Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC Mini Rifle in the USA

RadarLuv

1 minute ago, RJH said:

One of my local clubs runs an outlaw match with no steel on 5th Sundays. A few people shoot 22s. Most of us still shoot real guns though

Lol on the real guns, a challenge is a challenge regardless of caliber. Not trying to start a caliber snob discussion, but .22 is kind of a gateway caliber so the potential for new shooters is high. That seems like a win for most any practical shooting you do. As far as I can tell they have world shoots for ipsc mini rifle, just like pcc, shotgun, and rifle. 

1 minute ago, RadarLuv said:

Lol on the real guns, a challenge is a challenge regardless of caliber. Not trying to start a caliber snob discussion, but .22 is kind of a gateway caliber so the potential for new shooters is high. That seems like a win for most any practical shooting you do. As far as I can tell they have world shoots for ipsc mini rifle, just like pcc, shotgun, and rifle. 

Yeah, I wasn't trying to be a caliber snob there, that came off the wrong way LOL. I just meant most of us just shot our normal stuff, not 22s. Mostly I was trying to get at you can run an outlaw match and do that at your own club. Especially if it's paper only. At the one here, people shoot their normal stuff, ARS, aks, m1a's, garands, full auto, 22s, they do a two-gun division, it's pretty fun. It might be a way for you to get some mini rifle stuff started in your area

17 hours ago, RadarLuv said:

Few videos on YouTube but its all in the UK. 

It started in the UK after the handgun ban in 1997, it was basically the only viable option at the time. It had many advantages especially with cheap ammo - and unlike shotgun and rifle - could be hosted in UK's many indoor ranges.

Seems like if you want to shoot .22 in  competition for the usa its steel challenge which personally I love the speed but hate the stand and deliver part, or NRL 22 which is fun but also very little movement. Outlaws are fun and all but looking for more structure and a chance to compete at world level.

So the elevator pitch is "PCC with .22 rifles".  Same-same for targets, but switch to thinner steel?

Much as I don't love some of how USPSA PCC ended up,  at least it could mostly 'drop-in' (some fitting required) to USPSA pistol matches, which helped with adoption.

8 hours ago, shred said:

So the elevator pitch is "PCC with .22 rifles".  Same-same for targets, but switch to thinner steel?

Much as I don't love some of how USPSA PCC ended up,  at least it could mostly 'drop-in' (some fitting required) to USPSA pistol matches, which helped with adoption.

Right, it would be range friendly with the right targets. Not really looking to piggy back a uspsa match, but have a stand alone event. You could easily enough include .22 pistols so might draw some guys from the steel challenge crowd. 

Two of my IDPA clubs put in Panicdemic-Supplychain relief divisions for rimfires.

I have had a ball popping away with my Nelson Conversion and it got a lot of Glock 44s,  and AR22s, and some 10-22s out to shoot.

One range has resumed using heavy steel so although rimfires are still listed as an option, they are not competitive. 

If anyone is interested this is a club near me that got me thinking along the IPSC mini gun lines. It's an outlaw match but follows uspsa rules and includes .22 pistols. 

On practiscore search

Darnall action 22 cal league 

In Bloomington IL

Setting up an running an IPSC MR Match is not as hard as you want to think ...

1 - USPSA is the US Region for IPSC ... Therefore, any USPSA club is authorized to run an IPSC Rules match

2 - Get a copy of the IPSC MR Rules and read through them ... You'll find it's not terribly different from USPSA Rules

3 - Have your club design and run an IPSC Rules MR match

Not that complex!  And, as a bonus, the ammo is WAY cheaper than anything else we do!!!

BTW ... I checked with Foley when he was president and he said go for it ... Just use IPSC Rules!

Edited by Schutzenmeister

13 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Setting up an running an IPSC MR Match is not as hard as you want to think ...

1 - USPSA is the US Region for IPSC ... Therefore, any USPSA club is authorized to run an IPSC Rules match

2 - Get a copy of the IPSC MR Rules and read through them ... You'll find it's not terribly different from USPSA Rules

3 - Have your club design and run an IPSC Rules MR match

Not that complex!  And, as a bonus, the ammo is WAY cheaper than anything else we do!!!

BTW ... I checked with Foley when he was president and he said go for it ... Just use IPSC Rules!

I was thinking that it could be done easy enough, thanks for the info. Do you know if there is still a world shoot for mini rifle, and how many matches would need to be held to qualify for it?

