Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Highest Thumb Safeties

Moto_wrench

Just picked up my first open gun/2011 and struggling with pushing the safety up and on with my support hand. The meaty part of my support hand palm is the problem. 

Yes I ride the safety with my right thumb but it forces me to put my left hand in an uncomfortable spot lower than I would like. 

Who makes the tallest safety?

1 hour ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Have the same problem. Get the Atlas high ride safeties and Dremel the detent hole deeper. To the point where you have to use your opposite hand to make the safety engage. You'll never have an issue again lol

Thanks I’ll look at ordering a set and warm up the Dremel tool lol

On 1/24/2023 at 10:08 AM, Rnlinebacker said:

Have the same problem. Get the Atlas high ride safeties and Dremel the detent hole deeper. To the point where you have to use your opposite hand to make the safety engage. You'll never have an issue again lol

Interesting solution. 

I was having the same problem and did exactly as rn suggested making the detent a little deeper a bit at a time.  It is a much more positive engagement and I haven’t been able to get the safety to re-engage by my support hand pushing it up. Going to the range tomorrow and I’ll report back with results. 

Edited by Pcew73

6 minutes ago, Moto_wrench said:

That sounds perfect then. Thanks for the suggestions. 

For some reason I read that the Atlas were hard to find right now but hopefully you can locate some ASAP! 

3 minutes ago, Posvar said:

For some reason I read that the Atlas were hard to find right now but hopefully you can locate some ASAP! 

They are in fact OOS on Atlas site. 

I may try to increase the detent depth on these PT safeties for now. 

Still a little scared to DIY on this thing lol

6 minutes ago, Moto_wrench said:

You will do fine! Measure sixteen times and cut once :)

On 1/26/2023 at 10:05 AM, Posvar said:

They've been out of stock forever!!  I put one on my primary gun for the same reason as the OP.  I've been looking periodically since at least October so I could get one for my back up and they've been OOS.  I submitted a request to be notified via email when they're back in stock and sent a message asking how long they think it might be.  I was told they're in the queue, but was not given a timeline. 

On 1/26/2023 at 10:13 AM, Moto_wrench said:

Just go a little a time and test constantly to find when the safety really is locked down. You won't hurt anything

On 1/25/2023 at 8:52 PM, Pcew73 said:

I was having the same problem and did exactly as rn suggested making the detent a little deeper a bit at a time.  It is a much more positive engagement and I haven’t been able to get the safety to re-engage by my support hand pushing it up. Going to the range tomorrow and I’ll report back with results. 

What dremel tip did you use to deepen the detent? I have massive hands and have the same issue. I actually switched to a narrower safety with a deeper indent which helped, but I'd still appreciate knowing the dremel tip used. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Bigzona said:

What dremel tip did you use to deepen the detent? I have massive hands and have the same issue. I actually switched to a narrower safety with a deeper indent which helped, but I'd still appreciate knowing the dremel tip used. Thanks!

I got the finest tip one I could find at menards.  I took off very little at a time and checked it i till I got it to my liking.  

00FD0BDC-DD72-4F0A-ABAA-E9AC70CA021F.jpeg

Edited by Pcew73