikes at the 5,000 round mark, I know to change springs at 4,000 rounds. 

Thanks. 

3 hours ago, louu said:

Here's one that's been out for hundreds of years 

image.thumb.png.ae75384c708a2f77c6a8dee09b4158f7.png

Lol, yup, except that it should be a pencil instead of a pen, so the ink doesn't freeze in the cold weather, and of course, the batteries won't die on you...

But, I was hoping for a simple app to track rounds thru my new shotgun, and rounds between maintenance, etc.

I tried to get pedantic like that. Left over from my army armorer days, for some guns we had round count cards,
Tried it with brass for awhile when I first started loaded, how many times it had been shot..
Eventually it just ends up in a bucket. 
Fix or replace items that look worn and dont worry about it.  
Only round count I kinda sorta kept track of was with my limited gun,, and that was by boxes of 5k primers I used.,, 

I have used a spreadsheet for about 27 years. I count the ammo in the range bag before and after trips and log the difference. Simple. I am not an Apple user but I did notice there are some apps in the app store.

I’ve been using the my gun collection since 2008. It’s a windows based program and is free to download.  Requires no internet connection to https://github.com/burnsoftnet/MyGunCollection

you can download the latest release setup Msi  package at. https://github.com/burnsoftnet/MyGunCollection/releases

last updated in sept 2022 so it is still being updated

Edited by JoeMKY

18 hours ago, JoeMKY said:

I’ve been using the my gun collection since 2008. It’s a windows based program and is free to download.  Requires no internet connection to https://github.com/burnsoftnet/MyGunCollection

you can download the latest release setup Msi  package at. https://github.com/burnsoftnet/MyGunCollection/releases

last updated in sept 2022 so it is still being updated

thanks, but that’s not really what I’m looking for. When I started shooting I used to keep a separate notebook for both of my guns and would update them after each range session. That lasted about a year. 

Right now I just want to track my trap gun as I’m having issues with light strikes on the bottom barrel. It started after about 500 rounds. I cleaned the gun, and I think I made the mistake of lubing the firing pins during reassembly, because the problem returned after about 1000 rounds. Started happening with Fiochhi shells, but then with Federal as well. 
This time I installed a J and P firing pin and spring kit and kept the pins dry. Now I want to keep track of rounds fired and ammo used to see if it happens again, and if so how long does it take. 

So, in reality what I want is a very simple spreadsheet or even just using the Notes app. But I was wondering if there was an app that did it. 

The Gun Log SPC app seems to do what I want, and a whole lot more, so I’ll play around with it until I see if there is something simpler around. 

23 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I have used a spreadsheet for about 27 years. I count the ammo in the range bag before and after trips and log the difference. Simple. I am not an Apple user but I did notice there are some apps in the app store.

Another spreadsheet user here.  Log round counts, cleanings, any kind of failures and match placement.