Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand New RL1100 Stuck

I just unboxed my RL1100, assembled it, and ran one piece of brass through it, which got stuck on the swaging stage. Now every time I pull the handle down and then up 1/8th it gets stuck. What I am referring to stuck is the ejector tab hits and sticks on the very first tooth of the on toolhead ratchet. This will not allow me to fully move the handle all the way up. I've called Dillon. The technical rep said the ejector tab or the detent screw set might be defunct and will replace the ejector tab/detent screw set. We went over each of these pieces and it appears there is nothing wrong with each piece, so I don't feel like this solved anything. Might the be another issue that is not allowing the ejector tab to move over the teeth without getting stuck?

FD378-E7-C-293-D-443-B-B40-A-DF132229103

3-A5-E2-F47-EDD1-4523-AA87-A213459-E132-

Edited by Orion1

@Orion1 Do a search on the Dillon Ratchet assembly.  I feel confident you will find a huge consensus that highly recommends you entirely remove the ratchet assembly!

As @Furrlyrecommended, and speaking from personal experience, it's a true headache and PIA.  Primarily there to prevent the press from being short-stroked without completely bringing the toolhead to the bottom of it's travel.  This could allow a double charge of powder for a totally inexperienced user........... 

Also note this "failsafe" system is not included on any of Dillons other progressive presses (Square Deal, 550/650/750, etc.).............

👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
To correct description!

Ratchet assembly is transparent when adjusted correctly and there is no need to remove it. It's there to prevent short-stroking, not double-stroking. In fact, you can easily double-stroke if you're working on adjusting or fixing a single station without ever engaging the ratchet since it is reset at the very top of the stroke. The only time the ratchet will lock is if you try to move the arm up before the cycle is complete and then you can still easily unlock it if you indeed want to move the arm up. It's a warning system that kicks in very rarely and which is easy to bypass, so removing it is sort of a lazy way out and looking for trouble. But it's a personal choice, as my buddy three-fingered Pete always says. 

Either way, removing ratchet should be an informed decision and not something you do because you can't adjust it. First, make it work. Then, load ammo with the press the way it's designed. Only then consider modifications if you don't like what you have, or if you think you'll make it better. 

1 hour ago, IVC said:

Either way, removing ratchet should be an informed decision and not something you do because you can't adjust it. First, make it work. Then, load ammo with the press the way it's designed. Only then consider modifications if you don't like what you have, or if you think you'll make it better. 

agreed, I want this feature to work as it should rather removing it. Thanks

12 hours ago, Orion1 said:

agreed, I want this feature to work as it should rather removing it. Thanks

I agree, and fussed with mine until I got it working properly, but even then it was an annoyance, so I ended up removing it. 

But, IVC is correct, it should be an informed decision. 

Try adjusting it this way then. Pull the machine handle down completely, then let go of the handle. Screw the detent screw in towards the ratchet tab (clockwise) until it stops.

Start to lift the handle up gently. The ratachet tab will prevent the handle from being lifted further. Slowly back the detent screw out (counterclockwise) until the handle can lift, and pull the ratchet tab against the ratchet teeth. Make sure the ratchet stays rearward until the end of the upstroke. There will be a point at which the ratchet tab cycles correctly.

On 1/17/2023 at 12:05 PM, dillon said:

Try adjusting it this way then. Pull the machine handle down completely, then let go of the handle. Screw the detent screw in towards the ratchet tab (clockwise) until it stops.

Start to lift the handle up gently. The ratachet tab will prevent the handle from being lifted further. Slowly back the detent screw out (counterclockwise) until the handle can lift, and pull the ratchet tab against the ratchet teeth. Make sure the ratchet stays rearward until the end of the upstroke. There will be a point at which the ratchet tab cycles correctly.

I tried this --> Start to lift the handle up gently. The ratachet tab will prevent the handle from being lifted further. Slowly back the detent screw out (counterclockwise) until the handle can lift, and pull the ratchet tab against the ratchet teeth.

I've screwed the detent screw all the way counter-clockwise and the ratchet tab never goes to another ratchet tooth, thus not allowing the full stage to complete.. Its been ~8 days and still cant figure this out. The only way to enable the press to do one full cycle is by removing the ratchet tab. 

20 hours ago, Orion1 said:

I tried this --> Start to lift the handle up gently. The ratachet tab will prevent the handle from being lifted further. Slowly back the detent screw out (counterclockwise) until the handle can lift, and pull the ratchet tab against the ratchet teeth.

I've screwed the detent screw all the way counter-clockwise and the ratchet tab never goes to another ratchet tooth, thus not allowing the full stage to complete.. Its been ~8 days and still cant figure this out. The only way to enable the press to do one full cycle is by removing the ratchet tab. 

As has been suggested consider just removing the damn thing. 

If you pay attention to your process then it is redundant.

As a newer reloader be especially cautious of the steps you take following an issue which stops your process as that is the point in time where you will likely make a mistake.

The safest option is to address the problem, clean off the shell plate, start another run.

Edited by ddc

Removing the ratchet is just silly. 

It doesn’t cause a problem. If it’s causing a problem, there was likely a problem with the cycle. It’s saving yourself from yourself. Remove all cases and find

your problem.  

The most asinine argument for removal is the noise. Clearly these folks must not use the included case feeder or a bullet feeder - these are just as noisy as the ratchet. 😂 

1 hour ago, Dirty_J said:

Removing the ratchet is just silly. 

Obviously many feel differently. 

I'm curious... what other press, Dillon (other than the 1050) or manufacturer, has such a device?

12 hours ago, ddc said:

Obviously many feel differently. 

I'm curious... what other press, Dillon (other than the 1050) or manufacturer, has such a device?

Yes, and I'm one of them!!!!!

