Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloads and DQ's

Joe4d

19 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I'm right handed, I handle the ammo in my left hand, just like I do with a semi auto.

Is that a weak hand reload?

I don't do the change hands shuffle. I'm afraid I'd drop my gun :)

YRR:

Yes, this would be considered a weak hand reload.

When I do the switch hand thing, I have a tendency to roll the cylinder with my left thumb.   Could have an entire sport dedicated to tossing a loaded moon clip into a moving cylinder.  

GG

I'm right handed. My preferred reload is with my strong hand BUT you have to know a weak hand reload as well. If the stage has me running from right to left, I lessen the chance of breaking a 180 by doing a weak hand reload.

I'm an "A" in revo.

10 hours ago, 71Commander said:

I'm right handed. My preferred reload is with my strong hand BUT you have to know a weak hand reload as well. If the stage has me running from right to left, I lessen the chance of breaking a 180 by doing a weak hand reload.

I'm an "A" in revo.

The only person i ever see just switch between reloads is cliff walsh, he can just go either way seemingly equal, but 99% of the time he does stronghand.

Right to left is easy so long as you are able to maintain body awareness, for me this means where is my shoulder position relative to the berm/90/fault line... whichever ref is easiest to notice.

Right to left retreating is definitely a bit of a trick, but its the case always regardless of division..if you feet are pointing up range and you are trying to do a gun manipulation at same time....this is pretty rare though, just have a practiced strategy for this scenario and do it. Depending on the stage i blend something like shuffle stepping backwards and doing the load and turn and run when i can to just getting to next position and doing the load when i get there.

2 hours ago, testosterone said:

The only person i ever see just switch between reloads is cliff walsh, he can just go either way seemingly equal, but 99% of the time he does stronghand.

Right to left is easy so long as you are able to maintain body awareness, for me this means where is my shoulder position relative to the berm/90/fault line... whichever ref is easiest to notice.

Right to left retreating is definitely a bit of a trick, but its the case always regardless of division..if you feet are pointing up range and you are trying to do a gun manipulation at same time....this is pretty rare though, just have a practiced strategy for this scenario and do it. Depending on the stage i blend something like shuffle stepping backwards and doing the load and turn and run when i can to just getting to next position and doing the load when i get there.

Retreating stages are challenging, on some of the more problematic one's I've even just ran to the next position and reload as I pivot and settle.

13 hours ago, 71Commander said:

I'm an "A" in revo.

For me and the number of fine and new motor skills required, Id probably stay put and reload before moving out.  Just dont see it being much of a time saver. 

52 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Retreating stages are challenging, on some of the more problematic one's I've even just ran to the next position and reload as I pivot and settle.

Absolutely.

I do think there is a weak hand reload advantage on retreats, however slight.   At several area matches i watched josh immediately get the gun empty as he started to retreat, then get the next moon in his hand while running then finish the load as he entered the next position.  It definitely looks less awkward.

11 hours ago, testosterone said:

I've shot with Cliff several times. I still have pic when we shot in Iowa.

8 hours ago, Joe4d said:

For me and the number of fine and new motor skills required, Id probably stay put and reload before moving out.  Just dont see it being much of a time saver. 

I'm a drummer. I'm pretty good with both hands but my primary reload is with strong hand.

8 hours ago, testosterone said:

At several area matches i watched josh immediately get the gun empty as he started to retreat, then get the next moon in his hand while running then finish the load as he entered the next position.

I've done it this way (e.g.) for runs back and left. For runs back and right, I'm torn between whether I like the idea of turning my legs/hips and twisting my torso to reload (e.g.) more than loading while moving backward for a step or two, then booking it. If there's enough of a horizontal move at the end of the uprange one, maybe better to separate the start and finish of the load. If it's straight back, maybe better to get it done at the beginning and focus on the movement the rest of the way.

48 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

I've done it this way (e.g.) for runs back and left. For runs back and right, I'm torn between whether I like the idea of turning my legs/hips and twisting my torso to reload (e.g.) more than loading while moving backward for a step or two, then booking it. If there's enough of a horizontal move at the end of the uprange one, maybe better to separate the start and finish of the load. If it's straight back, maybe better to get it done at the beginning and focus on the movement the rest of the way.

Yeah, I play around with this just to make sure i have something in the box so it wont be my first ever at a match.

I guess doing it on a timer a bunch of times will tell you the story.

The context i thought of josh doing this in, it was two different stages at a7 a long time ago, and they were like, direct retreats, think running along a wall and it was a good 15 yards.

On 2/25/2023 at 7:29 AM, testosterone said:

One year Cliff shot an entire major match using the opposite reload style than what he normally does.  He did it just for kicks.  No problems at all.

Edited by Carmoney

Trying left hand reload,,, keep reaching for the loader with my right hand,  Also doesnt really seem to be saving me any steps. I still have to adjust my right hand quite a bit as my  right thumb and part of hand are blocking the cylinder, so have to adjust it down quite a bit on the grip. Not having any issues with muzzle either way. Using thumb to eject, but so far only using dummy rounds.
My gun is 22, no idea how hard ejection will be with a dirty gun and fired rounds.