Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Local match capacity survey

Fishbreath

5 hours ago, motosapiens said:

That will happen anywhere those sort of people are enabled. We try not to enable them. I don't mind driving the lazy douches away, if that's what it takes. Maybe that's why our matches aren't selling out, lol.

This is a very interesting case study. Every club around here in central NC one way or another does setup the day before the match. So shooters are very conditioned to roll up an hour before the match and be able to just walk stages with targets already hung, etc.

Last month, we had quite a bit of standing water in the shooting area on one bay and another shooter and I were digging trenches to drain it and spreading sand to give traction. And guys were getting in our way because they just kept walking the stage. I was so shocked I didn't say anything, but I should have.

Being able to put on a big match for big numbers is cool, but if it were a smaller group where everyone pitched in, that definitely seems like it would be more satisfying. Build relationships by working together, not just silently walking stages and nodding and waving to each other while you game out a club match like it's Nationals. I'm as guilty as anyone of doing that, but I'm always conscious of the effect on the culture.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When people walking through stages while they were still being setup morning-of got to be obnoxious many years ago we did some last-minute changes to the stages after setup was done.  Close a port here, open one there.  When they bitch it's "oh, you must have walked through before the setup was done... next time if you help with setup it'll be done sooner".

These days we've got a pretty good culture and plenty of helpers for the most part.

I did a little bit of analysis on this on Instagram. Here's the raw data. Short version is that it does look like a substantially worse problem in 2022 than it was in 2021.

I'll be curious if my match fills up this year. If it starts to, I'd take that as solid evidence that we're getting more crowded again. (Some fellow Western Pennsylvanians who have been around longer tell me that pre-COVID it was pretty common for matches to fill up here.)

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, PA_USPSA said:

I signed up for a match in Old Bridge, NJ this morning.  The match was full (105 shooters) 30 seconds after registration opened.  

Ditto.  Part of the problem with Steelscoring is that’s it’s open reg..