Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 extended safety in C/O.

ColoradoNick

Long story short I traded guns with my wife and her Shadow 2 is now mine. She wanted the extended safety, mostly because she didn't like dropping the hammer on it. I'm not as much of a fan as it changes the grip I'm used to a little bit. Do I go back to stock or get used to the extension even though I don't see ever really using it. Go easy, I'm brand new to USPSA lol. Shooting my first match in March after a safety class next month. Trying to get things dialed in though. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

22 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

Long story short I traded guns with my wife and her Shadow 2 is now mine. She wanted the extended safety, mostly because she didn't like dropping the hammer on it. I'm not as much of a fan as it changes the grip I'm used to a little bit. Do I go back to stock or get used to the extension even though I don't see ever really using it. Go easy, I'm brand new to USPSA lol. Shooting my first match in March after a safety class next month. Trying to get things dialed in though. 

If the wider safety changes your grip for the worse then get rid of it.  There's zero reason to try to get used to it when there's an easier path.

Personally I absolutely can't stand wide safeties.  I have never had nor will I ever own a pistol that needs a manual safety to be carried so I have no reason to get used to one.

My first S2 had the extended safety on the left side as I shoot with my shooting hand thumb riding the safety. On my second S2 it only came with the flat thumb safety so I tried it that way. During practice the slide would partially lock open for no apparent reason. After a few times I saw the thumb safety was partially engaged and I must have been pushing up on the thumb safety during recoil. A good friend gave me his extended thumb safety and I haven’t had any issues with the slide locking partially back. So I would use the extended thumb safety.

If you run a safety your thumb has to be on it. 
and durning the mag change it’s that thumb hits the mag releases and go right back on top of the safety. 
Everytime I accidentally  engaged the safety while shooting it was the support hand  return back to the gun from a load 

Edited by Superkaratemonkeyfighter

50 minutes ago, HI5-O said:

My first S2 had the extended safety on the left side as I shoot with my shooting hand thumb riding the safety. On my second S2 it only came with the flat thumb safety so I tried it that way. During practice the slide would partially lock open for no apparent reason. After a few times I saw the thumb safety was partially engaged and I must have been pushing up on the thumb safety during recoil. A good friend gave me his extended thumb safety and I haven’t had any issues with the slide locking partially back. So I would use the extended thumb safety.

He said

I'm not as much of a fan as it changes the grip I'm used to a little bit.

I've never had a CZ where I activated the slide stop by mistake.  Only pistol that did that to me was a SIG P226, and it got sold almost immediately. 

Coming from the SP-01 Shadow with the extended thumb safeties, I hated them.  Ended up adding the DSperman heavier detent springs bc my support hand would sometimes bump the safety one.  Ended up switching them out for the flat safeties.  

When I got the Shadow 2 (this is when CZ shipped them with both the flat and extended safeties) I put the flat ones on right of the bat and left it like that ever since.  IMO, when shooting DA/SA guns there’s no need for a thumb safety in our game.  Either your gun has the hammer down at make-ready in DA mode or you’re shooting.  

There’s a few videos online showing the different techniques people use to lower the hammer on a SP-01 or Shadow 2.  Might be worth your wife watching them if she hasn’t. Plus if she does this a bunch of times in dry-fire it might make her feel more comfortable.

6 hours ago, broadside72 said:

You are asking about Carry Optics in USPSA. You don't use the safety. Gun starts hammer down.

Right, that's why I'm asking how many people actually have the extended safety. I ended up pulling it off. Nervous about bumping it during reloads. 

6 hours ago, 2MoreChains said:

Coming from the SP-01 Shadow with the extended thumb safeties, I hated them.  Ended up adding the DSperman heavier detent springs bc my support hand would sometimes bump the safety one.  Ended up switching them out for the flat safeties.  

When I got the Shadow 2 (this is when CZ shipped them with both the flat and extended safeties) I put the flat ones on right of the bat and left it like that ever since.  IMO, when shooting DA/SA guns there’s no need for a thumb safety in our game.  Either your gun has the hammer down at make-ready in DA mode or you’re shooting.  

There’s a few videos online showing the different techniques people use to lower the hammer on a SP-01 or Shadow 2.  Might be worth your wife watching them if she hasn’t. Plus if she does this a bunch of times in dry-fire it might make her feel more comfortable.

She's not allowed to touch MY shadow 2 anymore. I gave her my X5 legion ;)

6 hours ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

Jumping between a SA trigger and the shadow2 CO. 
I put an extended safety on to keep the same draw and hand position as the limited gun.
Most use it as a shelf for your thumb and yes you don’t need to use it for CO as you start in DA  

Is your limited gun another Shadow 2 or a TS2? I'm entertaining the idea of a second CZ for limited or production. Most people around here shoot limited or CO so I'm leaning towards the TS2 but a little worried about transitioning between the two guns. Fondled a TS2 today and it felt really nice.... 

TSO. It’s a great gun. 
I’ve been using a thumbrest that I modified to fit me. The fit is awesome. 
so if I did get s back up gun it would have to be drilled and taped. 
the base model TS2 isn’t. 
The TS2 orange that should be out soon is looking like the way I would go if the price isn’t $3000 or something ridiculous.