Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P365 slide stuck with round still in chamber

TexasShootR

Out shooting this evening with my P365 and twice it failed to fire. The first time it happened I was able to pull back on the slide a little. After releasing the slide it went forward and the gun fired. About 10 shots later it failed to fire again. Now the slide will only move about an eighth of an inch backward and forward. When I pull the trigger I hear what could be the firing pin release, not sure. Whatever the sound is,  it sounds a bit light. I've seen and dealt with a few fail to fire situations which I had to put a lot of force on the pistol to get it to open but this little pistol isn't moving when I try to get it open. Plus I know the bullet is still in the case.  Looking for some expert advice on what to do. Thanks!

I looked at my 365, I think, I would put the rear sight on a sharp hard surface, like the edge of a work bench and shove down on it fast and hard. Hopefully someone else has a better idea. 😟

What worked for me is to grab the slide as hard as I could and then punch the handle with the web of your hand hard.

I had this happen on a Glock and one of my handloads.  Since then, I went through all my loads and verified that each one would pass through a hundo gauge or chamber gauge. 

Edited by SnipTheDog

12 minutes ago, SnipTheDog said:

What worked for me is to grab the slide as hard as I could and then punch the handle with the web of your hand hard.

This is what I was going to say. 

Sounds like your ammo is a touch long for the chamber and the bullet is lodged in the rifling but the gun is not all the way in battery. I've yet to have one I can't get out using this method, but it is a lot harder with tiny guns. 

13 hours ago, TexasShootR said:

Yes reload

Oops.

If you reloaded it you didn’t do a proper plunk test for OAL nor gauge check each round. If you purchased the reloads you always need to check via a plunk test each round. Most likely the ammo was loaded too long for the chamber. 

But, now you have a stuck round.

Using a squib rod would work but is dangerous. Best way is to uses a soft/brass mallet or similar and while pointing the barrel away from anything smack a prominent surface on the slide. You could also use the flat edge of a screw driver between the slide port and barrel twisting it to pry the barrel open. Problem with this is you will scratch,  gouge and damage the surfaces.  

When I was shooting a new gun and the OAL was too long, the bullet jammed in the rifling, I was in the same boat.  I knew the striker was not cocked (different platform) so that made it easier.  I put the grip against a hard surface ( my tailgate) and hit the slide at the level of the guide rod with a gunsmith’s hammer.   As long as you are off to the left (not over ejection port), you are pretty safe .   Obviously you want to hold the hammer as far back as possible so that your hand is no where near the barrel.  

Update, got the bullet out. Nervous as heck doing this in my garage in a subdivision but I took all precautions. Long story short, I pressed on the ejector pin while pulling back on the slide and it came loose. I then had to hammer the stuck bullet out of the barrel. Looks like it didn't get a hit of powder during the loading, looks like the primer drove the bullet into the barrel. Out of curiosity I measured the remaining bullets in the mag and they were all 1.14 COL. Thanks to all that replied!

IMG_0710 2.JPG

IMG_0711 2.JPG

28 minutes ago, VeilAndrew said:

1.14 feels a little long for FP 9mm rounds.

My 147gr FP bullets are loaded to 1.075"~

Depends on the chamber and the OGIVE of the bullet. I have brands which plunk at 1.15 and others 1.10 in the same chamber. This is why whenever changing brands of bullets make sure to plunk test before doing a massive loading session. It doesn't take long to find out  "SAAMI" specs are just guidelines and loading is about custom fitting the combo to the gun and application.

The OP purchased these as reloads and had no idea if they would run in his gun. Now, unless he has a press to reseat the bullets (which will scrape some coating off) he has a bunch of over long bullets to shoot. What I would do is plunk everyone of them to find the outliers which won't run.

This happened to me today (also P365), the round didn't fire when my wife pulled the trigger; she dropped the mag and tried to manually cycle the slide, but couldn't budge it.  I tried too, no luck, but I was able to fire the round down range (magazine out).  The slide didn't cycle upon firing, and it still wouldn't budge manually, brass still in the chamber.  I ended up putting the muzzle down on the carpeted shooting bench and forcing it down, which broke loose the lockup, and the brass rattled out the mag well.  Now I get to start researching the cause.

Winchester 115 grain FMJ, bulk white box from Bass Pro. 

13 hours ago, DeepBlueRiver said:

This happened to me today (also P365), the round didn't fire when my wife pulled the trigger; she dropped the mag and tried to manually cycle the slide, but couldn't budge it.  I tried too, no luck, but I was able to fire the round down range (magazine out).  The slide didn't cycle upon firing, and it still wouldn't budge manually, brass still in the chamber.  I ended up putting the muzzle down on the carpeted shooting bench and forcing it down, which broke loose the lockup, and the brass rattled out the mag well.  Now I get to start researching the cause.

Winchester 115 grain FMJ, bulk white box from Bass Pro. 

Winchester bulk white box has a less than stellar reputation.

• 4 weeks later...

How did you press the ejector pin while pulling back on the slide?

Long story short I think I put some 9mm ammo in that's too big for the P365. The round won't enter the chamber all the way but my slide is totally locked in place. 

1 hour ago, Temba55 said:

How did you press the ejector pin while pulling back on the slide?

Long story short I think I put some 9mm ammo in that's too big for the P365. The round won't enter the chamber all the way but my slide is totally locked in place. 

I'm not sure how the ejector enters into this but I am eager to learn.

As has previously been described the typical way to deal with this initially is to hold the slide firmly in one hand while you attempt to drive the grip forward with the other.

If you are only using your hands to perform this action it is very unlikely that you would cause any damage to the gun.

Also as explained one Plan B possibility is to find a suitable surface to position the muzzle end of the slide against and again to assert pressure on the grip attempting to drive it forward. You have to be careful how you position the slide so as to not interfere with the grip or guide rod. 

I've used both methods with success.

The usual rules about aiming in a safe direction while you perform the action certainly apply. It is easy to flag yourself when you get all involved in forceful gun manipulations.