Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ75 TTI +4 Extensions Breakage and Wear -- Anyone else seen this?

VeilAndrew

Recently, at a match, I noticed that one of my magazines had split apart at one of the lips where the extension attaches to the magazine. Upon further inspection, I noticed that my other extensions all had wear marks in the exact same spots on the exact same sides. It's likely an oversight by the TTI design team, and upon contacting them, they were happy to replace them at no charge. Despite that, I'm still likely to grab some Hennings or something that have a more robust design because I don't want to be hours from home at a bigger match and have my magazines fall apart. I've heard of no issues with their extensions on Glocks, Sigs, or other guns.

Have y'all experienced this breakage/wear pattern before? These are factory CZ75 magazines with Grams guts and the TTI extensions to get them to 23 rounds in the tube. I'm curious if this is specific to this combination since I'm sure jamming 23 rounds in there increases the tension on the extension at the bottom of the magazine.

image.thumb.png.6919019b2b6b7e9442cf221fa87b4f2e.png

image.thumb.png.ac0281e9680a69808b310f875a62ac35.png

image.png.c1f94e7314bc068a640102f401850fb8.png

This is a failure point on most extensions. That lip holds the entirety of the pressure from a fully loaded magazine. Eventually they're all going to fatigue. TTI, Henning, all are going to experience this at some point. The fact that TTI is happy to replace them speaks to them standing behind their product. (I have a Henning that had the same issue FWIW)

It's not ideal but I've seen it enough I know to look for it in my scheduled maintenance. 

1 minute ago, robertwyatt said:

This is a failure point on most extensions. That lip holds the entirety of the pressure from a fully loaded magazine. Eventually they're all going to fatigue. TTI, Henning, all are going to experience this at some point.

That's relieving to hear that I'm not alone and didn't just get randomly unlucky. From just looking though, that ear is noticeably more supported on the Henning extensions than the TTIs, based off of just looking at one of my buddy's extensions.

Since it's only on one side, I'm assuming that's where the first loaded bullet sits against (pushing down) when loaded to 23. 

Henning's have gone through design updates over the years probably to address this issue among others. The one I had a failure with was going on four years old so it cracking while annoying wasn't unexpected. The others I have from Henning have been rock solid. 

I'm not saying TTI is bad. I don't want that misunderstood. I have basepads from all of these companies and they've all been wonderful. When I have problems, the companies are great to work with. 

Right, I absolutely don't want to say TTI is a bad company either. Their Sig (P320 and MPX) and Glock extensions have worked flawlessly for me so far. I think it might have just been something overlooked for the CZ magazines. I treat them pretty rough anyway, and their willingness to replace with just an order number is absolutely fine with me.

Especially on top of the fact that I've gotten all of my extensions from them during their 40% off sales..

Edited by VeilAndrew
Added tidbit at end.

👆 Especially loaded.  More weight and more compressed spring is worse

There's just not much room there with Tanfo & CZ basepads, especially if you want them to fit all frames and clear a magwell (CO shooters don't but the general public often does).

that's a common issue with the TTI design and others, they are too thin at that point. The newer Henning are much thicker and I've yet to have one crack despite doing most of my shooting on a concrete floored range and dropping my mags with abandon. I've seen the TTI break after only a dozen or so drops. 

@slavex -- Fantastic. I'm going to get these extensions back from TTI and likely just keep them around as backup magazines. They performed flawlessly outside of the whole cracking thing :P

But yeah, I'm pretty sold on the Hennings. It seems that the Henning website also directly sells the Rune Tactical 24+1 kits so may just be an opportunity to mess around a bit with combinations.

4 hours ago, VeilAndrew said:

@slavex -- Fantastic. I'm going to get these extensions back from TTI and likely just keep them around as backup magazines. They performed flawlessly outside of the whole cracking thing :P

But yeah, I'm pretty sold on the Hennings. It seems that the Henning website also directly sells the Rune Tactical 24+1 kits so may just be an opportunity to mess around a bit with combinations.

Henning and the Rune Tactical spring follower combo is what I've been using since late last year. It's been super solid. I can actually reload a 24 round into my S2 pretty easy now. I'm seriously impressed with that follower.

1 hour ago, robertwyatt said:

Henning and the Rune Tactical spring follower combo is what I've been using since late last year. It's been super solid. I can actually reload a 24 round into my S2 pretty easy now. I'm seriously impressed with that follower.

That's pretty awesome. I'll definitely look forward to it then. It seems that MBX has also released a kit as of yesterday, but it seems the Rune Tactical kits are more "proven," since you're not the first to tell me that they've been good.

21 minutes ago, broadside72 said:

I just replaced my TTI with Hennings as I found that the two TTI on my primary mags are cracking/bending at the point noted in above posts. The new Hennings are much much thicker at that spot.

Call TTI and they'll get you fixed up. At least they did for me!