@Dirty_Jas @ddc has stated, what other press that Dillon or anyone else manufactures (other than the 1050) uses such a device to "protect us from ourselves"?

💰🤔

24 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

Yes, and I'm one of them!!!!!

@Dirty_Jas @ddc has stated, what other press that Dillon or anyone else manufactures (other than the 1050) uses such a device to "protect us from ourselves"?

💰🤔

None that I’m aware of…

with presses like the 550, 650 and 750… the output speed is less and the force input to the handle is greater than a 1050/1100. It’s easier to spot a mistake on those slower presses by feel… whereas the mechanical advantage of the 1050/1100 can power right through some mistakes.

It’s a reasonable safety feature for a high output machine imo. 

If you never make a mistake or never short stroke than handle… sure.. the ratchet is an  unnecessary feature… I know too many terrible reloaders to say “just take it off”. They need all the help they can get! 

Seatbelts are also not needed until there’s an issue.. but most

folks are happy to deal with their (minor) inconvenience. 😊 

What's the point of the rachet? To prevent a double charge? Well I've loaded over 30k rounds since I removed the rachet due to all the issue mentioned by @Orion1 and have never had a double charge. When your placing the bullet on a loaded round, manually or via bullet feeder it would almost impossible to not notice a double charge unless your completely oblivious to what you are doing, in that case you should not be loading your own ammo anyways.. 

Best thing I could have done was remove that rachet, and I speak from my own personal experience. 

Edited by Furrly

3 minutes ago, Furrly said:

What's the point of the rachet? To prevent a double charge? Well I've loaded over 30k rounds since I removed the rachet due to all the issue mentioned by @Orion1 and have never had a double charge. When your placing the bullet on a loaded round, manually or via bullet feeder it would almost impossible to not notice a double charge unless your completely oblivious to what you are doing, in that case you should not be loading your own ammo anyways.. 

Best thing I could have done was remove that rachet, and I speak from my own personal experience. 

Why exactly is it the “best thing I could have done”? 

I'm still trying to figure out why large Companies like Frankford Arsenal and Lyman/Mark7 did not include such a "safety feature" on either of their comparable presses?

https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/reloading-tools/presses-and-tools/reloading-presses/x-10-progressive-press-with-case-feeder/1178469.html

https://www.markvii-loading.com/loading-presses/apex-10r.html

IMO, to put this controversial subject in better light, would be if @dillonposted when and why Dillon Precision decided to add this "safety feature" to the 1050/1100 series!

While we've heard a lot of opinions from those that promote it; and those that despise it.  Could there be some history of possibly catastrophic events, by end users, that prompted Dillon's legal team to recommend such a device be added?

Inquiring minds would like to know!

🤔 

The ratchet was introduced with the Rl1050, the replacement for the RL1000. Its purpose in life is to prevent lifting the machine handle if the handle has not been moved completely down. If you short-stroke the handle, you can get a high primer, as well as a bullet not fully seated or crimped. 

With the handle up, turn the detent screw that secures the ratchet tab clockwise, until it stops. This will lock the ratchet tab in place. You might need to detach the powder measure failsafe rod if it interferes. Back the detent screw out (counter-clockwise)1/2 turn. This should allow the ratchet tab to stay to the rear during the handle upstroke. 

5 minutes ago, dillon said:

The ratchet was introduced with the Rl1050, the replacement for the RL1000. Its purpose in life is to prevent lifting the machine handle if the handle has not been moved completely down. If you short-stroke the handle, you can get a high primer, as well as a bullet not fully seated or crimped. 

With the handle up, turn the detent screw that secures the ratchet tab clockwise, until it stops. This will lock the ratchet tab in place. You might need to detach the powder measure failsafe rod if it interferes. Back the detent screw out (counter-clockwise)1/2 turn. This should allow the ratchet tab to stay to the rear during the handle upstroke. 

If this is such an important safety feature then why is it not present on the SDB, 550, 650, and 750?

Because on the other machines, the cases move up and down. On the gray machines, the dies move up and down. On the blue machines you push the handle forward to seat the primer, then the primer cup spring rebounds the platform slightly. No real need for this ratchet on the blue machines. 

On 1/23/2023 at 5:48 PM, dillon said:

Its purpose in life is to prevent lifting the machine handle if the handle has not been moved completely down. If you short-stroke the handle, you can get a high primer, as well as a bullet not fully seated or crimped. 

On 1/25/2023 at 1:50 PM, dillon said:

Because on the other machines, the cases move up and down. On the gray machines, the dies move up and down. On the blue machines you push the handle forward to seat the primer, then the primer cup spring rebounds the platform slightly. No real need for this ratchet on the blue machines. 

So @dillon would it be safe to also say that, since some machines are moving the shell plate "up and down" and the other gray machines are moving the tool head "up and down", the operator does not need to be concerned with a "bullet not fully seated or crimped"?

I'm also wondering if the 1050/1100 ratchet system would help in preventing an over or undercharged amount of powder being dispensed; and going unnoticed?  If so, how is this not a consideration with the XL650/XL750 presses which are considered to also be true progressive machines?

Not being combative or dis-respectful; just truly trying to understand the benefit and purpose of a "safety system" that's needed for the 1050/1100 machines and not the 650/750s.

The ratchet has no effect on the powder charge, as the stroke is in an opposite direction. It is an additional check on primer seating depth included on the industrial loaders, because primer seating depth is adjusted mechanically on them, and no feel on the handle for seating depth. On the blue loaders, primer seating depth is done by hand, by the operator pushing forward on the handle at the end of the upstroke. You can feel when the primer is fully seated, or when it won't seat. You can fail to fully seat a primer on the 750/650 550 loaders, by failing to push forward on the handle fully.