On 2/17/2023 at 2:07 PM, RadarLuv said:

I was thinking that it could be done easy enough, thanks for the info. Do you know if there is still a world shoot for mini rifle, and how many matches would need to be held to qualify for it?

Absolutely!  It's scheduled for something like the 2d and 3rd weeks of October in the Czech Republic.  (Sorry, don't have the EXACT dates in front of me, but it is that timeframe.)

As to securing a slot ... Those are awarded to each region by IPSC.  (The US is a region.)  You will have to contact HQ USPSA to see what their criteria are for securing a slot.  (You might actually want to start with your AD.)

Good luck!

• 7 months later...
On 2/18/2023 at 12:50 AM, RadarLuv said:

If anyone is interested this is a club near me that got me thinking along the IPSC mini gun lines. It's an outlaw match but follows uspsa rules and includes .22 pistols. 

On practiscore search

Darnall action 22 cal league 

In Bloomington IL

How did this match go?

On 2/15/2023 at 6:09 PM, shred said:

Not really.

PCC is like Handgun with a small rifle.

Mini Rifle is like Rifle, but on shorter distances and smaller targets.

From IPSC Mini Rifle Rules:

1.2.1.6 The recommended balance for a Level III or higher IPSC Mini Rifle match with regards to target distance is: 40% of all targets to be less than 25 meters, 40% to be between 25 and 40 meters and 20% to be between 40 and 120 meters.

1.2.1.7 The maximum target distance for IPSC Mini Targets used in IPSC Mini Rifle matches is 80 meters.
1.2.1.8 Where the physical dimensions of a range preclude the siting of targets at distances greater than 50 meters, it is recommended that the IPSC Micro Target be used

On 10/25/2023 at 2:57 PM, Philip-Santos said:

How did this match go?

You know what it went well. Also been shooting a practical, steel only, match in indiana. It is a very good time.

https://practiscore.com/wvrpc-rimfire-falling-steel-11-5-2023/register

Last one this weekend till spring.

Also saw the 2025 IPSC mini rifle world shoot will be in Czech Republic. Now to figure out how to qualify and get a ticket to go.

Yep. IPSC lets the Regions, in case of USA: USPSA, decide who can go.

For example 2024 Rifle World Shoot in Finland:

""""""""""

I would like to shoot the match. Can you give me a slot?

No. You must apply for a slot from the Regional Director of your Region of residence.
""""""""""

On 10/26/2023 at 1:34 AM, perttime said:

Not really.

PCC is like Handgun with a small rifle.

Mini Rifle is like Rifle, but on shorter distances and smaller targets.

But yes and no. Both IPSC PCC and IPSC Mini Rifle rule books are derived from the IPSC Rifle rule book. And there is PCC rule

On 10/26/2023 at 1:34 AM, perttime said:

From IPSC Mini Rifle Rules:

1.2.1.6 The recommended balance for a Level III or higher IPSC Mini Rifle match with regards to target distance is: 40% of all targets to be less than 25 meters, 40% to be between 25 and 40 meters and 20% to be between 40 and 120 meters.

1.2.1.7 The maximum target distance for IPSC Mini Targets used in IPSC Mini Rifle matches is 80 meters.
1.2.1.8 Where the physical dimensions of a range preclude the siting of targets at distances greater than 50 meters, it is recommended that the IPSC Micro Target be used

For comparison - same rules for IPSC PCC (note the bold part I highlighted):

1.2.1.6 The recommended balance for an IPSC Pistol Caliber Carbine match with regards to target
distance is: 90% of all targets to be less than 50 meters and 10% to be between 50 and 100 meters.
However, this does not apply if the same courses of fire are being used for an IPSC Pistol Caliber
Carbine match held in conjunction with that of another discipline (e.g. handgun).

1.2.1.7 The maximum target distance for IPSC Mini Targets used in IPSC Pistol Caliber Carbine matches is 50 meters.
1.2.1.8 Where the physical dimensions of a range preclude the siting of targets at distances greater than 50 meters, it is recommended that the IPSC Micro Target be used (see Appendix B5). 

So, the PCC match can be co-located not only with a Handgun match but also with an IPSC Mini Rifle match. Then the recommended balance would not apply on the shared courses of fire.

And there is this. The same range where the Extreme Euro Open is being run...

image.thumb.png.ad9936b5a512bef45e2c42bf7feb4cc6.png