Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX 24 rnd follower

echotango

2 hours ago, echotango said:

Has anyone tried these?  In 2011's their follower always let rounds past the follower so I am a bit skeptical on the super this follower. Just wondering on the reliability. 

I’ve tried both rune and mbx. Sometime they work, sometimes they dont. I think there is enough variance in the tube bodies, basepads and range brass for them not to reliably work.

that said, I was able to get some to work reliably by grinding some additional room inside the base pad with a demel…

it’s a very fine line, and I ruined the first couple basepads by removing too much.

Edited by Rich406

7 hours ago, echotango said:

In 2011's their follower always let rounds past the follower

I have seen that, as well as a complete "saltshaker" with follower and two rounds stuck tight in the middle of the tube.

They recommended new springs and followers, which seem to be a fix so far.  Old springs were significantly squashed down.

Next time around I will get their slide lock follower for some guidance, even at the cost of capacity.

Edited by Jim Watson

I’ve heard good things about the rune but I suppose nothing is perfect. Sick’s you’re having issues with both, Rich406. I’d like to try one or the other though as my local has numerous 24 round stages and I’m starting to feel confident enough to run with a 24+1. 

2 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

I’ve heard good things about the rune but I suppose nothing is perfect. Sick’s you’re having issues with both, Rich406. I’d like to try one or the other though as my local has numerous 24 round stages and I’m starting to feel confident enough to run with a 24+1. 

pretty much everyone I’ve heard of that’s gotten them to run 100% had to grind the base pad. 

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal to do. But it’s definitely not plug and play. 

8 minutes ago, jpeters11 said:

I’ve got 8 140mm mags. Henning rx pads on 4 and TTI on the other 4. Rune followers and springs in all. Easy 24+1 in all of them. No grinding other than the tubes of the Rx ones. 

No errors or failure to feed when starting at 24+1? That’s interesting. 

8 hours ago, Rich406 said:

pretty much everyone I’ve heard of that’s gotten them to run 100% had to grind the base pad. 

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal to do. But it’s definitely not plug and play. 

Interesting. I’m assuming on the henning pads? 

6 hours ago, jpeters11 said:

No grinding other than the tubes of the Rx ones. 

Just to be sure, your TTI pads worked fine? Currently I have all TTI

9 hours ago, jpeters11 said:

No, running wolf 12lb variable springs and 135ish pf 124gr 

Like I said, that's interesting. I tried probably 10 difference combinations of spring, tube and base pad. none of them would run 10 out of 10 times. Some would run most of the time but not always. Some of them were so tight, I was barely able to get 24 round in.

I wasn't able to get one to run 100% until I removed some material from the base pad.

If you were able to just plug and play 8 magazines, with zero issues, that makes me wonder what the difference is.

I picked up two of the Rune spring/follower sets.

Tried with several different 17 round mags using several TTI and several Henning pads.

The 24th round is challenging to insert.

Glad I have a Maglula or maybe I couldn't do it.

They fail to run as 24+1  more often than not.

They work fine as 23+1 but that isn't the point.

21 minutes ago, echotango said:

I easily get 23+1 with a grams follower and TTI spring in a 17+5 TTI.  100% reliable.  1 round is not worth wondering if it is going to run.  thanks

I’d agree with you most times. However, on 24 round stages I’ll normally do a reload. There’s been some where I wouldn’t have if I had one more round to have as a possible make up. Granted, I’ve been burnt on a few 24 round stages where I thought I had it in me to not need the make up lol. That’s on me though. 

17 minutes ago, X5SigChris said:

I’d agree with you most times. However, on 24 round stages I’ll normally do a reload. There’s been some where I wouldn’t have if I had one more round to have as a possible make up. Granted, I’ve been burnt on a few 24 round stages where I thought I had it in me to not need the make up lol. That’s on me though. 

Same, but if it is not reliable then it is a worthless plan.  Maybe at a local match having fun, but at a major, I would always just reload. 

2 minutes ago, echotango said:

Same, but if it is not reliable then it is a worthless plan.  Maybe at a local match having fun, but at a major, I would always just reload. 

Don’t make me nervous. I’m going to my first major in April and I’m about to give it a full on send hahaha 

Just now, X5SigChris said:

Don’t make me nervous. I’m going to my first major in April and I’m about to give it a full on send hahaha 

Haha, never take the gamble.  There is always a spot to reload that won't cost you time.  Just don't fub the reload.