Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 Integration Problems

I did a brief search and could not find anything on this so if there is another thread can the Admin please file appropriately.

I thought it might be wise to create a thread with Dillon/Mark 7 integration problems and questions so they can be consolidated in one place.

I have set up a used Mark 7 on my Dillon 1050 and I am having what I believe to be emf (electromagnetic interference) issues.  Once the Mark 7 is driving the press at a certain speed it shuts down.  Everything works fine until I reach a certain speed which is not close to the max speed the press is capable of.  I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar or the same issue and was able to isolate the problem.  I have done a couple of things, but I think it has to do with the way I have the Mark 7 control wires routed.  Has anyone figured out which cable seems to be the most sensitive of the bunch or I need to isolate?  I intend to work on the issue this weekend, but if someone has already figured it out it may save me some time.

Thanks in advance.

Is there a safety switch that may be getting tripped by vibration? Have you tried shielding the wires? Proper grounding ? Have no idea of your setup, just throwing out things that I’ve run into on other equipment. 

52 minutes ago, Farmer said:

Proper grounding

Are you talking about grounding other than the normal ground found in all of the plugs?

No safety SD is currently connected.  I do work in automation so I am pretty familiar with EMF.  I will be going into trouble shooting mode today or tomorrow, just reaching out if there was an easy fix.

Additional shielding of any control wire should not be a concern for a plug and play system.  The reason I am asking is in all of the forums I have come across I have not seen this problem.  There is a filter you buy from them that is supposed to help but it did not change anything.  

4 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I did a brief search and could not find anything on this so if there is another thread can the Admin please file appropriately.

I thought it might be wise to create a thread with Dillon/Mark 7 integration problems and questions so they can be consolidated in one place.

I have set up a used Mark 7 on my Dillon 1050 and I am having what I believe to be emf (electromagnetic interference) issues.  Once the Mark 7 is driving the press at a certain speed it shuts down.  Everything works fine until I reach a certain speed which is not close to the max speed the press is capable of.  I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar or the same issue and was able to isolate the problem.  I have done a couple of things, but I think it has to do with the way I have the Mark 7 control wires routed.  Has anyone figured out which cable seems to be the most sensitive of the bunch or I need to isolate?  I intend to work on the issue this weekend, but if someone has already figured it out it may save me some time.

Thanks in advance.

@Boomstick303 I'm not automated yet...........but would have to recommend you move the thread over to the non-Dillon Equipment side and seek input from experienced M7 automation users there.  Especially @SSGJohnV as he can provide "factory support"!

IIRC, he mentions importance of cable management in this video.  Also have "heard" of others experiencing issues at increased speeds if the calibration is off.........

IMO, this info is relevant to using the automation on Dillon or M7 presses.

HTHs.......

Edited by HOGRIDER
update

59 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

IIRC, he mentions importance of cable management in this video.  Also have "heard" of others experiencing issues at increased speeds if the calibration is off.........

Thanks.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  I figured it was cable management.  I was just getting ready to jump on here and inform the thread I figured it out, that it was indeed cable management.  The USB cable was picking up interference just as the video indicated.  I re-routed the USB cable and with the press empty it can run at 1800 RPM which is probably as fast as I want to run it.

I am surprised I did not run into this video as I watch a lot of that channel.  

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Thanks.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  I figured it was cable management.  I was just getting ready to jump on here and inform the thread I figured it out, that it was indeed cable management.  The USB cable was picking up interference just as the video indicated.  I re-routed the USB cable and with the press empty it can run at 1800 RPM which is probably as fast as I want to run it.

I am surprised I did not run into this video as I watch a lot of that channel.  

Thank you.

Glad to help and hear that you got it running!

👍😉

4 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Are you talking about grounding other than the normal ground found in all of the plugs?

No safety SD is currently connected.  I do work in automation so I am pretty familiar with EMF.  I will be going into trouble shooting mode today or tomorrow, just reaching out if there was an easy fix.

Additional shielding of any control wire should not be a concern for a plug and play system.  The reason I am asking is in all of the forums I have come across I have not seen this problem.  There is a filter you buy from them that is supposed to help but it did not change anything.  

I guess I should have said Shielding. Sounds like you got it rolling anyway. 👍

Disregard my fix.  That was not the issue.  Still have shut down issues.  

Message is lost communication with console.  Its not due to loose wires because I can shake them all day long and I do not loose communication.  

I will try to discuss with Mark 7 to find a fix.

3 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Disregard my fix.  That was not the issue.  Still have shut down issues.  

Message is lost communication with console.  Its not due to loose wires because I can shake them all day long and I do not loose communication.  

I will try to discuss with Mark 7 to find a fix.

Are you using their interference reducer in your bullet feeder?